Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dana White confirms the UFC's return to Dublin in 2010

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sorry to burst your bubble but Dana seemed to have given every country that same stock answer at the Expo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

On another note Liddell was asked on twitter yesterday would he fight in ireland and he said thats up the ufc but he would be over here in july :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Should try and get him to Cage Contender V so, Card is stacked, will be awsome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

A mate of mine works for O2 and has been keeping tabs on this for months. He spoke to the event organiser of the company/venue recently and as of right now there are VERY little available slots left this year if UFC are to arrive in the O2, so they'd really want to get a move on. I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

On another note Liddell was asked on twitter yesterday would he fight in ireland and he said thats up the ufc but he would be over here in july :confused:

He could well be talkin about a holiday as his family is Irish, i'm also thinking that MAYBE, just maybe, his vacation would tie in with a promotion for a UFC event over here for October, 3 months in advance seems the norm to start the promoting.

And who else is not on any fight card, but has deep Irish roots, and a fight against Chuck would sure sell out a card here.

So then, here's my prediction, and thats what it is MY prediction

UFC to announce in July, a card for Dublin that will take place late Oct/Early Nov and will be headlined by Chuck Liddell v Forrest Griffin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Providing Chuck comes through the Franklin fight unscathed

Devastator wrote: »
    Providing Chuck comes through the Franklin fight unscathed

Win or lose i can see this fight happening as i can see Chuck now being in the same league as Wandy, not good enough for a title shot but plenty big enough to headline/co headline cards

scudzilla wrote: »
    Win or lose i can see this fight happening as i can see Chuck now being in the same league as Wandy, not good enough for a title shot but plenty big enough to headline/co headline cards

I dont think Dana would continue to wheel Chuck out time after time. At least he said so at least.

rovert wrote: »
    I dont think Dana would continue to wheel Chuck out time after time. At least he said so at least.

Thats what he says, Chuck has said he won't be retiring any time soon so Dana's options are limited.
    Keep Chuck wit UFC and keep control, or let one of MMA's biggest draws go to another organisation, no brainer me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Depends how Chuck does againt Franklin. If he gets KO'd badly like he did against Evans and Rua then the pressure will be big again to retire. I don't think Chuck would fight elsewhere, he's UFC through and through and too close to DW too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

Rich Franklin is going to out work Chuck and win a decision, dunno what Chuck will do then.

He hasn't really got deep Irish roots either, his grandad, who is Irish, left Ireland when he was quite young iirc. His grandmother may be Irish aswell but I don't think so if I remember from his book. He is past it lads, simple as. If Dana won't give him a fight he prob won't go to any other org either because he would get paid more to do promo work for the UFC. It wouldn't be worth his while going to ST as he would get beat by anyone who would have a big name to fight him, King Mo, Mousasi and Hendo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hoeballs

missed the last one so ill defintely go to this one even if the card is half decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

So then, here's my prediction, and thats what it is MY prediction

UFC to announce in July, a card for Dublin that will take place late Oct/Early Nov and will be headlined by Chuck Liddell v Forrest Griffin
    I think griffin said hed never fight abroad again. He hates to travel and it effects his cut too much apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Stuffy wrote: »
    Rich Franklin is going to out work Chuck and win a decision, dunno what Chuck will do then.

I see the fight going that way aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

It looks like UFC 121 will be in Germany in November so i cant see this happening.

Pauleta wrote: »
    It looks like UFC 121 will be in Germany in November so i cant see this happening.

Huh?

MMA is banned in Germany isnt it. I know that someone involved in that situation simply threw there hands up at it getting lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Huh?

MMA is banned in Germany isnt it. I know that someone involved in that situation simply threw there hands up at it getting lifted.
    Its banned from television in Germany.The sport itself can still take place

I heard that its doubtful that it will be this year now. If it is , it will be very late 2010 if not you could be seeing a paddy's day UFC as that was the original plan. But its definitely coming .

