Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up, need some advice (failboat student!)

Options
  • 05-06-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey everyone, I'm a first year student and I've only got 40/60 credits having failed 4 modules in semester 2. I had a pretty bad year all round due to some personal issues that were a big distraction, anyway I'm passed them now.

What's the story now, if anyone knows? I'm willing to resit the exams (money isn't really much of an issue), and I'm even happy if I'm forced to repeat the modules or even first year, it would probably do me some good in fact.

I'm just afraid of being kicked out of college basically and would like some reassurance! :eek:

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

To begin with, you won't be kicked out.

Are your issues serious enough or recent enough to apply for retrospective extenuating circumstances?

If not, you'll probably have to repeat the modules and take some 2nd year modules as you go into year x next semester.

You failed 4 subjects, you should request to see the scripts with your lecturers, check the papers, explain what's going on with you, it's possible you might be able to find a pass in 2 of those subjects due to bad marking originally or pity and not slow down your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 coolbro

dyl10 wrote: »
    To begin with, you won't be kicked out.

Are your issues serious enough or recent enough to apply for retrospective extenuating circumstances?

If not, you'll probably have to repeat the modules and take some 2nd year modules as you go into year x next semester.

You failed 4 subjects, you should request to see the scripts with your lecturers, check the papers, explain what's going on with you, it's possible you might be able to find a pass in 2 of those subjects due to bad marking originally or pity and not slow down your degree.
    What exactly is year X, by the way? If I failed modules in semester 2 (in first year), how am I going to repeat them in semester 1 of next year? Will I be lumped with the new first year students or still be with my current class?

I can't find information on it anywhere...

coolbro wrote: »
    What exactly is year X, by the way? If I failed modules in semester 2 (in first year), how am I going to repeat them in semester 1 of next year? Will I be lumped with the new first year students or still be with my current class?

I can't find information on it anywhere...

If the class isn't offered in Semester 1 usually you can just sit the final as a resit exam at Christmas.

You probably can't find info because it's case by case on how much you can manage, what classes you will take etc.
    I'd say what's likely to happen is that you will take the 4 modules you failed and probably 2 from 2nd year or something like that, but who knows...

You will probably be half a year behind your class now but still may be in some classes with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

If it's only 4 moduels, you can repeat them at Xmas, or, you can repeat the whole moduel in semester 2. I.e Splitting it 2 & 2.

If you JUST repeat the exam, you'll be in the exam with all others who failed that moduel. If you repeat the moduel, you'll be with the incoming first years.

Personally, i'd just get them out of the way in Semester 1. Be advised though, the repeat exams are alot more narrow ( you'll have fewer question choices on the exam paper )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 coolbro

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    If it's only 4 moduels, you can repeat them at Xmas, or, you can repeat the whole moduel in semester 2. I.e Splitting it 2 & 2.

If you JUST repeat the exam, you'll be in the exam with all others who failed that moduel. If you repeat the moduel, you'll be with the incoming first years.

Personally, i'd just get them out of the way in Semester 1. Be advised though, the repeat exams are alot more narrow ( you'll have fewer question choices on the exam paper )
    dyl10 wrote: »
    If the class isn't offered in Semester 1 usually you can just sit the final as a resit exam at Christmas.

You probably can't find info because it's case by case on how much you can manage, what classes you will take etc.
    I'd say what's likely to happen is that you will take the 4 modules you failed and probably 2 from 2nd year or something like that, but who knows...

You will probably be half a year behind your class now but still may be in some classes with them.
    Thanks a million for the input, I understand now. I think I'll email a student advisor to see what the best course of action would be... if they're around during the summer.

• Advertisement

Programme office are very helpful too

Advertisement