Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alternate Venue Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

yeah if we could actually store stuff there it'd be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

double post!

re projector, an sd one would be ideal and should be fairly lag free. does someone have one?
    I know the shend uses one.

edit: incorrect call on doubleposthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

double post!

re projector, an sd one would be ideal and should be fairly lag free. does someone have one?
    I know the shend uses one.

edit: incorrect call on doubleposthood.

We could spilt from a monitor to a projector ala Lanparty.

I think they might have a stage which would great for finalists on stage with the projector showing the match.

This will be easier to call when I've had a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I have no problem bringing down my projector and xbox for this.

Also, if it's the place I'm thinking of, there's tons of local parking (accessible from the quays) although depending on the day it might be packed. The horse market is on in Smithfield from time to time.

Right, had a look around and I gotta say it looks great. I took some pics on my phone which I'll post up if I find the cable to connect my phone.

There is parking all over the place. There's even parking outside the building and I didn't notice any disc machines but I wasn't especially looking.

The building is big and airy. I would say we could comfortably fit ~11-12 set-ups with lots of room for spectators to watch matches and move around.

There is a small stage/raised area where we could get two set-ups. This also has a projector shelf pretty much overhead so setting up the projector should be okay. The only issue being that it would be at a slight angle so the display wouldn't be square on the screen but I don't think it will enough to make it unwatchable.

As stated the cost would be €150 for 10-6 but we would need to get tables. They have an account with a hire company and we could get 4ft round tables for €7:50 a pop. They would probably take two set-ups each. The place has chairs.

Time would become more of a factor then at XGC as we would have to be out at 6, maybe even earlier depending on what's booked in that night. This isn't a major issue. We start a little earlier and be a little stricter on time.

Anything else people want to know ask away.

• Advertisement

Fair play man.

Hate to be the arsehole as always but remember we still have the issue of getting enough equipment there and whether or not the time frame of 10-6 is as do-able as we'd like.
    Just playing the devils advocate but I think we have to look at these questions :

What time do people traveling from outside Dublin usually get to XGC at?

How many set ups would be needed so that we can have the event over with by 6? While having it start at a time that allows people to get there.

I assume casuals will have to be eliminated from our events. One of the [few] positives about XGC was the ability to relax and chat and have casual games when your knocked out, then go for drinks after. Now everyones gotta be rushed out by 6 , can't play when they're knocked out ( people traveling might not like this) and it may be hard for people who've brought equipment to head out drinking with everyone after its over.

Just stuff to talk about man, deffo not trying to bring a downer on this, seriously fair play for checking it out, it does sound pretty good and I can't wait for the pics.
    I certainly am not looking forward to the 'inferno' during inferno 10 this Saturday... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sounds really great Orim, I think you're definitely going to need community support to stay within the timeframe; and to be very strict regarding "running time of the tourney" VS "easiest way to film to top matches".

Hopefully people realise this now and don't give you grief for it later.

Hope that wasn't a jibe at me , didn't realise I had delayed tournaments with wanting to film them before, or had even suggested such a thing. :mad::( I'm talking about XGC in that other thread as thats where this upcoming tourney is being held.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

it was conor, HAND BAGS at dawn lads.
    discussed this with dan on chat

he said , 6 should be ok.
    Considering the venue, it should be much much better than XGC, space wise.

I think we just need to get group stages done asap and it shouldnt be a problem.

Sisko wrote: »
    Hope that wasn't a jibe at me

Actually no, I had hit the reply button before you posted and not bothered filling in the text field until I had finished reading a bunch of other tabs I had open.

I just mention it because I remember a similar conversation happening at the last inferno (not sure who between, I'm not sure I have everyone's names down yet).

Getting all of us up super early on a Saturday (compared to normal), into the XGC, starting the tournament on time, and ending by 6 seems incredibly difficult, and would be a work of organisational art to pull off.

• Advertisement

As far as an event in this venue goes I'm not even going to begin discussing recoding stuff when getting the damn thing done in time anyway is in question.

I'm never gonna recored anything if I feel its gonna effect the actual tournament. Its just something thats there for run to remember the event by. For hype, for the craic.

I can't believe I have to actually state this.

**edit**

just saw the reply:
    Actually no, I had hit the reply button before you posted and not bothered filling in the text field until I had finished reading a bunch of other tabs I had open.

