Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy in line for Gerry Ryan's old show?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Just heard on Newstalk that Tubs has got Gerrys spot 9-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

miketv wrote: »
    Just heard on Newstalk that Tubs has got Gerrys spot 9-12

i think it its 9-11 now hes takin over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

miketv wrote: »

With all the lovely positive comments at the end. I wonder if someone posted something negative would it get published...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

tallpaul wrote: »
    With all the lovely positive comments at the end. I wonder if someone posted something negative would it get published...??

I left a negative but polite comment twenty five minutes ago, needless to say it hasn't been published

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well well well, back where he started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sparrowman

He's back where he started alright and where he'll be at his best IMO. One hour on Radio 1 discussing random topics didn't do him justice, this could be an opportunity to revert back to the full irish days when he was given more freedom... like him or not at least it's not the insufferable bore that was Eamonn Keane... so let's all be thankful for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tubridy on DriveTime now ... after the break ... with PBH..

This is great news... now I can listen to the radio from 7 -12 on Radio One without having to change... The recession ends here.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

His first guest will probalally be mammy o rourke!!:D...wonder will he have a Fianna Fail friday to compete with Ray's fix it friday.RTE=another quango

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

Great to see the Management of RTE have a great ability to change.
    The same old faces have been running around RTE since its foundation.
    Eammon Andrew, Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy all related to one another . GR and RT probably have the same manager to deal for them . Thks be to Fcku I gave up paying a licence years Ago .
    At leat now with the many commerical stations out there The people have a choice but it does piss me off that RTE cant work without a 63 million handout from the tax payer . That money should be spread out and given to the other stations as well .
    Anyway good on the Tubridys, kennys, Duffys etc for getting top dollar from the 62 million .I just wish they were not so hypocritical about it

jerry2623 wrote: »
    At leat now with the many commerical stations out there The people have a choice but it does piss me off that RTE cant work without a 63 million handout from the tax payer . That money should be spread out and given to the other stations as well .

There was an article a few months ago about how RTE were halving their advertising costs just to keep their clients from advertising on other stations. The head of TV3 was giving out about this, justifiably imo. Surely it is anti competitive for the state to fund one station that is competing with other stations.

This is great news... now I can listen to the radio from 7 -12 on Radio One without having to change... The recession ends here.. :)
    Plowman wrote: »

You were saying? :p

Isnt it amazing how serendipitous Tubridy's career has been. Whether you like him or hate him (I subscribe to the latter), you would never have thought that Pat Kenny would have stepped down from the LLS after only ten years, affording Tubridy the opportunity to take over the LSS years years before he would have reasonably expected. They nearly had to get the Emergency Response Unit in to RTE studios to prize Gay from the desk, and yet Pat just gives it up.. :confused: ..... Then Gerry Ryan dies at such a young age, again creating the opportunity to take over one of the flagship radio shows.

Being liked by his relations the people at the head of FF/RTE of course helps, but realistically neither Pat nor Gerry would have been ousted to make way for him.. How things could have been so much different for Marian Finucane if luck had been kinder to her..

It's true what they say... I'd rather be lucky than good/smart... congrats Ryan.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If RTÉ are planning to pay Tubs the 1million that was suggested I hope they understand the hassle that they will get from such a deal, and purely just distracting people from more important issues, we will find out in a few years how much they did pay. Lets hope they have a clause allowing them to reduce fees should a presenter loose an audience.
    Eammon Andrew, Gerry Ryan, Ryan Tubridy all related to one another

Eamon Andrews I don't think he worked as a presenter at RTÉ, and I think another person meant Todd Andrews not Eamonn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

Tubbers just said that he is not getting any extra pay for the extra 5 hours (new show runs 9-11)

Plowman wrote: »

You move one person, your open up a whole other discussion.

Derek Moooooooooooooooooooooooooney.

Dave Fanning or John Creedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Did they go for Tubs so they could keep the "Ryan Line is now open" bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    hopefully tubridy follows Gerry in more than one way.......
    7 day ban for that silly comment and a warning to Barman for the thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I just hope Eamonn Keane doesn't get Tubridy's old slot :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Elmo wrote: »

Derek Moooooooooooooooooooooooooney.

Oh Jaysis no, not him and the rest of the George pluggin their pantos every week. Not to mention that batty neenaa ni nawnaa first thing in the mornin, that would cruel and unusual punishment. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Read a very good piece recently about how Tubridy isnt too keen on asking celebrities tough questions as he sees himself as one as well.

He also takes the hump whenever the FF thing is mentioned

I agree with a previous poster about listening to Radio 1, the hour between 9 and 10 was no mans land.