I heard that its doubtful that it will be this year now. If it is , it will be very late 2010 if not you could be seeing a paddy's day UFC as that was the original plan. But its definitely coming .

didigogo.jpg

:(

didigogo.jpg

:(

I dont get ya ?

• Advertisement

I dont get ya ?

The play Waiting for Godot. Our wait for the next UFC has turned into a tragicomedy at this stage.

You know things are bad when Gun N Roses have beaten them to the o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 houseystuff

Just posted on Fighter's Only Twitter a/c

FightersOnly

Sorry Dubin! UFC president Dana White told us earlier there's no show there till 2011, but the UFC is dying to get back there, great crowd

So it looks like we not getting anything this year no matter what he said at expo...

WANKER

Just posted on Fighter's Only Twitter a/c

FightersOnly

Sorry Dubin! UFC president Dana White told us earlier there's no show there till 2011, but the UFC is dying to get back there, great crowd

So it looks like we not getting anything this year no matter what he said at expo...

Because they are giving the canadians three shows in a matter of weeks. Zuffa fúcks with the UK and Irish fans part 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

The o2 isnt big enough. UFC events usually get gates at around 2-3 million and the Canadian venues are pretty big at 15-20,000 people so they get 3-4 Million. UFC 93 in Dublin only took in 1.3 million and the o2 only holds 9,000. In a business sense apart from trying to popularize the sport in Ireland there isnt much point in coming to Dublin. Maybe when the TV rights are being sold again they may have reason.

Now i'm a BIG UFC fan, and a big Dana White fan, i think he's turned Zuffa/UFC right around from the brink of bankruptcy to a global phenomenon.

What is really really pissing me off right now is the promises we have constantly been given.

AT UFC93 Post show press conference & numerous times after
    "We're hoping to get over and do a Paddy's day card, we'll be back there soon for sure"

At one of the Q& A sessions from Dana in UK (Can't remember which one)
    "We'll be back in Ireland very very soon, the crowd over there was in my top 3 of all time, we can't wait to get back, should be mid 2010"

Last week at UFC Expo
    "Well be back in Dublin before the end of the year for sure, we can't wait"

All i want is some fcukin honesty, if they've no intention in coming over for another 12 months then tell us, from 5 UK/Ireland cards a year down to 1 is pretty fcukin ridiculous.
    Wish he'd just be straight and tell us why he's not botherin his arse wit Europe any more

Scudzilla: that was the UFC 99 Q&A and he said they were coming many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Unfortunately it is a matter of business etc We(ireland) are only small fry and the ufc has a feckin huge pan....jesus they got a wok ha ha. no seriously-the time difference is a big factor too-cos an irish event is on soooo early in the day in America they can't 'pay per view' it there- its generally free on spike-plus,as someone already mentioned- the 02 is not really big enough for it. oh and we don't have any fighters currently under contract with the ufc so they don't have the incentive there to 'keep us happy' from that propective either-as opposed to the uk where they do have many fighters under contract.all this plus the fact that the whole world wants a bit of the ufc at the moment and they of course got to go where the money is. i reckon its a possibility if it does come back next year it could well be st.paddys day and it would be a 'fight night'

baz123 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is a matter of business etc We(ireland) are only small fry and the ufc has a feckin huge pan....jesus they got a wok ha ha. no seriously-the time difference is a big factor too-cos an irish event is on soooo early in the day in America they can't 'pay per view' it there- its generally free on spike-plus,as someone already mentioned- the 02 is not really big enough for it. oh and we don't have any fighters currently under contract with the ufc so they don't have the incentive there to 'keep us happy' from that propective either-as opposed to the uk where they do have many fighters under contract.all this plus the fact that the whole world wants a bit of the ufc at the moment and they of course got to go where the money is. i reckon its a possibility if it does come back next year it could well be st.paddys day and it would be a 'fight night'

Don't agree with that one bit. The 2 Irish cards we've had so far they've brought in 3 Irish fighters especially for the event, even keeping Big Col an extra fight at UFC 80. So that's not a problem

We won't have a Paddy's Day card as it's a thursday, and i think Boyzone have something planned for the O2.

