Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy in line for Gerry Ryan's old show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't believe the money quoted for a start. Gerry ryans show is now history as far as I can see and hear. RTE will use this to further adjust 2fm target audience. I just can't see many of the old listeners to the G Ryan show hanging around for Tubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bbability wrote: »
    I don't believe the money quoted for a start. Gerry ryans show is now history as far as I can see and hear. RTE will use this to further adjust 2fm target audience. I just can't see many of the old listeners to the G Ryan show hanging around for Tubs.

Some change it would be... From a man who gave everything of himself and his personal life to the show, to a man who is prepared to give nothing of himself to the show.. shirks and squirms at the most basic of personal questions.. But if it gets him off Radio 1, which is excellent apart from his tabloid hour, then it gets my vote..

He should be given NO MORE MONEY though, he's on ridiculous amount of money for being very mediocre as it is. Very poor on the LLS show this year... poorly researched, mumbles over his cue cards, little or no humour. Though it has to be mentioned that the quality of the guests mirrored the quality of the interviewing. The argument that people usually use is that RTE has to pay him all this money because otherwise he will be poached by a private company... No private company in the current environment would pay him a million euro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

bbability... I'm guessing it's in Tubs' interest to have that figure floating around, but I'm inclined to agree with Mr Anon. At the very height of the boom, the Talent could just about argue that their inflated pay was needed to ward off efforts to poach them by the private sector. But there's no way Tubridy would cut it anywhere other than RTE. That 'I'm too posh to bother preparing for this' blather was a novelty at first but not any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Guess not everybody out there is into the whole 'tightening our belts' mantra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

they show give it to a complete unknown , an up and coming DJ already in rte,
    he can then make it his own, needs to be right person though, someone who fits the bill, its not easy,
    but thats how gerry ryan show started ,so give a new person same break gerry got,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Please not Tubirdy, I have a strong dislike for the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

He finds it hard enough to fill a 1 hour show on RTE 1.

Imagine 3 hours of his D4 drivel and another 2 hours on Fri night. Jaysis!!!!

At least he would be gone from RTE 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Some change it would be... From a man who gave everything of himself and his personal life to the show, to a man who is prepared to give nothing of himself to the show.. shirks and squirms at the most basic of personal questions.. But if it gets him off Radio 1, which is excellent apart from his tabloid hour, then it gets my vote..

He should be given NO MORE MONEY though, he's on ridiculous amount of money for being very mediocre as it is. Very poor on the LLS show this year... poorly researched, mumbles over his cue cards, little or no humour. Though it has to be mentioned that the quality of the guests mirrored the quality of the interviewing. The argument that people usually use is that RTE has to pay him all this money because otherwise he will be poached by a private company... No private company in the current environment would pay him a million euro..

Tuning in daily then?

Lets be realistic who else then?

rovert wrote: »
    Tuning in daily then? Lets be realistic who else then?
    Like I said, I listen to Radio One a lot, so getting him off Radio One would be the best part of this for me. I dont listen to 2FM so it's irrelevant who fills in for Gerry, but it certainly will be a difficult choice for RTE.

Nobody can replace Gerry, but plenty can do a similar job to what Tubridy would do... even Kathryn Thomas(who wouldnt have a huge amount of radio experience) proved that she could cover his show quite capably when she filled in for him earlier this year.

So, I dont want RTE showering him with more taxpayers money on this false perception that will be headhunted if they dont.. I mean ffs Berbatov is better value for money than Tubridy..

A simple yes would have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have to say that I agree with all of you. I would be a major enough radio listener. Would also listen to much of the Radio 1 stuff throughout the weekend and where posible during the week.

I must say that I too was astonished at the suggestion of Tubridy being paid 1 million euro for this. I have a problem with this on several levels.