Huh? I meant regarding the convo in the inferno 10 thread , either way theres not that many people on here that do the recording , who else are you talking about :S
    I just mention it because I remember a similar conversation happening at the last inferno (not sure who between, I'm not sure I have everyone's names down yet).

There was a conversation about someone causing delays at an inferno by recording footage, and that someone giving grief to the tournament organiser when told it'd cause delays?

Getting all of us up super early on a Saturday (compared to normal), into the XGC, starting the tournament on time, and ending by 6 seems incredibly difficult, and would be a work of organisational art to pull off.

Yeah I'm thinking this too. Again not to be negative , just saying theres a lot of room for error with this option. But its nice that we have an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It can be done on time easily enough. Start at 13:00 instead of 14:00 and we should be done by 18:00.

Perhaps we should give it a trial run by running a tournament outside of Inferno, in say 2 or 3 weeks

The right blend of seriousness and fun, to make sure it's feasible.

Perhaps that team tourny idea.

Yeah fund raiser for the evo tickets. Its an idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Perhaps we should give it a trial run by running a tournament outside of Inferno, in say 2 or 3 weeks

Unless we get 40+ people then it'd be a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Cheers for the info Orim.

I think there would be plenty of time. In the XGC there would be a tendancy to relax between fights, but with the organiser with a time limit I think it would push things to go on time. Its certainly worth a trial run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive no problem starting really early. The earlier we can finish up tournaments the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Bush80 wrote: »
    Ive no problem starting really early. The earlier we can finish up tournaments the better.

The only problem concerns us folk travelling from outside of Dublin, if your talking about starting earlier ( which I have no problem with ) it means I'll have to wake at like 6am so that I'll be there by 12pm or earlier.

Hey Sisko, I think we got an awesome miscommunication going on here.

The thing I remember from the last Inferno was people giving out to Orim for not starting the next matches sooner, because he was waiting to do the last few important matches on the nicer TV with more space around it with the camera set-up.

So not "You VS Orim" but more "Guys who want good hype and video footage of the important matches (which includes you and Orim) VS Guys who just want to see the next match/go home". So when I said it'd need community support I meant everybody

It's obviously important to have a good crowd watching the match, and have it recorded, because that's the best way of doing it; but this also takes the longest, so I just thought that'd be the hardest part of doing it all on time.

I really did reply before I saw you had said anything, taking a jab at you for filming the matches would be a weird dick move.

So many points so little time.
    Fair play man.

Hate to be the arsehole as always but remember we still have the issue of getting enough equipment there and whether or not the time frame of 10-6 is as do-able as we'd like.
    Just playing the devils advocate but I think we have to look at these questions :

What time do people traveling from outside Dublin usually get to XGC at?

How many set ups would be needed so that we can have the event over with by 6? While having it start at a time that allows people to get there.

I assume casuals will have to be eliminated from our events. One of the [few] positives about XGC was the ability to relax and chat and have casual games when your knocked out, then go for drinks after. Now everyones gotta be rushed out by 6 , can't play when they're knocked out ( people traveling might not like this) and it may be hard for people who've brought equipment to head out drinking with everyone after its over.

Just stuff to talk about man, deffo not trying to bring a downer on this, seriously fair play for checking it out, it does sound pretty good and I can't wait for the pics.
    I certainly am not looking forward to the 'inferno' during inferno 10 this Saturday... :(

People usually get there at about half one but that is for the 2 o'clock. I'm sure they can get earlier buses/trains to accomodate for an earlier. Everything has it's pros and cons. This happens to be a con (a minor one imo)

I would suggest 8 as a number of set-ups to hit. I think this is possible.

Casuals won't be eliminated as their will still be set-up/sign-up/wind-down times for casuals and relaxing. The timeframe isn't that bad, it's just earlier. for the vast majority of people Inferno is ~6-7 hours long. We have 8 hours but we will have some set-up and take-down time. Again it's pros and cons.

The equipment is something of a problem but there may be storage there or people will have to bring it home and come back out. The logistics of the venue will need to be worked if we decide to go with it. And they will be something everybody in the community will have to chip in with to get things done.

Some of my first points in this thread, where the very issues you are bringing up now.
    Sounds really great Orim, I think you're definitely going to need community support to stay within the timeframe; and to be very strict regarding "running time of the tourney" VS "easiest way to film to top matches".

Hopefully people realise this now and don't give you grief for it later.

As you say it's a matter of strictness. Up until now it has been very relaxed at Inferno but with a closing time, we'll just have to make things get done.

Compromises can be made and so on.

