Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alternate Venue Thread

Options
  • 06-06-2010 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Okay so over the past couple of weeks theres been much talk of alternate venues with many different suggestions and ideas from a number of people in the community.

So far most , if not all of which being the type of place where we the community would have to provide our own equipment.

We'll use this thread as place for everyone to clearly layout their suggestions, to discuss the viability of each location and to track progress of whether or not certain locations will even allow us to do what we wanna do for an event.

This may involve people such as myself others calling into these places and seeing what they say.

So can people start by posting the venue ideas that had, I know off the top of my head, PPC had a good suggestion, Jim new a place (but they did not answer his e-mail) and chopper has a suggestion.

There's been a good few more but I can't remember who said what so post away if you have one.

A venue that allowed us to store our own gear would be very nice.

Also if anyone knows of a pub that'd be willing to let us run an event of some sort post away. Lets see what we can find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

westmeath_map.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Didn't know there was a place in Dublin called Westmeath , is it near town? :pac:

Hehe jokes aside though lets keep this thread clean it could get pretty long over time. There may be a lot to discuss.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm thinking a school on the Dart line might rent us a room on a Sat or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I sent a mail off to my local community centre asking about the availability of one of their large rooms or the main hall.

I know it's not the ideal location, but almost everyone who travels to these events from outside of Dublin arrive at Connolly, Heuston or Busarus, so they could hop straight onto the LUAS from there, which is very regular and brings you right to Kilnamanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Darkside lan run by BioHazRd used to be a great venue.
    Its located in a scouthall just off the Phibsborough Cross.
    The 10 bus leaves from Quirkeys and drops you closeby.
    Map
    Tables and insurance would need to be taken out if we were to use it.
    I can have a chat with Bio about getting rental details if its of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Schools are a good idea but they might have an insurance issue. We should look at not for profit arts spaces too. Can't think of any off the top of my head but I'll look into it.

A night once every month or two in a bar or something for beers and games would be great. I know of a few places in town that have wii sports nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Community Centres in town :

George’s Place Recreational Centre
    Temple Street
    Dublin 1
    Tel: (01) 873 4068

Hardwicke Street Recreational Centre
    Dublin 1
    Tel: (01) 873 4068

Pearse Street Recreation Centre
    Pearse House Flats
    Dublin 2
    Tel: (01) 677 1859

I am getting in touch with Space54, who are based in Smithfield.

For pub nights there is always the Garda Club on Harrington Street, which I don't think would cost too much and would probably be fairly to get.

I don't see the problem as being the venue yet. It's equipment that will cause us issues for now as we are not going to find a venue like the XGC where we will have all the consoles/tvs.

Also do we want a regular venue to replace the XGC or should be looking into running a major style tournament/event?

Orim wrote: »

I don't see the problem as being the venue yet. It's equipment that will cause us issues for now as we are not going to find a venue like the XGC where we will have all the consoles/tvs.

Also do we want a regular venue to replace the XGC or should be looking into running a major style tournament/event?

If yesterday proves not to be an anomoly, we're going to need more room
    (if only to breathe) than xgc allows.

This of course introduces the logistic problems you already mention... but 5 more people and I would say xgc would have been impossible.

And I really think we need to talk about security. Yesterday was too close for my liking.

If yesterday proves not to be an anomoly, we're going to need more room
    (if only to breathe) than xgc allows.

This of course introduces the logistic problems you already mention... but 5 more people and I would say xgc would have been impossible.

And I really think we need to talk about security. Yesterday was too close for my liking.

I'm not saying that we don't need a new venue, I'm just saying that there may no point in having a new venue if we can only get two set ups going.

I'm not saying that we don't need a new venue, I'm just saying that there may no point in having a new venue if we can only get two set ups going.

Yup.

Doesn't mean we can't start trying to work it out now though.

• Advertisement

I reckon between 50 of us we can come up with enough tellies and consoles. Finding a decent. cheap location will be the most important part.

I reckon between 50 of us we can come up with enough tellies and consoles. Finding a decent. cheap location will be the most important part.

That you're willing to bring twice a week? That will all be lagless? Will we have enough Xbox versus PSs? That will all arrive on time?

Or is it just for infernos/once-off events?

I posted five that will probably be perfectly usable and there's another load of community centres that are a bit further out and at least one other on Harrington Street that doesn't seem to be on the web.

As I say my point is that we need to figure out exactly what we're doing and how we want to go about it.

XGC could still be used for casuals, it just tournaments we need to start looking elsewhere as it's just too uncomfortable there.

