Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTR Records

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

If I order a domain can i setup a PTR record to point to my Dyndns username and this would work like a static IP address then ???

example
    vpn.mydomain.com as a PTR and have this pointing at my dyndns account, would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

No - the PTR record has to be set by whoever controls the IP address

If the IP is on Eircom's network, they control it
    If the IP is on Magnets' network - they control it
    etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

is there any way I can setup a .com Domain
    www.mydomain.com

have a server behind my firewall, have OWA setup, confgure

https://mydomain.com/exchnage 0 this would usually point to a static IP address

this is the problem, i cant get a static IP address . So im thinking if I setup my dyndns

is there anyway to get this solution to work

getting an MX record to point to the dyndns.org account ?

Any ideas would be great . thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Getting the MX record to point to the dyndns (or whatever) account isn't an issue, as an MX record has to point to an A record
    If the A record is managed by the other system's software then it should work - but you will have issues sending email to a LOT of places, as the IP range will be listed as dynamic. Depending on how dynamic the IP is you could also have "interesting" issues with mail delivery inbound, as some servers will cache the IP associated with the hostname of the MX for several hours ..

Put it this way. If you want to do this as some sort of tech experiment for fun - then sure

But if you're trying to do anything semi-serious with it you may need to rethink it

Advertisement