Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin/ where to start?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit in the dark about Zeppelin apart from the fact that what i've heard sounds quality.

So for a complete novice where should I start??(album)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Hmm that's a tough one.

You could literally start anywhere but I suggest Led Zeppelin IV or Led Zeppelin I.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get there greatest hits album :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Start at the begining and listen and watch how they became the best band ever. From Led Zeppelin to In through the out door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'd have IV in my top albums of all time, so probably that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

the logical place to start is I ??? A band's back catalog should always be listened to in the chronological order if its the first time you are hearing it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    I'm a bit in the dark about Zeppelin apart from the fact that what i've heard sounds quality.

So for a complete novice where should I start??(album)

Agree with the above - listen straight through chronologically - easy with all the illegal downloading these days. :D

If you are planning to just buy one album, I'd say How The West Was Won, the 3cd live disk. Just amazing, really. Nothing wrong with a greatest hits either, first Led Zeppelin I listened to was my brothers' Remasters greatest hits double cd which is awesome although doesn't really give a strong sense of their incredible musical variety that you might get from any one of their individual albums.

My favourite album is Physical Graffiti but you are going to get different opinions from everyone on here on which is the best.
    I'm envious that are you listening to all them songs for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

start with 4, its easily the best for getting into zep. Then I'd go 1, 2, 3, Houses of the holy and Physical graffitti. The final 3 studio albums are not as good in my opinion although they still have a lot going on for them. Song remains the same is a bit bloated and its really for the fans.

Enjoy and i kind of envy you to be just getting into zep!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

damonjewel wrote: »
    start with 4, its easily the best for getting into zep. Then I'd go 1, 2, 3, Houses of the holy and Physical graffitti. The final 3 studio albums are not as good in my opinion although they still have a lot going on for them. Song remains the same is a bit bloated and its really for the fans.

Enjoy and i kind of envy you to be just getting into zep!
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

My favourite album is Physical Graffiti but you are going to get different opinions from everyone on here on which is the best.
    I'm envious that are you listening to all them songs for the first time.

agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 zonad

Start at Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only 8 studio albums (plus an offcuts called Coda), start at the first and work through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Listen straight through chronologically would be my advice, but if you don't want to do that, then Physical Graffiti, III, and IV would be my shouts.

Another option would be to get Mothership, see what tracks you like best, and then work from the albums those tracks are on.

Regardless of which route you take in starting to listen to Led Zepplin, you have some great music coming your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The Early Days Best Of is also a great collection of the first four albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

4, 2, 3, physical graffiti, 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Start I to IV then give the BBC Sessions a listen.
    Actually here they all are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_discography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There has never been a better sound off a set of drums then 'When the levee breaks'

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I got a double hits album, listening to the first CD in the car at the mo.

My thinking is if I like this I'll go back and start the collection from the start.

There's some quality stuff on this and it just reminds me how bad it is that I have to go backwards to find something decent to listen to:mad:

Thanks for all the replies......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    ......it just reminds me how bad it is that I have to go backwards to find something decent to listen to:mad:

Man, Ive been listening to Rock / Metal for almost 25yrs and I still do that

Advertisement