As for them not being able to use it as a PPV, that really hasn't bothered them that much before, hell, they even gave UFC75, Champion v Champion away as a freebie on Spike.

The capacity, just over 9,000 again isn't that much of a problem, the gate receipts are huge so that blows that outta the water. They have all the equipment (cage, lights, set up ) already in UK so that's not a bother either.

What's pissin me off is the empty promises

• Advertisement

The thread title is rather sad now.

I wonder what calender he works off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Don't agree with that one bit. The 2 Irish cards we've had so far they've brought in 3 Irish fighters especially for the event, even keeping Big Col an extra fight at UFC 80. So that's not a problem

We won't have a Paddy's Day card as it's a thursday, and i think Boyzone have something planned for the O2.

As for them not being able to use it as a PPV, that really hasn't bothered them that much before, hell, they even gave UFC75, Champion v Champion away as a freebie on Spike.

The capacity, just over 9,000 again isn't that much of a problem, the gate receipts are huge so that blows that outta the water. They have all the equipment (cage, lights, set up ) already in UK so that's not a bother either.

What's pissin me off is the empty promises
    Firstly,i have no clue of anything got to do with Boyzone :D. Secondly-the gate receipts are impressive-it sole out-but it does most places it goes anyway so to say 'that blows that out of the water' its a little bit exaggerated. Paddys Day is a Thursday next year and fight nights usually happen on a wed so its not too inconcievable to think thats a possibility. at the end of the day it 'is' all just business- why would the ufc choose somewhere of a capacity of 9,000 or so and more that likely no 'pay per view' over somewhere of 14,000/15,000 and a 'pay per view' ??? anyway i really do think it will be back its just a matter of when it suits then etc-the ufc is obviously i high demand and we are hopefully not that far away. i don't think anyone is impressed or happy with the empty promises either-i actually feel its a little disrespectfull-why announce something several times and not follow through on it? business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UltimateMale

I'm afaraid it will be a few years before we see the UFC back in Ireland, they have their expansion on the Middle East, Asia etc to think of. Nice it was here once though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I think we should get a petition going on facebook and stir up some controversy :D

I'm hearing that we lost out to Germany on an event, and that they'll be getting an event later this year.

Source is a guy called Joe Ferraro, a canadian MMA TV guy who is pretty big over the pond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I think we should get a petition going on facebook and stir up some controversy :D

I couldnt agree more, The TUF11 final is on next weekend, Dana white is normally on Twiter.

I think we should gang bang him, Every IRISH MMA fan start posting, asking If/when UFC is coming back :D

Or something to that effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Would that mean setting up a Twitter account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wandy 1

Sorry to burst your bubble but Dana seemed to have given every country that same stock answer at the Expo.

I believe Dana has said UFC are coming to Ireland for paddys day 2011. Too bad Chuck wont be here but if the atmosphere is like the last 1, it'll be gr8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Wandy 1 wrote: »
    I believe Dana has said UFC are coming to Ireland for paddys day 2011. Too bad Chuck wont be here but if the atmosphere is like the last 1, it'll be gr8.

He said they were trying to come back for Paddy's day 2010, I know this cos I asked him myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

baz123 wrote: »
    Firstly,i have no clue of anything got to do with Boyzone :D. Secondly-the gate receipts are impressive-it sole out-but it does most places it goes anyway so to say 'that blows that out of the water' its a little bit exaggerated. Paddys Day is a Thursday next year and fight nights usually happen on a wed so its not too inconcievable to think thats a possibility. at the end of the day it 'is' all just business- why would the ufc choose somewhere of a capacity of 9,000 or so and more that likely no 'pay per view' over somewhere of 14,000/15,000 and a 'pay per view' ??? anyway i really do think it will be back its just a matter of when it suits then etc-the ufc is obviously i high demand and we are hopefully not that far away. i don't think anyone is impressed or happy with the empty promises either-i actually feel its a little disrespectfull-why announce something several times and not follow through on it? business

I agree that the UFC will be back at some stage but at the end of the day Dana White would say mass in order to keep the fans interested. The problem with an Irish return is that the UFC need to take over the O2 for 7days in order to get everything set up and the O2 so far, hasn't had a 7day gap to give them. I don't know how they are to over come this other than to actually commit to booking something for next year but as far as this year goes its highly unlikely.

