Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Dublin

Options
  • 05-06-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Dublin from Galway with my girlfriend and looking for some accommodation. We don't know this city too much so we'd appreciate your opinion.

Which neighborhoods should we avoid and which of them are desirable?

We've been thinking about Kimmage, Dundrum, Rialto and Charlemont.. But the name doesn't say anything to us.

We're looking for a place from where we can have a good connection with the centre as we're both gonna look for some work and a place scumbags-free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

It really depends on how much you're willing to commute. Anywhere on the DART or the Green Luas Line (Sandyford Line) is an easy commute to town, and are (with one or two exceptions) generally low on scumbags. The downside is higher rent. daft.ie allows you to search by transport route in the advanced search options here:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[advanced]=1&s[college_id]=&fr=default

There are, of course, plenty of other nice areas, and most are well serviced by bus routes. The traffic can be a pain in the rear, though anywhere along the main bus corridors (the main arteries out of the city centre through the suburbs) seem to be quick enough.

Out of the areas you mentioned, Dundrum is on the Green Luas Line and has plenty of amenities in the local area with the Town Centre. The other three are a little (or a lot in Rialto's case!) scumbag heavy, but I don't know them too well to say for sure. There's not a whole lot of no go areas anymore, but I'd suggest avoiding Finglas and Tallaght for sure. There are plenty of nice people from those areas, but there are plenty of not so nice ones too!

I'm sure other people will be able to guide you more about specific areas they know better than me.

Good luck with the move and the search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

your moving to dublin without a job and hoping to live in a place that is scumbag free??

are you bringing the money trees with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You'd be much better off finding a job first. There is no point in getting a place in Dundrum if you find a job out in Swords for example. Have you friends in Dublin you can stay with whilst job-hunting? Rathmines is generally a good area when first moving to Dublin, it's near the city centre and there is quite a buzz around there. It's traditionally flat-land though so it depends on your budget and age/interests etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Rathmines is generally a good area when first moving to Dublin, it's near the city centre and there is quite a buzz around there. It's traditionally flat-land though so it depends on your budget and age/interests etc.

+1 for Rathmines! Love it, cant big it up enough. You'll get a reasonable priced place here and its got everything you'd need.

Portobello isn't too bad either, its a little closer to town. Stay away from most other areas of Dublin 8 including Rialto. Im out there at least once a week and personally haven't had any incidents but theres def some scary looking people out that way. My aunt lived in a flat in Charlemount,its horrific!! She had an awful time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Portobello isn't too bad either, its a little closer to town. Stay away from most other areas of Dublin 8 including Rialto. Im out there at least once a week and personally haven't had any incidents but theres def some scary looking people out that way. My aunt lived in a flat in Charlemount,its horrific!! She had an awful time there.

Gotta love these posts, I've lived in Dublin 8 for 19 years, and well haven't have any major problems, you're out here once a week and you see some scary looking people, good for you!

Rialto is grand, like along the Luas line is grand, go to and from work that way and it does be deserted at night. Charlemount can be a tad dodgy down by the flats, but aside from that it's a grand area and close to town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

And what can you say about those locations and their connection with the centre?

Windy Arbour/Clonskeagh
    Kimmage/Harold's Cross
    Morningstar Avenue / Smithfield
    Rathfarnham
    Glasnevin
    Inchicore

and

Glasnevin
    ?

Gotta love these posts, I've lived in Dublin 8 for 19 years, and well haven't have any major problems, you're out here once a week and you see some scary looking people, good for you!.

As i said i never personally had a really bad experience but my mate had to stop a bunch of kids torture a kitten. They had a hold of it and were trying to burn it,the cat was screaming. :mad:
    The bus stop beside the church attracts the old alcoholics, ive been standing there while they come up beside ya and take a piss. Group of 10 or so fighting nad shouting at each other as soon as the off licence opens. Not something to cry about but not what i would like to see outside my house.
    The youth club out there was broken into and thrashed,at the time it was the only recreation place out there.
    Was at the bus stop one day and seen a toddler hanging out the upstairs window,i let a shout and the fella in the front garden ran up to get him out of the window. Put the heart side ways on me.
    My other mate lived on Cork street,they frequently heard people trying to open their front door.

Depends on the sensibilities of the person,some folks wouldn't be bothered by these things but if your not from Dublin and aren't used to heads everywhere and alcoholics then it can be unnerving to live within it. Im not overly offended by the place but i wouldn't like to live there,just my opinion. :)

WooPeeA wrote: »
    And what can you say about those locations and their connection with the centre?

Windy Arbour/Clonskeagh
    Kimmage/Harold's Cross
    Morningstar Avenue / Smithfield
    Rathfarnham
    Glasnevin
    Inchicore

and

Glasnevin
    ?

Windy arbour is nice,its on the luas line but not really a whole lot out there other wise
    Rathfarnham is a bit further out,depends where exactly you are but only transport is the bus, 15's run regularly enough.
    Smithfield is city centre and can be a bit rough as well.

I've got one viewing at Glasnevin arranged for tomorrow morning, Right beside Tolka Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Firstly if ye haven't got jobs organised and all that I wouldnt be signing up to a long lease or anything like that. You might find that if you do find work it is inconvenient to where you've rented and want to move, or you just may not like the area or something.

None of the places you've mentioned would be bad places really. Rathfarnham/Windy Arbour/Clonskeagh are far enough out from the city centre but would be nice areas. Just be prepared to spend lots of time on public transport!

Inchicore would have some rough elements alright but is a lot closer to the city centre and the phoenix park. Kimmage/Harolds Cross would be grand enough areas and are close enough to town but still requiring some public transport. Glasnevin (down around the Botanic gardens) would be nice as well. Beware of people trying to sell Finglas to you as Glasnevin though!

Smithfield is obviously short walking distance to town so you avoid buses etc. You would have a few eejits around the place but it would be mostly students, young professionals and normal locals. I lived of morningstar avenue for a few years back a bit. The landlord told us before we moved in that there was some kind of hostel for alcoholics nearby but I can't say I ever had any kind of problems in that regard.

If you haven't gotten set jobs yet you'd probably be better being somewhere reasonably central.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Get a job guarantee first, then consider moving.

Walk before you can run.

DubMedic wrote: »
    Get a job guarantee first, then consider moving.

Walk before you can run.
    It's better and quicker to find something while you're around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

WooPeeA wrote: »
    It's better and quicker to find something while you're around.

You might think so but the city is hardly awash with jobs. Personally I have no idea why anyone would blindly choose somewhere to live and then go and look for a job.:confused:

Advertisement