Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Sleep Please... Anyone???

Options
  • 05-06-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I have a lovely little lad, he is nearly 11 months old. He is pretty good getting to sleep but he seems to be waking earlier and earlier. He goes down 7.30 and a good day is a 6 o'clock start, a bad day is any where from 4 to 6. He does not sleep a lot during the day, maybe an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon but he will often not go down in the morning at all.

He is normally in good form and does not seem to worried by the lack of sleep, its me who is completely wiped out. I know he is teething but there is not much i can do for him while he is sleeping and he then he is wide awake. We have the black out curtains and he is not especially hungry when he wakes and will play happily

Just interested to see if this is average and do i just need to go to bed earlier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is he happy enough to just play away when he wakes? In such a case, I'd just leave him alone.

What about making bedtime about 8:30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

Morning Victor,
    5.30 today :(.. He is happy to play on my lap or down stairs but he screams till i go pick him out of the cot....

Yea the later bed time is an idea but he is normally wiped out by 7 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

5.30 today :(..
    I saw your post time. :)
    He is happy to play on my lap or down stairs but he screams till i go pick him out of the cot....
    Realise that this is him manipulating you.
    Yea the later bed time is an idea but he is normally wiped out by 7 ...
    Change it by 10 minutes a day and a week later he'll be going to bed an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Another tip is to move the morning nap untill the afternoon, so say about 12 put him down, let him sleep for an hour or two and wake him up or let him wake up then no more nap til bed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Fairly similar to my young lad, he's over seven months now. He used to be up a six/half six every morning. I used to have to take a nap with him when he went back down in the morning, too tired to do anything else, but dont think my boss would be too happy about giving me naps so had to change things.
    What i did is go back to basics, work out his routine exactly.
    Sleep begets sleep. It dosent sound to me like your son is getting enough sleep during the day. I know you say he's fine without it, but so was my lad, but now he takes two, two hour naps and sleeps longer and better at night.
    I follow his routine exactly and try to prevent variations from it unless absolutley necessary.
    you have to me strict for a while, naps at the same time every day, bed at the same time, to get him to nap let him cry if necessary, but reassure him that your there every few minutes. Even if he just sits and plays in the cot, he'll soon get used to the idea that he's going to it weather he likes it or not

On a side point when my son was waking early some mornings i would just pull him into bed with me, leave the lights off and just cuddle him without talking to him, sometimes he would drop off back asleep, giving me an extra hour, realise that this might not be feasible with an 11 month old tho.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. . I think you are dead right gogo, i don't think he is getting enough sleep. Today he slept on my from 9am to 10am and other then a couple of sleeps in the car that was it I have the night time routine down but i have never been able to get him into a firm day time one. We have set meal times but I have never been able to get him to sleep during the day at set times. I think its time to dust of the baby whisper....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Victor wrote: »

Change it by 10 minutes a day and a week later he'll be going to bed an hour later.

great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

My DS is the same. He's 10 months and wakes at 6am. It doesn't matter what time he goes to bed at, he always wakes at 6am.
    I have decided that tonight I am just going to leave him there at 6am and see if he'll go back to sleep. The thing with my DS is that he'll go back to sleep if you give him some bottle at 6am but doesn't settle well at all. He comes into bed with me and tosses and turns and cries. He is a very windy baby and going to sleep straight after the bottle doesn't suit him.

I have found it impossible to get a set napping routine with him too. He naps at around the same time every day but the lengths constantly vary.
    Today he slept for an hour and ten minutes in the cot in the morning and about an hour and a quarter in the afternoon in the car. Surely this is enough for a ten month old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

have been through the ringer with sleep with my little guy, but one thing to be set on is an 'up' time. so if you want to stay in bed until 7am treat all time upto that as though it was the middle of the night. if he woke up at 2am what would you do? do the same at 6:50. and make an 'up time' clear.
    it will be a pain for a few days, but he will learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mummys Tummy

just wondering have you tried learning baby massage? it can really help to get babies ready for bed, either for day time naps or at night. it tires them out and is very relaxing for them too

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone..

so tired... seems i gave birth to a 5.30 alarm clock!! Which is fine for him cause he tends to go back for a nap at 9 where as i have to go to work :(

It is so nice just to hear i am not the only one. But i think it is time to get tough.I think the "up" time is a good idea and i am going to try that. I don't think putting him to bed later would work with him, it does not seem to make a difference any time we have been later for bed time.

Have not tired baby massage, will look into it.

i wonder would they notice if i feel asleep at my desk.....zzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mummys Tummy

good idea what location are you in? find your local classes on www.babymassageireland.com good luck!

Advertisement