1. First of all, I dont think he is all that good. His current programme is very niche and he hardly ever catches the moos of a particular time. For instance during the week Ray D'Arcy was talking a bit about and including the massacre in Cumbria. In the past Gery Ryan (who I wouldnt have been a major fan of) would also capture the mood of a particular issue but if you switched to Tubridy he would be rabbitting on about the latest book or author or whatever in a programme that could have been recorded weeks earlier.
    2. Further to the above, I had started to switch away from R1 to 2FM or Today FM because Tubridy used to bore me on the occasional times I got to hear him. He is very much a niche type of broadcaster and not suited imo to the type of audience in the morning 2FM slot.
    3. Tubridy already has enough on his plate with the Late Late etc and RTE will be sending out a message that there is no other talent out there if they hand another major gig to this guy who hasnt really demonstrated that he has the capacity to make it a success.
    4. RTE showed a bit of risk taking and creativity when taking Gerry Ryan from a late night slot into his 2FM slot. Why cant they earn their big salaries and show some creativity and forward thinking in this new appointment.
    5. The reported €1m salary is sickening in any times but especially so in this time of recession when many people paying these guys wages are either out of work or having to work harder for less. On top of that the bould Ryan was very very slow giving back any of his earnings last year....dont know if he ever did so.
    6. As was stated above, Ryan wouldnt get the colour of that salary on the open market so why are RTE proposing to pay that to him????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Dixiefly, you're right on the button there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

eamon keane of newstalk would be an obvious choice.
    The old lunchtime show on newstalk is not the same without him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

dixiefly wrote: »
    1. First of all, I dont think he is all that good. His current programme is very niche and he hardly ever catches the moos of a particular time. For instance during the week Ray D'Arcy was talking a bit about and including the massacre in Cumbria. In the past Gery Ryan (who I wouldnt have been a major fan of) would also capture the mood of a particular issue but if you switched to Tubridy he would be rabbitting on about the latest book or author or whatever in a programme that could have been recorded weeks earlier.
    2. Further to the above, I had started to switch away from R1 to 2FM or Today FM because Tubridy used to bore me on the occasional times I got to hear him. He is very much a niche type of broadcaster and not suited imo to the type of audience in the morning 2FM slot.

Couldn't agree with any of the two points above. Comparing Tubridy to D'arcy is like comparing Einstein to Jedward. Tubridy's show is about intellegent conversation while D'arcy talks gibberish plucked from the tabloid media and relies on cheap shots at easy targets (the church, politicians etc). If that is your idea of good radio then, you're correct, Tubridy isn't the man for you... If you enjoy D'arcy et al, then you can get your fix today but just going to the 'Personal Issues' forum on here... It's the same stuff he reads out all morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silly argument re catching the mood, Tubbers is the light bit between Morning Ireland and Pat Kennys programme. Both of which were full of Cumbia shootings.

eamon keane of newstalk would be an obvious choice.
    The old lunchtime show on newstalk is not the same without him!
    Yeah, it's improved immensley. No more whining Eamon trying to be Joe Duffy and doing his best to cod us all into thinking he's sincere. He's a moron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well they're giving hector a pop at it next week so don't rule him out either. Rte have no one but themselves to blame for this conundrum. The up and coming talent should be sitting ready and waiting on their network but if you have a good look around they weren't prepared for this. No one can fill Gerrys shoes..

bbability wrote: »
    Well they're giving hector a pop at it next week so don't rule him out either. Rte have no one but themselves to blame for this conundrum. The up and coming talent should be sitting ready and waiting on their network but if you have a good look around they weren't prepared for this. No one can fill Gerrys shoes..
    Jeez! how much more scraping can the bottom of their barrel take? Hector's a fcukin comedian not a radio presenter! They're a bunch of clowns at montrose. They've tried non radio people in various slots including this And they still don't learn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hector's not a comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Give it to dunphy

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's improved immensley. No more whining Eamon trying to be Joe Duffy and doing his best to cod us all into thinking he's sincere. He's a moron!