No chance. Only Inferno and bigger could support the cost of renting the venue. We will not be able to find a proper venue that could be used for casuals/smaller tournaments.

The only way of doing that is for community style halls but they are generally very hard to get in contact with, still have costs and are highly unsuitable as regards sockets.
    The only problem concerns us folk travelling from outside of Dublin, if your talking about starting earlier ( which I have no problem with ) it means I'll have to wake at like 6am so that I'll be there by 12pm or earlier.

Unfortunately this is a problem but it's not something we can do much about I'm afraid. With the last Inferno we allowed people to text if they were on the way but would be late. This allowed them to miss registration but make it in time to play their groups. This would be money for nothing if you missed groups but it allows you to cut it very fine as to your arrival time.

As I said above this is con of a new venue and tbh this will most likely be a con of any new venue as most will either have a closing time or time when the next event has to start setting up.

• Advertisement

150/30=€5
    150/20=€7.5
    150/15=€10

I don't think any of those is that big a deal for one day.

The real problem on any day would be equip.
    How many setups, do we have between us?

Consoles and games are probably no problem, but those without cars realistically wont be able to bring TVs.

150/30=€5
    150/20=€7.5
    150/15=€10

I don't think any of those is that big a deal for one day.

The real problem on any day would be equip.
    How many setups, do we have between us?

Consoles and games are probably no problem, but those without cars realistically wont be able to bring TVs.

People have complained about spending a fiver for casuals. You think they'll spend a tenner.

You also have the cost of renting tables, will the hire company even rent such a low number (hell I don't know if they'll do the 4 or 5 for the bigger events)

Also realistically you can't plan on having fifteen people at a casual tournament. We would be very lucky to to get fifteen people and you would have to plan for only 10 which makes it €16 for the rental.

Finally it doesn't really prove much. The venue is feasible size-wise, location wise and cost wise. The only hurdle is the time issue. A small event with a percentage of the numbers of an Inferno proves nothing.

@UberPrinny

Ah I get what yea mean now sorry m8, I thought you were talking about direct feed. Yeah I remember now what you were talking about and I'd be on Orims corner regarding what he was going for last inferno. Really it would have been over at least an hour earlier if it wasn't for one group that look a long time (I can't remember why, think they were only using one console or something ) but its nice to have a crowd, really helps the atmosphere.

And this is an aspect of a venue such as this one that I really like , it'll really help the hype to have a crowd, and audience with a proper chair setup for 'em.

I'm deffo game for trying this next inferno. It'd be such a massive help if we could some how get storage for a collection of monitors. Consoles are portable enough its monitors that'll be an issue.

And this is an aspect of a venue such as this one that I really like , it'll really help the hype to have a crowd, and audience with a proper chair setup for 'em.

I'm deffo game for trying this next inferno. It'd be such a massive help if we could some how get storage for a collection of monitors. Consoles are portable enough its monitors that'll be an issue.

There's unlikely to be a collection of chairs. They have some chairs but I don't think they would have enough to cover the entire crowd. And I don't think more rental fees will help. However it should help the hype that the biggest matches will be on a projector and I'd doubt anyone would object to sitting on the floor.

Storage might very well be possible. There is some back areas that look like we could leave stuff there. Will need to be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I would have thought that standing > sitting for hype.

Also, the place might be willing to let us store displays etc overnight, but I doubt they would long term.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Jim wrote: »
    I would have thought that standing > sitting for hype.

I'd be worried standing all day'd be a bit of a pain in the arse though.

I'd be worried standing all day'd be a bit of a pain in the arse though.

There is also some couchs in the place which we could probably use. So we could have a little chill-out area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well sitting should only be for ppl playing
    its not like we all sit down in XGC when the tournament starts !
    everyone needs to be standing, so all the nerds that come into XGC to have a game of tigerwoods get intrigued and immediatley converted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Orim wrote: »
    There is also some couchs in the place which we could probably use. So we could have a little chill-out area.

That'd be perfect I think.
    Placebo wrote: »
    well sitting should only be for ppl playing
    its not like we all sit down in XGC when the tournament starts !
    everyone needs to be standing, so all the nerds that come into XGC to have a game of tigerwoods get intrigued and immediatley converted.

In theory but even when Daigo was playing in WGC half the people in the place were sitting down!

It isn't that important. Just I like somewhere to take a time out between the more stressful matches :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Orim wrote: »

Good for all the salty faces to calm down :pac:

Advertisement