Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.c H.L English - If I only study Gv+Vp,Boland & Longley will i be ok?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

L.c H.L English - If I only study Gv+Vp,Boland & Longley will i be ok?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What your user name says. :D

Seriously though I'd try do Rich aswell and look over another mode for the comparative incase that one doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

to be 'ok' you need to study 5 poets. that means you will be able to at least write about 1 out of the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

For 50 marks (12.5%) i think it's a waste of time covering 5 poets. Anybody else agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

NotExactly wrote: »
    For 50 marks (12.5%) i think it's a waste of time covering 5 poets. Anybody else agree?
    Yes...nobody would study 5 in my opinion. They may know five but I doubt they go over 5 comprehensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

No, it is not a waste of time. No one is saying poetry is the most important thing (the essay is in my opinion) but what do you do if your two chosen poets don't come up or do they do come up but the question doesn't suit?

• Advertisement

Well it certainly isn't economical considering your doing at least 6 other subjects? Are you studying 5 comprehensively? I have Kavanagh covered aswel but just concentrating on Boland & Longley. Do ye think there is much of a chance CC coming up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I really doubt CC will come up this year as it was up last year and its on the course again next year, so if it came up this year it definately couldn't come up again next year (3 years in a row) and I don't think they'd have it that obvious for next year. Whereas literary genre isn't on next year and wasn't on last year...

So i presume your doing GVVP and Literary? How many quotes you have in your comparative answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

5 poets my arse :D
    Studying 2 and you'll be fine, 3 would be pretty safe tbh.
    And cover one comparitive well and know how to deal with at least another one.
    That's my opinion anyway.

^^^ That post made me feal at ease. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Dante

I studied two in detail last year and glimpsed over a third just to be safe, all three of them came up in the end (Although Keats and Bishop were a dead cert)....its all very predictable tbh if you take time looking back at previous papers. Try to study 2/3 poets in detail that are likely to come up and maybe glimpse over a 3rd/4th and you should be OK unless you were extremely unlucky.

Only studying GV+VP could be dodgy though because that section isn't as predictable as the poetry as I found out last year :( You should try to at least half learn either CC/LG aswell just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Finical wrote: »
    What your user name says. :D

Seriously though I'd try do Rich aswell and look over another mode for the comparative incase that one doesn't come up.

Rich isnt tipped to appear this year apparently......not even sure about longley tbh

Yeah Rich came up in 2008 so you'd back Boland. But there is no rule saying a women has to come up.Everybody thinks a women has to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'll be concentrating on Yeats and Eliot.
    The other two will be Kavanagh and Longley - these were the two that appeared on different mock papers.

906 prediction - Yeats, Boland, Kavanagh, Eliot

For comparative I'll be putting the most effort into GV&VP. If CC comes up on the day it's relatively easy to put together and answer on religion, role of women, money, language etc.

For Lear:
    1. Essay on Lear himself
    2. Imagery
    3. Theme of nature
    4. Sub-plot (on before though)
    5. The Fool, Kent, Cordelia
    That's all!
    Hope that helps.

Nothing on Love as a redemptive force?
    Cordelia was ''on before though''
    Thanks for the help!:)

Nothing on Love as a redemptive force?
    Cordelia was ''on before though''
    Thanks for the help!:)

Yep then you have those ones like 'love and redemption', 'betrayal', 'suffering and justice', 'good versus evil' etc.

I think if I do the other ones though there will be no problem adapting to those type of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

does anyone think an Edmund question could pop up? 2006 - Lear/Gloucester 2002 - Cordelia, 2001 - Lear, 1997 - Lear 1985 - Edmund:D

You've certainy done your research:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

You've certainy done your research:rolleyes:
    Nope, the teacher from an easter revision course has done her research:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

AHHHH! I'm only doing gv+vp..?? :eek: praying for it to come up!! :) Do you think Boland or Rich will come up? Everyone is saying 'a woman has to come up! ' hmmmm.. hard to know?! :confused:

