Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alternate Venue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

the barracks had free to play on PS2s and free wifi, and even free laptops from behind the bar.
    Talk about a quantum leap for Carlow.

It'd be relatively easy having a number of set-ups if you choose to use the Xbox 360 with a VGA for a monitor (better response times over component or standard anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

yeah we've looking at VGA cables for 360's alright. We ran a test at XGC over the weekend and it seemed to help things alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Send a mail off to the Complex in smithfield to see what their prices would be.

I'm also going there tonight so I'll see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HandiCapanda

Are you lookin for something like the xbl cafe on south william street.... except more laid back and cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Are you lookin for something like the xbl cafe on south william street.... except more laid back and cheaper?

Is that place not closed years?

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head no. I'll check it out 2mo. Used to go there while wasting my college days away. Has 40 odd xbox's with ideal monitors, a ****load of space and aircon

If you mean the xbox live gaming centre, I'm pretty sure it's been closed for about 5 years:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64607327&postcount=16

I mean this one

http://www.fundays.ie/details.asp?FunEvent=1055561281

It only opened within the last few years.. and i was there last year. Considering store turnover along there i wouldn't be surprised if it has closed within the year though.

Fair enough, I think that's the same place and I was pretty sure they closed long ago. Their site doesn't work anymore either. Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

The old Xbox place is definately closed. I know because one of the dudes I work with used to work there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Worth checking this out to be 100% sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Its closed.
    Kinetic^ worked there until it closed a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

if we get a venue then we need an identity, a big banner. and some leaflets and posters and we can use the logo on the videos

it would be awesome

that xbox center closed ages ago

Space 54 got in touch with me.

It's €150 for the morning until 6pm. Waiting for confirmation on how early we could go and set up.

Not many good pics of the place but here's one. I'll try to get in during the week to see what it looks properly.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=273761&id=100000553637365

Right so Space 54 is €150 for 10 to 6

I'm going in tomorrow to have a look and chat with one of the people that runs it. Assuming all goes well and looks good, I think this could be a great home for Inferno and other tournaments.

It's in Smithfield Square which is very easy to access.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

If you could let me know if there is local parking that'd be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Actually local parking would be fairly essential if we're bringing our own kit.

Also check out how many plug sockets there are and how well they're spaced. Best to not have cables running across an open floor if it can be avoided.

This does sound good, though it'll mean prize money will likely be slightly less than normal unless we get big turnouts each time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sagat06 wrote: »
    If you could let me know if there is local parking that'd be great?

Smithfield is only like 7.64 minutes away from XGC.

Actually local parking would be fairly essential if we're bringing our own kit.

Also check out how many plug sockets there are and how well they're spaced. Best to not have cables running across an open floor if it can be avoided.

This does sound good, though it'll mean prize money will likely be slightly less than normal unless we get big turnouts each time.

That's the plan for tomorrow.

I imagine there is local parking but I'll have a look around to make sure.

30 people would be enough to cover rental, which I don't think would be a stretch for us these days but you are right. This would be a flat fee so on a day with low numbers we would still be paying the €150.

Smithfield is only like 7.64 minutes away from XGC.

7 minutes is a long time if you're carrying a CRT

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    7 minutes is a long time if you're carrying a CRT

There's a luas stop at xgc and one in smithfield.

Solutions people, not just problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

A solution is reversing up to a door and taking all of the equipment out of my boot :p

Sagat06 wrote: »
    A solution is reversing up to a door and taking all of the equipment out of my boot :p

lol!

Im sure Dan can ask if he's going to be scouting the place out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Does anyone have a 16:9 widscreen crt?

I wouldn't want to play SSFIV in 4:3, just as i wouldn't want to play SFII or third strike in 16:9.

Is this place in that new market near the point?

I wouldn't want to play SSFIV in 4:3, just as i wouldn't want to play SFII or third strike in 16:9.

I would say some easily transported monitors would be our best bet.

Smithfield is the opposite direction to the Point. I would find a map but I'm really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I have a 28" widescreen CRT and I think Terry has a similar one unless it belongs to the college.

I however have no car and would like a functioning spine!

There's a luas stop at xgc and one in smithfield.

Solutions people, not just problems :D

but the place is in smithfield square, not the XGC ?

ha. yeah thats the problems with crts alright.

I once got involved in a drug deal wedged in the back of a tiny car with a 14 inch telly on my lap. Not the kind of situation in which you want to be imobile.

I ve a 32 inch one, but that aint coming up on a bus. :(

http://www.adverts.ie/197438/hardware/19-medion-crt-monitor/

ppl with could get stuff like this
    and we could use http://iarematt.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/xbox-360-hd-vga-av-cable.jpg

only problem would be external speakers will be needed

and we could use a projector or bigger tv for semi/finals

• Advertisement

i linked to 6 free ones a few weeks ago.

no one wanted them/had storage space.

Advertisement