Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G'wan Louth!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TommyT wrote: »
    No decision as yet on replay.

“The management committee no decision made on offering a replay – we want a bit of time in relation to other matters being discussed,” he
    said.

“We received no email with a copy of the referees report (from Croke Park).”

There was a query to get a copy of the referees report by Pat O’Neill
    from the St Colmcilles club, the club of Meath half-forward Graham
    Reilly.

O’Neill added, “We can’t do anything if the referee doesn’t give us the report.”

Source?

Can't understand what they expect to see in the report. The dogs on the street know what happened at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

22:46
    Louth County Executive Committee had a meeting and reviewed the post match incidents at the LSFC final, Louth v Meath.

On behalf of Louth GAA we wish to condem the unsavoury incidents after the match. We will provide full co-operation with the relevant authorities to deal with the offenders.

We are also seeking a copy of the referees report for clarification purposes to enable the Louth executive committee to consider all options available.

We wish to confirm that no further official statements will be forthcoming on behalf of the Louth County Board on this matter until further notice

source: http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/12/decision-on-meath-v-louth-replay-live-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

99% that there will be no offer of a replay.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0713/meath_louth.html

A replay would be a disaster for so many reasons, most already pointed out in the Gaa forum.

As a Meath man I feel it was a hollow victory but its time to move on and forget about it.

Imagine what a replay and a loss in that would do to Louth, they'd be crushed, using what happened as motivation in the qualifiers would be much better for Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

fully agree with this^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

yep.

In an ideal scenario Meath should offer a replay and Louth should politely and graciously decline and we can all move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

draffodx wrote: »
    99% that there will be no offer of a replay.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0713/meath_louth.html

A replay would be a disaster for so many reasons, most already pointed out in the Gaa forum.

As a Meath man I feel it was a hollow victory but its time to move on and forget about it.

Imagine what a replay and a loss in that would do to Louth, they'd be crushed, using what happened as motivation in the qualifiers would be much better for Louth.
    I agree, sure they're crushed already and just couldn't do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

millington wrote: »
    I agree, sure they're crushed already and just couldn't do it all again.

Yes they will foght like lions in the qualifiers and will have massive Louth support, the entire county will decend on their next game dressed in red and roaring their lungs out.....

Typical GAA, they get away scot free and put the pressure on Meath to do the decent thing. The ref has admitted that he made a mistake, a huge mistake in this instance, surely it is up to the GAA to sort this out. You would think another pay day in Croke Park would be exactly what they would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

Louth are Leinster Champions end of, no decent respecting Football Player
    could possibly show that medal with pride after being beaten by two points
    as Meath were,I'm sorry now but Louth are Champions....... well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

mark17 wrote: »

Unfortunately as much as i would love to claim it as a Louthman, we aint the champions, the trophy aint home with us this week.
    Doesnt matter now what happens regarding replays/ offers etc... for me the moment has been ruined and destroyed for ever.Sunday was our moment, our moment to savour for ever more, bitter pill to swallow.
    I am sure there are many more Louth folk with me, the pain of sunday will haunt me forever even if we were to win Leinster in the coming years.
    It is highly unlikely we will win Sam for a long long time but to win Leinster title for all the players , ex players, Gaa stalwarts in the county .. eg Charlie McAllister etc was the crowning glory for us all even if we never won another game again.
    Sunday was our moment in the sun after 50 + years in the wilderness and nothing will replace it.Maybe thats just me .

• Advertisement

Well done d`Argus, they have called it as it is on the front page. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Looks like its over and done with now ,
    http://www.balls.ie/?p=2572

Any proper Meath fan couldn't or shouldn't be happy with such a hollow victory.

Awfully disheartened over it all, god knows how the players, staff and management feel. They should all be very proud though they've the country's backing, well 31 counties anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

mark17 wrote: »

You need help try 999

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I agree with a lot of folk.
    Its a hollow victory indeed and not one in ANY way they can hold their heads up high about.
    If there was any decency in the management of the Meath GAA, a replay should be offered in fairness and in gamesmanship.

..Otherwise for the rest of Irish sporting history they will be recognised at the county that won nothing but the stain of cheating and ill-sportsmanship for ever more in the records of the sport.