XGC could still be used for casuals, it just tournaments we need to start looking elsewhere as it's just too uncomfortable there.

What he said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

OK, I must have been either oblivious to what happened or I had already left (or being such a classy guy, the tone of the place went completely downhill after I did leave) but what actually happened yesterday?

Back on topic, the community IS going to grow more and more as we move forward, so it's as good a time as any to look at a larger venue for the bigger events.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OK, I must have been either oblivious to what happened or I had already left (or being such a classy guy, the tone of the place went completely downhill after I did leave) but what actually happened yesterday?

Back on topic, the community IS going to grow more and more as we move forward, so it's as good a time as any to look at a larger venue for the bigger events.

A couple of less than savoury individuals were poking around in our stuff when we were watching one of the big fights. They hung around for a while after we copped them and apparently one of them threw a dig at a guy playing fifa. Lovely chaps :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think the general problem with XGC though other than some knacker anomalies is that for the big tourneys it gets very cramped and ridiculously hot and stuffy.

Should we chip our post-Evo community money towards some awesome cooling fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I could always bring my monitor to bigger events outside xgc. Its fairly portable and should be lagless.

I agree that casuals should still be in the xgc

I just sent an e-mail off to the garda club to see what the story is. Presumably I'll hear back on Tuesday.

Don't forget that you don't just need monitors and consoles. You need tables, chairs and probably multi-taps and extension leads.

Yeah we're deffo not fully replacing XGC and it may not even be the case that ALL infernos will be moved from there either. But we do need to start testing other venues for other events and see how it goes, XGC will be there as a backup if stuff goes wrong.

I think the general problem with XGC though other than some knacker anomalies is that for the big tourneys it gets very cramped and ridiculously hot and stuffy.

Should we chip our post-Evo community money towards some awesome cooling fans?

Well I've been mentioning the idea of buying fans with community money before, just two would even make a world of difference.

I even brought one with me once and it was great but I can't be lugging a fan around with me all the time.

Anyway the idea didnt seem to be something anyone was interested in.

Still that only solved the hot and stuffy aspect. XGC is too cramped and it kills the atmosphere.

We're eventually gonna want a set up where we have commentators - a game split 3 ways - one for the players and one for a projector / monitor for the crowd/commentators and one for direct feed recording.

Can't really do this in XGC. and cause the crowd are right down the necks of the players , its hard for people to generate hype.

Be great if we could find a place that'd allow us to store our stuff, as kneecaps has shown it might not be all that difficult to get a collection of CRTs going etc.

PPC wrote: »
    Darkside lan run by BioHazRd used to be a great venue.
    Its located in a scouthall just off the Phibsborough Cross.
    The 10 bus leaves from Quirkeys and drops you closeby.
    Map
    Tables and insurance would need to be taken out if we were to use it.
    I can have a chat with Bio about getting rental details if its of interest.

Yes please do , cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sisko wrote: »
    Well I've been mentioning the idea of buying fans with community money before, just two would even make a world of difference.
    Anyway the idea didnt seem to be something anyone was interested in.

There is nothing I am MORE interested in spending money on other than sending someone to evo.

Yesterday I think at certain points most of us would have paid money for one cooling breeze to pass through the room.

I'm not talking about evo money I'm referring to conversations I've had long before evo. We've had community money from events long before evo and we'll have so again.

I'm not talking about spending evo money on fans for XGC LOL!

Remember we've had 8 other hot stuffy and clammy infernos. :p

It's called inferno for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Unfortunately SF IV is widescreen game, playing ing 4:3 is undesireable.
    Also there was a whole side of xboxs not being used yesterday.

Movement is difficult in xgc but its the heat/air which is the real problem.

For a first move we should try run siskos team tourny idea in a suitable pub. only an xbox or two is required, and i'll supply my one no bother, it should be comfortable, little else would be required (depending on pub) and also there will be libations.

A team tourney in a pub would be great yes.

I'm not gonna take credit for the team tourney idea though :p everyone who was there wanted another one, I just made a thread :o

Teams of 3, one instance of a character per team, each player locked to his character for the tournament.

Plenty of space and room for spectators and drinks, bare noise, hype.

sounds good non?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

See if we can rent out the presidents room surely we can fit 50+ people there

Surely there is at least one game pub in dublin? If carlow can manage it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

A gaming pub in Carlow?

the barracks had free to play on PS2s and free wifi, and even free laptops from behind the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

That place sucked. There was only two PS2s from what I can remember and I don't think you could pick the games.

Advertisement