I liked Eamon Keane at first, but you get sick of him being facetious about NAMA, builders, bankers etc etc.. tiresome and not funny. Eamon
    Dunphy would be good but how long would he stay at it.. he never seems to stick at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

If only Ricky Gervais or some other GLR DJ s were available to take over from Gerry... I used to love listening to some guy whos name escapes me, but when they gave him his own tv show and i got to see him, it destroyed the magic that only radio can create for me. What was his name, very funny guy on the radio.Like me , he had a face and body made for radio.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Looks like the 'agent to the stars', Noel Kelly is doing his job well. Floating around that 1 million euro figure, keeping Tubber's beanpole frame in the papers while he's off - that's good representation by Mr Kelly.
    If that one million figure turns out to be correct, and I doubt it, it would be an outrage in my view.
    If it turns out that Tubridy is indeed heading to 2fm, his rat pack/white house/ west wing schtick will wear very thin very quickly - as it has in my opinion on Radio 1.
    Noel Kelly is one of the reasons why Irish broadcasting is so mediocre, promoting some talentless yet omnipresent oiks relentlessly until our resistance is broken down.
    After RTE management, he is a big part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is Tubridy worth €1m for Gerry's slot?
    Baying lefties like Eamon Gilmore will say no. I say yes, absolutely

Is Ryan Tubridy worth €1m a year? That's the question I'm asking myself today, having read that this is allegedly what RTE is willing to offer him to take over Gerry Ryan's radio slot, as well as presenting the Late Late Show. And the unequivocal answer is yes.

Ryan is that rare breed -- someone who is both successful and popular. Michael O'Leary is great at his job, but be honest, you'd cross the street to avoid him. Ryan, on the other hand, has a quick brain, an assured confidence on air, and also that thing that all broadcasters seek -- the common touch.

At the recent Walkers TVNow Awards, he was voted Ireland's favourite male TV presenter. In this unashamed popularity contest, Ryan comfortably came out on top, not just personally for the third year in a row, but also for the Late Late Show -- the first time it's scooped the award.

No doubt a baying pack of lefties will be up in arms at the prospect of someone earning this princely sum. People like Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore, for example, who this weekend has called for a 48pc tax rate for 'high-earners' on over €100,000 a year.

It's typical of the lazy, rabble-rousing standard of political thinking these days that this old chestnut is being wheeled out again. Rather than encouraging enterprise, rewarding those who actually create jobs and contribute taxes to the exchequer, let's penalise them when get their just rewards.

Each year, the HSE spends €350m on the 5pc of its staff who fail to turn up for work every day -- but curiously I haven't heard a politician suggesting we should do something about that. You know why? Because trimming 7,000 people off the public wage bill who don't actually do any work in the first place isn't as easy as trotting out the old 'tax the rich' soundbite. Politicians moan incessantly about how difficult their jobs are, and how even when they're not officially 'at work' (those life-sapping 100 days in the year the Dail actually sits) they are constantly at the mercy of the public.

Wealth

Well it's the same for TV presenters, guys, the main difference being that when Pat Kenny is buying some asparagus in Dunnes and is approached by the public, he doesn't have a minder and PR person to shield him the way Brian Cowen does.

Most importantly, there's a big difference between Ryan Tubridy's huge salary, and that of politicians. Gerry Ryan's radio show generated about €5m in advertising a year for RTE -- Gerry only earned about 10pc that amount.

Tubridy generates huge income already for RTE, and would no doubt continue to do so on a 2fm radio show. While politicians seem to spend so much time trying to find underhand ways of topping up their salaries, Tubbers & Co are actually generating the wealth that employs countless others.

This is the subtle difference that the 'tax the rich' brigade fail to grasp -- TDs get paid a big salary, Ryan Tubridy earns his. Got that, Deputy Gilmore?

Tubs isn't worth €1m, but I do think it is funny to see the Press harp on about the difficulties that 2FM is in now that Jerry Ryan is Dead (RIP), especially after years of being absolute disgusted by RTÉ Star salaries.

RTÉ should try someone new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Give the gig to Sean Moncrieff, who can easily move between a lightweight topic, and more hard-hitting current affairs. Tubridy can sometimes struggle with even the hour long slot.