I most certainly wouldn't want my name to be on that team which brought that stain about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of folk.
    Its a hollow victory indeed and not one in ANY way they can hold their heads up high about.
    If there was any decency in the management of the Meath GAA, a replay should be offered in fairness and in gamesmanship.

..Otherwise for the rest of Irish sporting history they will be recognised at the county that won nothing but the stain of cheating and ill-sportsmanship for ever more in the records of the sport.

I most certainly wouldn't want my name to be on that team which brought that stain about!

Gamesmanship is the opposite of sportsmanship. ;)

As I've said elsewhere and someone else said above there should've been a replay offered by Meath for posterity and Louth should turn it down. But that would be too much like being sensible for GAA politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Time to move on Louth!

"They think its all over, it is now";)

Well the verdict is in (no replay offered) and I guess we have a team that "won" by being cheating.
    They can hang their heads with shame.
    So it will be recorded in Irish sporting history with every one of their names attached.

Well the verdict is in (no replay offered) and I guess we have a team that "won" by being cheating.
    So it will be recorded in Irish sporting history with every one of their names attached.

No they won by an incorrect decision not cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

bryaner wrote: »
    No they won by an incorrect decision not cheating.

And they were given a choice to offer a replay to Louth, and they decided not to - so what does that mean?

"Won by incorrect decision, and decided to keep it despite the choices"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Biggins, do you take pleasure in posting up such ridiculous messages. It was a game of football, it was a wrong decision..............just like in all other areas of life, wrong decisions are made.

Meath don't have to hang their heads in shame but maybe some of the Louth supporters should if losing a game means they react so aggresively. God knows you must feel proud of the supporter who punched Mark Ward at the final whistle, what a credit he is to your county.

Move on and look towards the qualifiers and hopefully your support will be just as big in numbers for that.

Awfully disheartened over it all, god knows how the players, staff and management feel. They should all be very proud though they've the country's backing, well 31 counties anyway.

Certainly not! Iv'e been talking to a lot of Dubs and people from other counties
    and their very unimpressed with the louth fans lairy behaviour inside and outside
    Croke park.

positron wrote: »
    And they were given a choice to offer a replay to Louth, and they decided not to - so what does that mean?

"Won by incorrect decision, and decided to keep it despite the choices"?

Happens week in week out thats life.

Well its all a matter for debate to he honest so either way, its a "win" that leaves a bad taste in the mouth as they say.
    No matter, life goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

bryaner wrote: »

Certainly not! Iv'e been talking to a lot of Dubs and people from other counties
    and their very unimpressed with the louth fans lairy behaviour inside and outside
    Croke park.

You haven't contradicted what I posted though?

The few fans that assaulted the referee were out of order and will face the full rigors of the law. It's a separate issue.

You haven't contradicted what I posted though?

The few fans that assaulted the referee were out of order and will face the full rigors of the law. It's a separate issue.

I'm not on about what happened on the pitch, I'm referring to their behaviour
    in the stands and prior to the match very lairy which probably is the outcome
    of spending most of their time at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

I hope Martin Breheny who wrote "Wee can't reply" and the Meath supporters justifying no replay here, were also in full acceptance of France winning over Ireland on World Cup qualifiers with Theirry Henry's hand ball.

Because if not, they would be what you call 'hypocrites'.

Good overall article and some concise good points.
    Clearly something good has come out of the whole mess, that lessons have to be learned.
    Now if the student named "GAA" is listening and willing to follow up on errors of the past is another question altogether.
    Here's hoping. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

positron wrote: »
    I hope Martin Breheny who wrote "Wee can't reply" and the Meath supporters justifying no replay here, were also in full acceptance of France winning over Ireland on World Cup qualifiers with Theirry Henry's hand ball.

Because if not, they would be what you call 'hypocrites'.

I was against any replay at the time. I've been watching sport long enough to know that these things happen. If you're on the beneficial side then great, if you're not then it's a kick in the balls.
    Louth had a man sent off for a dirty tackle in injury time. JP Rooney kicked the ball away three times from a Meath free in injury time too in a blatant attempt to waste time. Is he a cheat? He got punished, the ref added more time because of it and Meath ended up scoring the goal.
    I bet JP regrets that now.......

Advertisement