Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D-Day 66 years ago today

• 06-06-2010 8:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

How quickly time is passing. Seems like only yesterday since the 60th anniversary.

Unlike last year the weather here in Normandy is perfect for the commemorations which are now mostly low-key but still very well attended. Not as many veterans around but that is not surprising.

Heading off shortly to tour the beaches and some of the ceremonies.

May all those that fell rest in peace.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

80712842.gif

In Honnor of D-Day

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

d-day.jpg

One of the most icconic photos of the day

Click photo for High Res version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I watched a documentary about Omaha beach on BBC2 last night (I had seen it before) but hearing the words from people who were there just emphasizes the courage it took to rush out one of those landing craft into a maelstrom of bullets and shells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just found some excellent photos on this website:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/remembering_d-day_66_years_ago.html

Many of them are well known but there are some that I hadn't seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Due to the pressures of work it was my shortest ever visit to Normandy for the commemorations. I got to St Mere Eglise at 9 in the morning on Sunday the 6th and flew by helicoptor back to Chas De Gaulle for a flight back to South Africa at 6 in the evening. Its sad, the amount of veterans gets fewer every year.

Back in SA now for the duration of the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just found some excellent photos on this website:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/remembering_d-day_66_years_ago.html

Many of them are well known but there are some that I hadn't seen before.

Nice find ollaetta, enjoyed looking at these ;)

Here's a few shots I took in Ste. Mere Eglise and Utah Beach on Sunday:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

A little small but nice ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

This might be a stupid question but are the D Day celebrations in Normandy completely based on the Allies or is there any representation of the Germans there at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those look brilliant - cheers for posting them. Looks like there was a great atmosphere there on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

This might be a stupid question but are the D Day celebrations in Normandy completely based on the Allies or is there any representation of the Germans there at all?

There was a lot of German veterans too last time I went over there. Normal people speaking...and there was/is official reps of Germany since 60th anniversary, I believe.

Here's a pic from 2007 when the Ste. Mere Eglise mayor held a ceremony for veterans from both sides. The German in the picture was either a sergeant or a lieutenant (can't remember which) in the town garrison on D Day and the Yank is a colourful character called Howard Manoian who returned to Normandy to live years after the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Never saw any ex-German soldier wearing his medals and unit symbols :P:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

FiSe wrote: »
    Never saw any ex-German soldier wearing his medals and unit symbols :P:

Here is one of Knight's Cross winner Joachim Menzel at a veteran organisation reunion in the 1980s

Foto28.jpg

& as a young man

http://www.militaria-archive.com/WW2%20postcards/content/Foto27_large.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

How quickly time is passing. Seems like only yesterday since the 60th anniversary.

Unlike last year the weather here in Normandy is perfect for the commemorations which are now mostly low-key but still very well attended. Not as many veterans around but that is not surprising.

Heading off shortly to tour the beaches and some of the ceremonies.

May all those that fell rest in peace.

I hope they hold a ceremony for the thousands of French civilians the Allies killed, 20,000 in Caen alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

nope, just the allies

Advertisement