You had tubridy waffling on about some crap like the history of the poison pen letter, followed by a 45 minute interview with Diarmud Ferriter.

Or there's Ray Darcy reading out texts from people who seem to think their deepest personal problems can be solved by contacting a radio station

or Tom dunne who is apparently the only person on the planed to procreate and feels the need to tell us about how his kids sneezed last month

giftgrub wrote: »
    Read a very good piece recently about how Tubridy isnt too keen on asking celebrities tough questions as he sees himself as one as well.He also takes the hump whenever the FF thing is mentioned

yeah, I thought it was particularly funny when he asked Micko which parties asked him to run for them and he said "your crowd" ... lol... He didn like that either. Always annoys me the way the LLS audience this season have been like Tubridy's/FF pet sheep. Do RTE carry out background checks on the people before they get a ticket?

Listened to Kathryn Thomas again this morning, with Bill O'Herlihy and then some mad lad surfer. She's actually very good. Asked Bill about the two rows with Giles, Giants stadium... etc etc... i.e. it was interesting. Tubridy would have gone tabloid as he normally does when the subject doesnt interest him. Like when he asked Harrington about Woods' sex life, or Paul O'Connell about Donnacha O'Callaghan's pranks, as opposed to (god for bid) talking about sport.

I say give the job to Kathryn Thomas, she's surprisingly good for someone of little experience. She's happy, down to earth, and a good interviewer based on the few I've heard. Baffles me to hear the RTE heads describing Tubridy as "talented" when Kathryn Thomas can do his job better than him with two weeks experience.

Listened to Kathryn Thomas again this morning, with Bill O'Herlihy and then some mad lad surfer. She's actually very good. Asked Bill about the two rows with Giles, Giants stadium... etc etc... i.e. it was interesting. Tubridy would have gone tabloid as he normally does when the subject doesnt interest him. Like when he asked Harrington about Woods' sex life, or Paul O'Connell about Donnacha O'Callaghan's pranks, as opposed to (god for bid) talking about sport.

Ah but she presented The Grip for years and has an interest in sport. However no matter how much you dislike a subject as a presenter you should do some research and act like you know something.

I think KT is far better than Tubs, she is more comfortable talking with the variety of people that the show demands.

Tubs has never left D4 and he can't deal with people that are not of his perceived social status (read snob).
    Look at the interview with Peter Kay someone posted earlier,
    Kay understands and has seen more of Ireland than Tubridy, and in a sense Peter Kay is more Irish than Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I say give the job to Kathryn Thomas, she's surprisingly good for someone of little experience. She's happy, down to earth, and a good interviewer based on the few I've heard. Baffles me to hear the RTE heads describing Tubridy as "talented" when Kathryn Thomas can do his job better than him with two weeks experience.

+1

and my postings on boards are testimony that praise from me is hard earned.

Barname wrote: »
    +1

Praise from anyone on boards is hard earned. (No offence, I include myself in that statement)

Barname wrote: »
    +1

Elmo wrote: »
    Praise from anyone on boards is hard earned. (No offence, I include myself in that statement)

I think you're both great posters;)

bump, RTE are casting about for a 500,000 euro sponsership deal for Tubbers new show!
    Good luck to them, can't imagine there will be too mnay with that kind of money to spend even if they get their name checked with each and every ad break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The Gerry Ryan Show was doing a bit of casting around itself back in 2008. 111,000 euro a quarter would have got you - 35 sponsor-credited stings per week, 7 prime-time promotions per week and a 3 month sponsorship of the Gerry Ryan home page.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-flagships-fail-in-pitch-for-new-sponsors-1510485.html

It took another year for LowLow to take up the offer.

So they are looking for more money after 2 years deflation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Yes, but how could anyone resist a pitch like this...

"The one and only Ryan Tubridy is preparing to unleash himself back on 2fm. It's stacking up to be an energetic collision as Ryan's unique showmanship, intelligence and wit turn it up all the way to 11am" - RTE Radio Sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

I hate Tubridy. He's the most basic character ever. His questioning of guests on the Late Late Show is totally inadequate. Ugh. Like the time he was interviewing that woman that was raped when she was a little girl, his questions were: "How did you feel?" and "Did you cry?"... Man, what an idiot.

mike65 wrote: »
    bump, RTE are casting about for a 500,000 euro sponsership deal for Tubbers new show!
    Good luck to them, can't imagine there will be too mnay with that kind of money to spend even if they get their name checked with each and every ad break.

How else do you expect them to pay for RT's fee?

Advertisement