Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Now?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Back in the late '60s/early 70s [i.e., when I was young and single], a friend of mine lived in Crumlin and when I visited her there, it struck me as nice, quiet neighbourhood of working class families in neat little houses. However, she sadly appeared ashamed of the town, thinking it was somehow looked down upon, although I really couldn't understand her feeling, as it seemed very cosy to me.

Anyway, I've recently seen a number of reasonably priced Crumlin homes listed on Daft and am hoping to possibly return to Dublin, I'm wondering if the area has undergone much change or deteriorated at all.

Also, as I am disabled with mobility problems, I'm especially interested in knowing about nearby shopping centres/areas.

Your comments/insights would be much appreciated.

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Whereabouts in Crumlin (re: access to amenities) mate? I know the area well.

Personally I think it's a grand enough area but this forum has a wide geographical spread of users and the perception of an area can vary widely depending on the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Well, as it has been so many years, I no longer really know which part of Crumlin would suit. However, my physical condition requires me to use a mobility scooter, so it would have to be quite near to shops. I don't currently own a car and would probably have to eventually buy one, but would like to be able to put off that expense for a bit.

Ergo, my travelling range would be rather limited due to the necessity of working within the standard scooter battery life. That averages no more than 10 miles maximum, including allowance for rough v smooth pathways, riding 'round inside shops, etc., etc. For example, in just doing a normal shop for one inside a standard Superquinn or Tesco in the past, I've used up a good couple of miles or more. Distance to and from is extra.

So, after all that verbiage [sorry!], what I guess I'm trying to say is that I'd need to be pretty much next-door to a supermarket or centre.

In addition to Crumlin, have you any thoughts about other affordable South Dublin areas worth considering? [Much and all as I'd prefer Rathgar/Rathmines/Terenure, they're sadly far beyond my means.]
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Reckon a place near Crumlin Village would suit you, plenty of shops, post office, building society, bookies, pubs, cafe, take aways, large church even has a shop that sells/repairs mobility scooters.
    Supermarkets, there are 2, a Tesco Express and a Centra and 5 min walk from the village here is the Ashleaf SC with a Dunnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd endorse the above, OP.

At the Dolphin's Barn end of Crumlin, there is Crumlin Shopping Centre which, although becoming almost derelict these days, has a Tesco, Dunnes and Pharmacy as well as smattering of shops on the Crumlin and Old County Roads.

The Kimmage end of Crumlin has a large Superquinn and some other shops (at the end of Sundrive road).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Thanks, so much, for the info ... I really appreciate the help each of you has given me. The Village certainly seems to fit perfectly.
    Ta, again!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have a friend living near Kilworth Rd and its grand. Think the problem with Crumlin as with all 'bad rep areas' is that a tiny minority ruins the good rep of the decent majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

As the above poster said it's a nice enough area ruined by a couple of gangs living there. It's home one of the biggest / nastiest drug gangs in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

RMD wrote: »
    As the above poster said it's a nice enough area ruined by a couple of gangs living there. It's home one of the biggest / nastiest drug gangs in Dublin.

Well in all fairness it may be the HQ for for a couple of gangs, but a good load of the members don't even live in Crumlin., they're scattered all around Dublin 8, Dublin 12 and even down towards Dublin 2 way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I'm from Crumlin, never had 1 bit of trouble neither has any of my family, its a great working class area and people who grow up there tend to stay there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

If i were you OP,I would remember its like moving into any area that's so built up ,plenty of good honest working people and old school Irish.But the element of junkies and lay abouts is just as high.But depends whereabouts you are looking at.
    I would drive around the houses you are looking to buy for a couple of nights and get a feel for it.
    If you are close to our lady's hospital,that's a pretty nice area.Dolphins barn i would stay well away from.You don't want to be walking around there on your own at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

caseyann wrote: »
    plenty of good honest working people and old school Irish.But the element of junkies and lay abouts is just as high.

Thats wrong! Of course there are a few but to say there is as many junkies as there is of ordinary decent working class people is very misleading imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I lived in Crumlin for the best part of 30 years and never had any problems. It’s a fine place to live with parks, swimming pools, shops, hospitals and good transport links into town. Up near the village is probably the nicest part.

Advertisement