Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing tenant drinking at front of house

Options
  • 05-06-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

On the street I live on, the row of houses across the road from me are owned by the council for social housing.
    Given the nice spell of weather, one of the tenants in these houses is constantly out the front of the house on her little lawn drinking beer and wine, and often some of the other tenants on that road join her.
    There can often be groups of 6 or more outside all drinking, and sometimes listening to load music which travels down the street.
    Is this legal or what is the situation?
    I have reported it to the SDCC on numerous occasions, but it still happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

One of your neighbours sits outside her house when the weather is fine. That's terrible. How awful for you. These social housing people are so inconsiderate. and she is corrupting your other neighbours who talk to her. maybe you could have a word with them and ask them to ostracise her as they may not fully appreciate how inappropriate sitting outside in the sunshine is. or maybe you could turn a hose on her if you can't get the police to arrest her or the Council to evict her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

She's on her own property, so there isn't much you can do about the drinking.

The noise is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Why did you mention that its social housing. What difference does that make?

I would think that you are a snob:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

you can still do something about it if they are drinking in apublic place

Drinking in public
    Under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, it is an offence for you to be so drunk in a public place that you could reasonably be presumed to be a danger to yourself or to anyone around you. If found guilty of this offence, you could be fined €500 and a member of the Garda Siochana can confiscate any alcohol you may be carrying.

It is illegal for a licence holder to sell alcohol in a closed container (i.e., can or bottle) for consumption off the premises in a place 100 metres from the premises. If you purchase alcohol in this way, you can be fined €300 by the Gardai.

While there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public, each local authority area is entitled to pass bye-laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol in a public place. Contact your local authority to find out about these bye-laws in your area.

Under the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 the Gardaí have the power to seize alcohol in the possession of a child under 18 years of age where the Gardaí have reasonable cause to believe that the alcohol will be consumed by a child under 18 years in a public place.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/alcohol_and_the_law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

cullen5998 wrote: »
    Why did you mention that its social housing. What difference does that make?

I would think that you are a snob:D

It's not OP's fault that his neighbour happens to fit into the stereotype description of being a leech, scrounger, living off other peoples hard earned tax money. Drinking beer everyday in the garden whie living in a free house with a generous weekly allowance from the state, medical card, etc- you couldn't it up and no wonder this country fooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

tevion wrote: »
    On the street I live on, the row of houses across the road from me are owned by the council for social housing.
    Given the nice spell of weather, one of the tenants in these houses is constantly out the front of the house on her little lawn drinking beer and wine, and often some of the other tenants on that road join her.
    There can often be groups of 6 or more outside all drinking, and sometimes listening to load music which travels down the street.
    Is this legal or what is the situation?
    I have reported it to the SDCC on numerous occasions, but it still happens.
    :eek: drinking eh! what little you have to be doing,reporting people for listening to music and drinking beer and wine.......you couldnt expect support for posting something like this now could you?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

Hey all,

i will say that it makes no difference whether you're in social housing or not the intoxicating liquer act 1994 covers it. your front garden is in view of the public whether they like it or not. unfortunately for you you'll have to make do with the fact that your neighbours drink in the sunny weather. if you report it its likely that when the guards arrive she'll walk into the house and its then no more than a caution. the only other avenue for you is to call the guards after 10.30pm if the music is blaring because they are being a nuisance, other than that crank your radio up and have your own party ......best of luck to you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It is illegal for a licence holder to sell alcohol in a closed container (i.e., can or bottle) for consumption off the premises in a place 100 metres from the premises. If you purchase alcohol in this way, you can be fined €300 by the Gardai.

Does that mean you can't go to your local offy if your house/apartment/flat is less then 100m from it? Have to warn my friends their breaking the law before the Gardaí get them:D
    Elzer wrote: »
    Hey all,

i will say that it makes no difference whether you're in social housing or not the intoxicating liquer act 1994 covers it. your front garden is in view of the public whether they like it or not. unfortunately for you you'll have to make do with the fact that your neighbours drink in the sunny weather. if you report it its likely that when the guards arrive she'll walk into the house and its then no more than a caution. the only other avenue for you is to call the guards after 10.30pm if the music is blaring because they are being a nuisance, other than that crank your radio up and have your own party ......best of luck to you.....

The Gardai can't do anything. It's been covered on numerous threads before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I have a rather large front window that people can easilly see my whole front room through. I better stop drinking in my front room as it's illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

rubensni wrote: »
    She's on her own property, so there isn't much you can do about the drinking.

The noise is a different story.

She isn't, she's on SDCC property!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The peace in my back garden is destroyed in warm weather by other people using their own back gardens for BBQs and playing awful music (ie not to my taste) or even just talking or calling to each other. Quite often alcohol is consumed. Really annoying!

:rolleyes:
    But it is annoying all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Its not just social housing,its those pesky students too!!! :p When I lived in Rathmines and in the summer everyone was out on the front steps having a few drinks and kicking a ball around. I loved it,thought it was a nice vibe!! But then we are all young and no kids were around!!!:D

Maybe she doesnt get the sun in the back of her house,thats why shes in the front. :)

Del2005 wrote: »
    Does that mean you can't go to your local offy if your house/apartment/flat is less then 100m from it? Have to warn my friends their breaking the law before the Gardaí get them:D

The Gardai can't do anything. It's been covered on numerous threads before.

The guards can do something the law changed on the first of september 2009 this means any public drinking can be stopped and alcohol removed from these people. Google it........:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

She's not drinking in a public place though. It's still her own home, whether you can see it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

sesna wrote: »
    It's not OP's fault that his neighbour happens to fit into the stereotype description of being a leech, scrounger, living off other peoples hard earned tax money. Drinking beer everyday in the garden whie living in a free house with a generous weekly allowance from the state, medical card, etc- you couldn't it up and no wonder this country fooked.

If it's so great then why don't you try it out yourself??? :rolleyes:

The Cool wrote: »
    She's not drinking in a public place though. It's still her own home, whether you can see it or not.

It is considered public drinking even if your in your own front garden, it would only be considered a private party if its kept to your house or back garden....... Its a public disorder offence. Guards can still confiscate and destroy any alcohol you have in your hand or by you..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Elzer wrote: »
    It is considered public drinking even if your in your own front garden, it would only be considered a private party if its kept to your house or back garden....... Its a public disorder offence. Guards can still confiscate and destroy any alcohol you have in your hand or by you..........

Really? I'm surprised at that tbh. I would've thought that once you're on your own property then you're not considered to be "in public".

Of course the music, you could argue, would be a disturbance (not that people seem to give a shhhh) but if you're sitting in your front garden drinking I'd be surprised that the gardai can come onto your property and speak to you about it.

Advertisement