Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey im just studying for english ( cant believe its 3 days away :eek: ) and i was just wondering for paper 2 whats the timing for the paper, how much time should i spend on each question? I really messed up timing in the mocks and had to leave out the unseen poetry so i dont want it to happen in the real thing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

MagsK93 wrote: »
    Hey im just studying for english ( cant believe its 3 days away :eek: ) and i was just wondering for paper 2 whats the timing for the paper, how much time should i spend on each question? I really messed up timing in the mocks and had to leave out the unseen poetry so i dont want it to happen in the real thing!

it is scarily close alright....

they say 15 mins to read the paper and choose your questions.

55mins for the Single text (lear).

65 mins comparative.

65mins for poetry. (15mind for unseen and 50 mins for studied poetry)

i personally would cut my rescribed poetry down to 45 and use it on the unseen i dont think 15 mins is enough.)

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yeh I did the unseen poem in the mocks in about 5 minutes.
    Was a really awful experience :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

In the marking scheme for unseen it basically says "the answers will be really short, go with this". So yeah. Personally trying to write out a poetry essay in 45 minutes is impossible!! It literally doesn't give you any time to think about what you're saying, you just have to WRITE WRITE WRITE!! But I try and get my comparative/essay stuff done first cos it's learned off and you just need to write it out, this leaves more time for the Lear question which is way harder for me...it requires making things up on the spot :P

I think 15 mins for reading the paper is a lot... I know you need to think carefully about what Qs to pick but it's not like paper 1 where there's a lot of text to read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

basically paper 2 is a mark per minute! so the unseen poetry is 20 marks.. so give it 20 minutes, single text is 60 marks, so 60 minutes etc..
    It really wouldn't take 15 minutes to choose your questions on paper 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

zam wrote: »
    In the marking scheme for unseen it basically says "the answers will be really short, go with this". So yeah. Personally trying to write out a poetry essay in 45 minutes is impossible!! It literally doesn't give you any time to think about what you're saying, you just have to WRITE WRITE WRITE!! But I try and get my comparative/essay stuff done first cos it's learned off and you just need to write it out, this leaves more time for the Lear question which is way harder for me...it requires making things up on the spot :P

Don't mean to scare you but at this stage you shouldn't have to think about what your writting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

DGRulz wrote: »
    Don't mean to scare you but at this stage you shouldn't have to think about what your writting.
    Course you do, it depends what questions come up, as you have to keep referring to it and make relevant points about it. So you kind of need to think about what points you're going to say etc.

I agree aswell Lear probably takes the most time.

Not thinking when you're writing means you probably won't be making a coherent argument o.O How can you possibly think about developing your points, linking to the q, quoting etc if you're on autodrive and churning out all you know about the poetry of W.B Yeats...?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Not thinking when you're writing means you probably won't be making a coherent argument o.O How can you possibly think about developing your points, linking to the q, quoting etc if you're on autodrive and churning out all you know about the poetry of W.B Yeats...?

I was high for my LC last year and came out with a B3...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Clearly you don’t .. I'm sorry :L..
    But seriously, you definitely need to think about what your write or else your answer will just be completely generalized, you won't answer the question and you'll lose marks under P and C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

Okey doke thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Ok clearly no one hear understands what I mean. When I say you shouldn't be thinking, I mean that you shouldn' be sitting in the exam and think 'oh I never realised that before' of coarse you need to think, but you should still know your stuff and be able to rhyme it off. My mate did 8 pages (7 poems) on Lonley in a an hour the other day, purely from learning off material, but he's pure A grade. When I started to do likewise my grade got higher and higher. :P

Advertisement