Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xeon or i7

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am building a new PC - for gaming.

I will either go with amd 890fx (probably asus mobo) and 6 core phenom 2 (since price is same as 4 core). Or I was thinking of asus rampage 3 + i7-930. But I was told instead of going i7 i should pick Xeon E5620 32nm 12mb which has better tdb - 80W and has big OC potential. Now that was just one opinion I got and was wondering if anyone knows more about this.

I'm building this pc with 2x5870 and will not upgrade anything till games will not run smoothly (so I take it should last 1-2 years).

Also I would get either 8 or 12 GB of ram (depends on the platform).
    Have an SSD and HDD already. So now just picking mobo+cpu+ram and PSU.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I was considering upgrading to an i7/i5 system but the idea of going to a Xeon based system sounds very interesting. I've just done a quick google and it seems that a socket 1366 board will do so you wouldn't be limited to high end workstation boards which would have added a real price premium to the build.
    Can't find a gaming review of the E5620 though but in theory it should overclock well and it's not missing any key features of an i7. Could be a good choice.
    I'd be interested in what the more experienced users have to say on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are you simply looking for the one that overclocks best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I don't mean to hijack omri's thread here.
    I would be interested in performance and heat and I'm guessing that being based on 32nm the E5620 would be a contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I was only told that it's a better value/price solution - I have no idea how it works in games though.

Ofcourse TDP is much lower so I take it's overall a cheaper cpu.

@sickboy

Not much bout this CPU in gaming but found some info here

Advertisement