Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To show what we have to live with.

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am sick of this F***ing country

Yesterday as an example. Between 3pm and 7pm.

Motorcycle Kevlar jeans which I got in the USA for $100, Dublin shop €150.00. I questioned it and was told “well that’s the price I won’t sell them cheaper”

IFSC Car Park. €6.00 for 1hour 10mins. I questioned this too “that is a special daily rate and we don’t break it down.” Up to yesterday I used this car-park 3 times a week, never again.

I met a friend for 1 quick drink. I was driving so had a coke he had a bottle of Miller. €9.00 Total, €5.50 for the Miller and €3.50 for a Coke. Never going back to that bar.

Than I went to the chipper on the way home. I had a load of coin so I added up what it should be, to clear my pocket. €11.30. That will be €13.10 she said……………Sorry how much?
    She knew she was caught straight away. “You did ask for 2 portions of sausages didn’t you” I said no and she tried to take the bag and said sorry I will take out the second portion. I still had hold of the bag and opened it myself, guess what no second portion. The boss started shouting at me and told me to get out. I just left. There was no one else there to witness it so there was no point it reporting them.

This sort of thing is ongoing everyday. Things are tight at the moment for me. Big pay cut so this kind of crap kills me.

RANT over sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

To be honest, with the exception of the motorcycle trousers which could be described as safety equipment, all of what you fell you have been ripped off on are luxury items.

Driving in to town, take-aways, pubs. They can all stick the arm in because they know people don't expect value when they are treating themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

What nearly everyone who compares usa price with irish prices forgets is taxes & duties.

Sales tax in USA is applied at till - so $100 = $110 (av 10% sales tax) - vat is 21% here

Also duty on clothing in europe can be up to 14%

Yes there's still a price difference but ex tax / duty price in USA is about €83 and ex tax price in Ireland is about €108

maybe live in the USA and avail of lower prices - but remember average $13000 health insurance, 1% property tax, state (av. 10%) & federal (up to 35%) income taxes. - The grass is not greener elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

To be honest, with the exception of the motorcycle trousers which could be described as safety equipment, all of what you fell you have been ripped off on are luxury items.

Driving in to town, take-aways, pubs. They can all stick the arm in because they know people don't expect value when they are treating themselves.

No thats not true, since the recession most of these items have not reduced accordingly.
    Supermarkets have reduced or have more offers that ever before yet pubs, takeawys etc are still priced highly.
    I can't understand why the pubs cannot reduce their prices especially when so many are going out of business. Can they not be more competitve to get people back into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I live close to the border, everything on the Southern side has been more expensive for years. I recently bought sandwiches from a service station in Strabane that were made by a company in Donegal, they were £1.99... if you were to buy them in Donegal 500 metres away, they are €3.49. You can get 3 Guiness for £8 in Strabane pubs. And I know all about Dublin prices, I lived there long enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

91011 wrote: »
    What nearly everyone who compares usa price with irish prices forgets is taxes & duties.

Sales tax in USA is applied at till - so $100 = $110 (av 10% sales tax) - vat is 21% here

Also duty on clothing in europe can be up to 14%

Yes there's still a price difference but ex tax / duty price in USA is about €83 and ex tax price in Ireland is about €108

maybe live in the USA and avail of lower prices - but remember average $13000 health insurance, 1% property tax, state (av. 10%) & federal (up to 35%) income taxes. - The grass is not greener elsewhere

The grass is not greener elsewhere, maybe , but their is always apologists for the rip off culture that perpetrates through most business in this country and they are first to moan ie pubs , tourists are heartily sick of the overcharging here and are voting with their feet by going elsewhere , it will take at least 10 years of depression for Ireland to cleanse itself of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

danbohan wrote: »
    The grass is not greener elsewhere, maybe , but their is always apologists for the rip off culture that perpetrates through most business in this country and they are first to moan ie pubs , tourists are heartily sick of the overcharging here and are voting with their feet by going elsewhere , it will take at least 10 years of depression for Ireland to cleanse itself of this

Tourists have been getting ripped off here for umpteen decades, which is why a lot of them don't bother their arses coming here anymore. People from mainland Europe have no incentive whatsoever to come here, when they can travel all over Europe, and not have to pay for rip-off ferry crossings for the privilege of visiting Ireland.

Any town having a festival of any description, is an excuse for prices in the vicinity to sky-rocket while the event is on.

In the end, they just cut their own throats and screw it up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

danbohan wrote: »

personally i wouldnt be an apologist for rip offs other than in my field where I might be in a position to enlighten someone who would accuse my sector of a rip off, however just because it goes on in my sector doesnt mean I'm doing it too.

Nor would I be an apologist where I can honestly and clearly state that such and such is a rip off if claimed by someone.

One of the issues I see is in the larger towns and especially cities where there is greater choice there is less competition becuase if one outlet from any walk of life can charges €x so will I. However in small towns and villages there are more localised offers where you might only have one competitor who will under price you for the business.(it does happen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Misterfog before you get all miserable consider your wage/benefits compared to someone in USA/NI/Eastern Europe etc and ask yourself this, would you be willing to take a drop in wages/benefits to their level so you can have cheaper goods?. In Ireland we get free education, higer wages, better benefits etc. It would be great to have the best of both worlds but to pay less we may have to accept being paid less.

I just had a look at the minimum wage rates for US and here, in the US it is $7.25, here it is €8.65 ($10.81 by todays exchange rate and a couple of months ago it would have been closer to $14).

Advertisement