• Advertisement

AHHHH! I'm only doing gv+vp..?? :eek: praying for it to come up!! :) Do you think Boland or Rich will come up? Everyone is saying 'a woman has to come up! ' hmmmm.. hard to know?! :confused:

Phew atleast i'm not the only one doing one mode:D You only doing 2 poets aswell?:rolleyes: As I already said theres no rule stating a women has to come up(even though im hoping Boland does) & I can't see the SEC geting done for being sexist:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

ahhh I feel a bit relieved too!! :D ya, well I have Kavanagh covered aswell and I know Boland and Rich fairly well.. can't decide between Longley and Elliot tho.. :( have you either of them done?? I find Elliot confusing but people say he is more likely to come up..? GOD DAMN IT, can't wait till it's all over!!;)

ahhh I feel a bit relieved too!! :D ya, well I have Kavanagh covered aswell and I know Boland and Rich fairly well.. can't decide between Longley and Elliot tho.. :( have you either of them done?? I find Elliot confusing but people say he is more likely to come up..? GOD DAMN IT, can't wait till it's all over!!;)

Guy on the radio said Eliot.
    Longley and Kavanagh were the two that were only on one mock paper each. Eliot was on both. I'd go with Eliot but Longley was on the original paper last year and not on the contingency one so who knows, that mess last year makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

For Lear:
    1. Essay on Lear himself
    2. Imagery
    3. Theme of nature
    4. Sub-plot (on before though)
    5. The Fool, Kent, Cordelia
    That's all!
    Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

I have a seperate essay on Cordelia and the dramatic significance of the fool and that's it.., I'm off to cover imagery, Lear theme of nature and Edmund...And try and learn points from sample answers and good versus evil plus that whole self growth through suffering buisness... I'm worried about Lear! How do you guys reccomend studying Lear? Should I scrap writing essays at this stage???

Guys I'm covering Yeats, Kavanagh, Boland and Longley... Is that safe???

Guys I'm covering Yeats, Kavanagh, Boland and Longley... Is that safe???[/QUOTE]

It's allot safer than what i'm covering:eek:. I gaurentee you atleast 1 of the 4 above will come up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

kinds these day:P

for all those that say studying 5 crazy, its not crazy, its smart. i studied 5 for my leaving last year, i was never an excellent student but i ended up getting a b1 in higher english. i dont know how much of that was because i did a good poetry question but it certainly wasnt a draw back knowing no matter what happened i would be able to do at least one question.

to the op, you asked would it be safe to study less then 5. the answer is no but realistically not too many people study 5 so i think you would be ok if luck is on your side on the day.

Ok I'm in trouble... My essays are too long... Just realised they are all 6 pages! What should I do?! Should I re-write them or just learn about the points that stand out the most? Help my Boland essay is 6 pages and rest are 4-5!

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    kinds these day:P

for all those that say studying 5 crazy, its not crazy, its smart. i studied 5 for my leaving last year, i was never an excellent student but i ended up getting a b1 in higher english. i dont know how much of that was because i did a good poetry question but it certainly wasnt a draw back knowing no matter what happened i would be able to do at least one question.

to the op, you asked would it be safe to study less then 5. the answer is no but realistically not too many people study 5 so i think you would be ok if luck is on your side on the day.

Who you calling kid? I'm probable older than you!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheDenominator

poets i'd say would be boland yeats eliot and possibly kavanagh....i'd say one of the first three will definitely come up. Hopefully :P

Vi+Vp yeah i'm trying to focus on that too. Don't want literary genre! As for lear i can remember hearing sympathy for lear and lear as a tragic hero are strong possibilities....then again who knows! Bleh too much english....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Poetry
    • Yeats
    • Boland
    • Kavanagh
    • Elliot
    Are my predictions.
    Last place seems to be a toss between Elliot, Rich and Longley. I doubt Longley will come up.

Comparative
    Cultural Context and General Vision and Viewpoint for the Comparative. Gv+v is tipped to come up though so focus on that.

For Single Text, assuming it's King Lear - Look through, especially:
    • Lear's Journey to insight
    • The use of nature in King Lear
    • Main Plot vs. Sub-Plot

Advertisement