Check out the event listings for the O2 for 2010/2011

http://www.theo2.ie/event-listing/

It's very frustrating!

• Advertisement

I agree that the UFC will be back at some stage but at the end of the day Dana White would say mass in order to keep the fans interested. The problem with an Irish return is that the UFC need to take over the O2 for 7days in order to get everything set up and the O2 so far, hasn't had a 7day gap to give them. I don't know how they are to over come this other than to actually commit to booking something for next year but as far as this year goes its highly unlikely.

Check out the event listings for the O2 for 2010/2011

http://www.theo2.ie/event-listing/

It's very frustrating!

Dunno where you've heard that but they've worked on a 3 day schedule in London, Gig was on the Wed and they had weigh ins on Fri for UFC 75.

Only time they had to move the weigh ins was for the next London card, they had a gig on thurs nioght so moved weigh ins to another venue.

Dunno where you've heard that but they've worked on a 3 day schedule in London, Gig was on the Wed and they had weigh ins on Fri for UFC 75.

Only time they had to move the weigh ins was for the next London card, they had a gig on thurs nioght so moved weigh ins to another venue.

I dont think it was 7 days either, it was longer than normal it was due to the layout of the arena. The Dana video blog talking about it maybe still up.

Big Star reference:
    oh Dana, oh Dana, come on, come on
    oh, oh Dana, Dana come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

A friend of mine was working in the O2 at the last one and that's what he said that they had like 6 or 7 days to set up and dismantle.

Fact of the matter is anyway its not going to be back this year and probably not early next year either so may aswell start saving for UFC 120 in London and the fan expo also where no doubt Dana White will promise us the sun, the moon and the stars AGAIN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irish M

FO: Irish fans have been pretty vocal recently since a Dublin show has failed to materialise this year. Are they going to see you back there any time soon? What are your thoughts on the Irish market?

Love it. We were supposed to go to Dublin recently, we were going to have show recently. That arena in Dublin held 9,500 people - pound for pound the best arena we have ever done. It sounded like there were 19,000 people there that night. We are going back to Dublin and I want to really bad, its just scheduling and sometimes sh it happens. But we are definitely going back to Dublin, I’m excited to get back to Dublin.

Just a pity he doesn't say when

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordy1208

according to yer man gareth davis (The english reporter that does be on espn mma live) the ufc are going to edinburgh next year, so if this year is anything to go by f(or european events) we'll be lucky to see the ufc back next year.

fordy1208 wrote: »
    according to yer man gareth davis (The english reporter that does be on espn mma live) the ufc are going to edinburgh next year, so if this year is anything to go by f(or european events) we'll be lucky to see the ufc back next year.

Have Edinburgh even got a 10,000 capacity arena?

A one stage the plan was to have a Fight Night in Scotland as their arenas are/were so small leading into a Dublin PPV that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The internet tells me there is no arena in Edinburgh worth talking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The internet tells me there is no arena in Edinburgh worth talking of.

Marshall Zelaznik said that a while ago too. There's very little in terms of appropriate arenas in either Scotland or Wales.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Marshall Zelaznik said that a while ago too. There's very little in terms of appropriate arenas in either Scotland or Wales.

Yeah there is, The Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, They can use the whole stadium and have a capacity of 80,000+ or just section part of it like they've done for a few boxing bouts and have a 25,000 capacity

• Advertisement
Advertisement