Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox and UPC Fibre Power Broadband

• 05-06-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I'm sick and tired of the performance of my Eircom broadband here in Kilkenny, and I'm thinking of switching to UPC Fibre Power Broadband.

My main problem with the Eircom service is when I try to stream video on my Xbox - it is really slow. I phoned Eircom today and apparently I'm on the maximum service for my area. Just wondering if anyone on this community is using UPC, and if it is worth switching from an Xbox perspective?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I have the 10mb UPC package.

it took a lot of fiddeling to get my NAT port OPEN, (used to be moderate), but that is prob down to the router.

i seem to have problems with Party chat and being unable to connect to them most of the time, but that usually isnt a problem cause i dont really have friends online. ;(

otherwise, fast as hell 24/7 and low pings FTW.

by streaming, do you mean from xbox video marketplace or from your PC?

just a heads up, the UPC supplied EPC2425 modem router is a peice of poo

also a search for EPC2425 on boards shows nothing but problem threads do yourself a favour, invest in a router and get UPC's scientific atlantic modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have UPC since November and the speeds are great, low pings no lag. Setting up was very easy and the 2425 that people are having issues all over the place with works just fine for me. I have 3 laptops, a PC, a 360 and PS3 all connected to it wirelessly.

I can't complain, if you can get them, go for it. I asked for the SA router when it was being installed and the guy said he didn't have any spare and I explained about all the issues I heard about the 2425. He looked at me and said, "boards, yeah". So he must get that alot. He gave me his personal number and told me if I have any trouble with it he can provide me the next model up Cisco router, that UPC don't stock and he would set it up for a small fee. I didn't have to go down that road but sound guy all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

AFAIK Eircom are upgrading everyone's connection shortly so probably best to sit tight for the minute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Liam O wrote: »
    AFAIK Eircom are upgrading everyone's connection shortly so probably best to sit tight for the minute...

In fairness Eircom can't compare to UPC on speed, price, performance and monthly download cap.

They never will, Eircom are still using out dated technology even with their new super duper space age upgrade, it's a all marketing BS.

They fact you don't have any line rental with UPC because they use coax is a big saving right off the bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Liam O wrote: »

I'm on the upgraded Eircom connection (the NGB thing) and it's not much of an improvement:
    840887101.png

18427640.png

Good enough for online play but the ping times can go up to 60ms sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to clarify regarding problems streaming video on my Xbox using Eircom - on the Xbox dashboard there are regular videos with things such as game previews and hints/tips. Every time I play these they pause every few minutes, in order to stream the content. I have the same problem when using Sky Player, and I have to use the lowest quality setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

DerryRed wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. Just to clarify regarding problems streaming video on my Xbox using Eircom - on the Xbox dashboard there are regular videos with things such as game previews and hints/tips. Every time I play these they pause every few minutes, in order to stream the content. I have the same problem when using Sky Player, and I have to use the lowest quality setting.
    steaming those will have ZERO problems, even on the highest settings with UPC.

personally, ill be renewing my BB when my contract expires, and getting the 15mb UPC package.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I can't get the xbox to work at all with the UPC Cisco EPC2425 says the mtu is too low. Can't get UPC to help say they don't support xbox. I'll happily buy a new modem - I have a great belkin N+ router I can use but can anyone tell me what I should be buying as the phone is connected to it as well, so what do I need to look for when making the purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm having serious problems with UPC/Xbox - and would appreciate any help at all.

Basically when my son is playing Xbox - there's a constant lagging issue and when he's chatting on the earphones there's a lag there too. This problem started three months ago and is still continuing. Can somebody please help. thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

deelite wrote: »
    I'm having serious problems with UPC/Xbox - and would appreciate any help at all.

Basically when my son is playing Xbox - there's a constant lagging issue and when he's chatting on the earphones there's a lag there too. This problem started three months ago and is still continuing. Can somebody please help. thanx

Try disabling the firewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

loads of messing about .....but as good as it gets for me with upc...

817041048.png

dont have one happy friend with either eircom or upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

So who are your friends with - I was going to go with Eircom but if they're just as bad I think I'll hold off.

Advertisement