Or perhaps it is time to question the need for 2FM at all? I can't see where it fits with the public service remit RTE is obliged to operate under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

If you really think jerry ryan gave everything of himself you're very naive!

Things he never mentioned include - his marriage break-up, his excessive 'fondness' of prescription medication, any friends who were not millionaires, his rather large property portfolio.

Speaking of which, anytime he went off on one of his prophetic rants in which he would dispense his wisdom to the masses and god forbid he was wrong, he would never come back and mention it again.
    I remember a few years ago he went on one massive rant declaring that property prices only go one way! Can you imagine how many people went and bought houses after hearing that!

Anyway where was i - his new girlfriend, his salary, his disasterous autobiography or in fact anything from his professional career that wasnt successful. Feel free to add more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

If you're going to post such a venomous post, with a number of serious and unsubstantiated rumours, then you could at least get the spelling of the man's name right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

kraggy wrote: »
    Hector's not a comedian.
    You're right there boss, he's a silly little gobshít from 'Naaaaaavan' who thinks he is funny because he tells a few smutty stupid jokes and goes on about 'haaawrse racin lads'. Terrible how this fool can be let on the airwaves, he should go back to Naaaavan and shovel shít in some stable somewhere, where no-one will have to listen to his stupid made up stories.
    Yes we know you can speak Irish, and have 'gingaaar' hair, and we know you're from Naaaaavan.

As for Tubridy, who would want to listen to this Dork for 3 hours every morning going on about books that no-one has heard of? The time I heard him say "the proverbial flogging of a late Equine creature", there was blood coming out of my ears.
    No one can fill Gerry Ryans shoes, he is sadly missed.

• Advertisement

I remember a few years ago he went on one massive rant declaring that property prices only go one way! Can you imagine how many people went and bought houses after hearing that!

What kind of witless idiot would go out and buy a house on the back of something said on the radio that morning? Get over yourself, would you? A lot of people used to enjoy listening to Gerry Ryan on the radio: deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

What kind of witless idiot would go out and buy a house on the back of something said on the radio that morning? Get over yourself, would you? A lot of people used to enjoy listening to Gerry Ryan on the radio: deal with it.

Once you are dead - thou shalt not be criticised ever again!

Sergeant wrote: »
    If you're going to post such a venomous post, with a number of serious and unsubstantiated rumours, then you could at least get the spelling of the man's name right.

Fair point regarding the spelling, never was my strong point, but what was venomous about it? And which of my points are rumours?

No offence intended at all, just making the point that Gerry was far from open about his life which a previous poster suggested he was.

And before you make the point that there was no obligation on him to bare his soul to the nation, i agree, im just making the point that he never did!

Radio (and talk radio in particular) is flooded with economists, financial advisors and other such people who dispense their wisdom to the masses.
    Believe or not, every house buyer is not necessarily an expert on property prices. Ordinary people do listen and react to the advise that these people give out. And people most certainly listened to gerrys advise.

If you really think jerry ryan gave everything of himself you're very naive!Things he never mentioned include - his marriage break-up, his excessive 'fondness' of prescription medication, any friends who were not millionaires, his rather large property portfolio.
    Okay, maybe not everything then, but Tubridy squirms when the most insignificant personal questions are asked of him. At least Gerry Ryan gave something of himself to the show then..
    MJ23 wrote: »
    him say "the proverbial flogging of a late Equine creature", there was blood coming out of my ears.
    It's this sort of pretentious b0ll0x that sends me diving for tuner on the radio. I wonder did he have that written on a cue card in front of him. About as spontaneous as Joe Duffy's puns.

It's this sort of pretentious b0ll0x that sends me diving for tuner on the radio. I wonder did he have that written on a cue card in front of him. About as spontaneous as Joe Duffy's puns.

And at least Joe Duffy can form sentences that have a beginning, a middle and an end. Something Tubridy, with his perpetual, pointless, self-serving, endlessly qualifying, often contradictory sub-clauses and tangents, seems incapable of doing.

