Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any value/discount general stores in Galway?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

just moved from Sligo to Galway and was wondering if there are any 'value' stores in Galway that offer household/basic electric stuff/tools etc.

Sligo had a place called House of Value which had all kinds of things at inexpensive prices. Don't think that is a chain store but it may also exist in Galway. Another store was Mary's of Sligo. Not sure if there is a Mary's of Galway or something similar.

Was looking for one of those Phillips Energy light bulbs but Tesco etc. charged E5.99-E6.99 for it while I bought the same bulb in Sligo at house of value for E2.99-3.99. Also looking for some inexpensive pots and pans.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know the name of the store and the street its on. I also checked the 2Euro store but they didn't have any energy light bulbs nor any pots for Euro 2 but that's somewhat understandable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've never found an equivalent to house of value/mary's in Galway. There are a couple of shops in Terryland House that look promising until you get inside and then you realise they're mostly empty and what's there isn't useful.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist... I've just never found it. There is a Mary's in Athlone though, if you have a car and a reason to go to Athlone for something else (afaik there's a nice lebanese place that we've been meaning to try for months now)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Thanks I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a car so Athlone isn't really an option. I was just thinking that Galway is so much bigger than Sligo you would assume that these stores should exist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There used to be a Mary's of Galway, but it shut down like 5 years ago(?)...it was where the 2euro store & Foodhall place now is on eglinton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

CFL bulbs: Ive seen some of these for 1euro at a stall in the Sunday Market in Claregalway, also a while back I think CT Electric,Sean Mulvoy Rd, were advertising them for 1euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Arnies Discount Store, across the road from Dunnes Stores Westside SC, Green shop cant miss it in the Business Center where "Fine Wines" is.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Thanks, a few places to check out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rh5555 wrote: »
    Thanks I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a car so Athlone isn't really an option. I was just thinking that Galway is so much bigger than Sligo you would assume that these stores should exist.

Sligo's a lot closer to the border: I've been told that this has brought a greater reality level into prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

rh5555 wrote: »

Was looking for one of those Phillips Energy light bulbs but Tesco etc. charged E5.99-E6.99 for it while I bought the same bulb in Sligo at house of value for E2.99-3.99. Also looking for some inexpensive pots and pans.

Do you mean these bulbs? I can't believe the difference in price between Ireland and the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/equivalent-output-Philips-Energy-Bayonet/dp/B000MOS2PY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1275924328&sr=8-7

Advertisement