Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question (sorry)

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

:rolleyes: Don't worry lads I just wanna know one thing before I cast my vote , not debating anything , just wanna know the answer.

regarding this part:
    The committee will be.[.... ] deciding on what to do with the funds left over from causals and Inferno events, looking into obtaining a new venue

I was just about to start a discussion thread / collective information thread regarding venues.

But eh then I noticed this new committee thread. What I want to know is ,1 will all discussion regarding venues and so forth be out in the open for everyone to see and take part in?
    Or 2 will it be a committee members only thing. Where they talk amongst themselves and just keep the community updated on what they've decided?

I love this scene, love being part of it, really enjoy chatting about its future, things we can do for it, idea's and so forth. Be it on the forums, or with the lads after a tourney or casuals etc.

Gonna suck being told to fuck off from all those conversations now "committee members only".

So I need to know is it 1 or 2 before I can comfortably cast my vote.

That is all.

/puts on flame proof jacket. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, you could kinda make the same statements regarding the government, and how they don't let us into their meetings on how this country should be run :pac:

As long as the committee is non-profit I don't see many problems. Also don't forget that nothing's stopping you from running your own tourneys/venue etc.
    This seems to be just a 5-man group who'll wreck THEIR heads for US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

My opinion and thoughts on the committee are that all discussion will be on the forums.

However the committee will try to focus the conversation and take what people are saying and go off and make things happen.

It will be the same with everything else such as tournaments, sponsorship, equipment etc.

As I see it, it's easier for five people to discuss things, get ideas rolling and then have everyone discuss those ideas. Rather then have discussing stuff at fairly random times and places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, you could kinda make the same statements regarding the government, and how they don't let us into their meetings on how this country should be run :pac:

As long as the committee is non-profit I don't see many problems. Also don't forget that nothing's stopping you from running your own tourneys/venue etc.
    This seems to be just a 5-man group who'll wreck THEIR heads for US.

I'm not gonna talk about this stuff although kiki you make the committee sound 10 times worse then I fear :p I just wanna know the answer to my OP.

I'm generally pretty happy with everything azza laid out, and the fact that is has been laid out and people have a chance to have a say. This is a very positive thing when it comes to the creation of something like this.

It's those particular aspects in my OP that'll effect how I vote , I'm pleased I'm being allowed to.

Orim wrote: »
    My opinion and thoughts on the committee are that all discussion will be on the forums.

However the committee will try to focus the conversation and take what people are saying and go off and make things happen.

It will be the same with everything else such as tournaments, sponsorship, equipment etc.

As I see it, it's easier for five people to discuss things, get ideas rolling and then have everyone discuss those ideas. Rather then have discussing stuff at fairly random times and places.

Your post starts off saying its option 1 then goes off to say its 2.

One or the other, is it 1 or 2. That's all I wanna know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sisko wrote: »

So I need to know is it 1 or 2 before I can comfortably cast my vote.

The world is not that simple nor that binary. It is not 1 or 2, imo. You cannot force absolutes onto an analogue system.

I'd look poorly on the committee if they were just to make a big change without consulting the community, that'd be stupicide.

However, it'd also make the committee perfectly pointless if EVERY little thing had to go by the entire community.

Once again, imo, the committee is not about taking power away from the community, it is about getting stuff done that isn't or couldn't be done right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sisko wrote: »
    Your post starts off saying its option 1 then goes off to say its 2.

One or the other, is it 1 or 2. That's all I wanna know.

As Doom says its not a simple binary answer.

You will never be told that you can't be involved in a conversation.

The community will always be involved in all progress and changes.

The committee will be there to put into practise what the community discusses.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear I was specifically worried missing out on convos involving a new venue and what kinda things we'd spend money on etc.

I hope people understand where I'm coming from here, I don't see myself as just a player in this community I feel far more involved then that but still not at the top event organising level and so forth because personally I don't think I'd be good at that, but still its been over a year and I feel pretty tight with you guys and pretty tuned into the scene.

I'm naturally really worried about all of a sudden being cut out of everything and losing all of that.

I do really love the whole community thing, how this scene has been built up. I totally trust you guys I really do. It's something going wrong or sour down the line that I fear , involving the divide between committee and community.

This is why I really wanted it to be implemented nice and cleanly - with a community vote and with full clarity. I know I wrecked a lot of heads pushing for this and I've certainly had my head wrecked from having my character attacked with accusations of ulterior motives (although this was from someone who was not even part of the community)

But I really think that no matter how ****ty things were on the forums this week we may be avoiding what could potentially have been something as nasty as a community split months or even a year or so down the line.

We've come so far I don't wanna lose any of that. Biggest feckin gaming scene in this entire country lads, I'm putting my trust in yeas. Do us proud and keep things so we can all proud of ourselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I think you're worrying a bit too much sisko. I agree with dooms post above.

We know everyone who will potentially be on the committee, we trust them, we can talk with them.

As you would say to ropedrink, CHILLAX :pac:

You can never worry too much :p

But I've seen this happen before , why I pushed for the better be safe than sorry approach.

Advertisement