• Advertisement

From that Evening Herald article:
    Ryan, on the other hand, has a quick brain, an assured confidence on air, and also that thing that all broadcasters seek -- the common touch.
    Is Ryan Tubridy worth €1m a year? ....... the unequivocal answer is yes.

Judge for yourself how "quick" his brain is, and how "assured" he is in his interviewing... the common touch, the common D4 touch maybe.

Unequivocally worth 1mil a year. Unequivocally NOT ffs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

a man who is prepared to give nothing of himself to the show.. shirks and squirms at the most basic of personal questions..
    As is his right. What entitles you to details of his private life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hugsandkisses

Ah now behave and stop fighting like good children, G Ryan was a very good man and he would like ye all to get on, however if he was alive today you could fight all ye like because I would ring him and he would sort ye out :).

Judge for yourself how "quick" his brain is, and how "assured" he is in his interviewing... the common touch, the common D4 touch maybe.

Kay runs rings around him in that clip. Brutal stuff

I guess no one has Kays other chat appearences....

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    As is his right. What entitles you to details of his private life?
    Absolutely agree Aidric, but my point was in the context of him taking over the GR show. I was just making the contrast. A lot of what made The Gerry Ryan Show so popular Gerry's his willingness to discuss his own life and his own family. And this core element of the show would be lost if Tubridy took over.

The only time I've seen him make reference to his kids was when he mounted his high "equine creature", and passed judgement on Brian McFadden's decision to stay working in Australia. So I guess it's fair game if you can reference them to substantiate your own argument..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

hopefully tubridy follows Gerry in more than one way.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Absolutely agree Aidric, but my point was in the context of him taking over the GR show. I was just making the contrast. A lot of what made The Gerry Ryan Show so popular Gerry's his willingness to discuss his own life and his own family. And this core element of the show would be lost if Tubridy took over.
    RTE shouldn't be reaching for a Ryan clone. Whoever comes in should be attempting to put their own stamp on the show and not trying in vain to emulate what Ryan did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Tubridy has the presence and command of a an excitable unsure shy schoolboy

Kay sensed this and played him. That must have been great fun for Kay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

At least it would still be the Ryan line....

StereoLove wrote: »
    At least it would still be the Ryan line....

They will save a million just by keeping it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

This week Katherine Thomas is performing way better than Ryan Tubridy

Tubridy has been exposed for the talentless fraud that he is.

KT should be given RTs radio 1 slot

Ryan Tubridy should not be let near the ex Gerry Ryan slot - 2FM should keep Colm solo and drop the mouth Lucy.

RT should be told to improve The Lite Lite Show or be fired from that too

The 09/10 Lite Lite Show will go down as the worst season ever.

I guess it helps that Ryan Tubridy's Grand dad was a former Chairman of the RTE Authority?

Barname wrote: »
    I guess it helps that Ryan Tubridy's Grand dad was a former Chairman of the RTE Authority?

That all depends on how well liked he was as Chairman, Chairman is a very different job to Director General. The RTÉ Authority was purely their to over see the work of RTÉ.

The private sector of Radio is filled with FF hacks. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

Plowman wrote: »

Ryan T. was good on Tuburity Tonight however he does lack a certain amount of genuine interest in his guests. He really can't do the serious interview that Pat Kenny could do but then Pat Kenny can't to the light entertainment that T. Ryan can do. Really to be able to do the serious interview and the light entertainment interview are key to a successful Late Late Show.

I felt that people were overly negative on Pat Kenny, I think his run on The Late Late Show was significant, I don't know if Ryan Tubrity will ever have a murderer sitting beside him.

The Late Late Show and The Saturday Show for 2010/2011 need to define themselves because it looks like B. O'Connor will be running after the same tired guests. And light entertainment does not equal soap stars.

Back on topic, could Ryan T. take over from G. Ryan? IMO No could any of the other 2fm presenters do it, I somehow can't see the older guys wanting it for personal reasons, Will Lehy seems the most likely or maybe even Rick O'Shea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement