Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cramp

• 05-06-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I did my longest spin to date this morning at just under 100km, 90km in my hamstrings and quads started to simultaneously cramp, wasn't too pleasant. I was well hydrated with both water and gatorade.

I have noticed on previous rides that I get quite a strong build up of salt on my face and shorts in warm weather, so I'm pretty sure losing so much sodium is the reason it happened.

My question is, what do people who have the same problem do to replace the salt? I have been told I should throw one of those little sachets of salt into each bottle of water, but that seems a little disgusting, are their any other sports drinks/mixes that have sodium in them too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

dioralyte-sachets-natural.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

any of the well known sport drinks contain salt, like high5, or powerbar and others..maxim is another, when I used them I was on high 5 sometimes isotonic for really hot and long training days. oh Nuun tablets are also getting popular similar idea replacing salts and nutrients

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Like everybody else has said, try and replace salts.

I've been taking magnesium and calcium tablets daily for the past couple of weeks after I cramped really badly in an open water swim. I also used to cramp regularly on the bike after about an hour.

I haven't cramped since, but reckon it's too soon to be 100% sure it's fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

+1 with the reccomentation for dioralyte

we use it for rehydrating after cutting water weight for fights and its the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Joxer_S wrote: »
    I did my longest spin to date this morning at just under 100km, 90km in my hamstrings and quads started to simultaneously cramp, wasn't too pleasant. I was well hydrated with both water and gatorade.

I have noticed on previous rides that I get quite a strong build up of salt on my face and shorts in warm weather, so I'm pretty sure losing so much sodium is the reason it happened.

My question is, what do people who have the same problem do to replace the salt? I have been told I should throw one of those little sachets of salt into each bottle of water, but that seems a little disgusting, are their any other sports drinks/mixes that have sodium in them too?

I sweat profusely (always have).
    I have never suffered from cramp despite salt pn my shorts/helmet strap/glasses.
    I wear a sweat band inside my helmet to offset sweat getting in my eyes and rolling down my face.

My point is that your cramping may not be due to sweating/overheating.
    If anyone ought to suffer from cramping due to sweating, it is me.
    And I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

My point is that your cramping may not be due to sweating/overheating.

True, it was up around 30 degrees, supplementing the energy drinks will at least rule it out as a cause if it keeps happening.

Cheers everybody for the responses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used to use dioralyte, but don't bother now. The sachets are expensive and fussy.

I just use a pinch or two of salt and some glucose powder (tip from Raam).

You can just vary the amount of salt/glucose depending on the weather and what sort of ride you're planning.

Advertisement