Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on plastering?

• 06-06-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Need to get a plasterer in do smarten up some old walls. Can any tell me what to look for when gauging a good plasterer from a poor one when getting quotes?

The walls in question are interior, painted walls and a ceiling with a few sagging sections that will need removing and re=doing.

I also assume you cannot just plaster over painted plaster?

Alos 1 radiotor will need to come off the wall first, can I expect the plasterer to do this or must I get a plumber for this part?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Need to get a plasterer in do smarten up some old walls. Can any tell me what to look for when gauging a good plasterer from a poor one when getting quotes?

You cant really. Price isnt an indicator, neither is amount of work done. You need to get a refrence from somone that got work done. Perhaps a friend of yours has work done
    The walls in question are interior, painted walls and a ceiling with a few sagging sections that will need removing and re=doing.

I also assume you cannot just plaster over painted plaster?

Sagging ceilings are due to the plasterboard being poorly fixed or perhaps theres a traped wire between the board and the joist

You can plaster over painted walls but they need to be primed with pva

Alos 1 radiotor will need to come off the wall first, can I expect the plasterer to do this or must I get a plumber for this part?

Many thanks.

Get a plumber, when the rad is taken off, and then put back, the system will get airlocked, its normally simple enough to solve but also the connections want to be resealed with boss white etc and will need new olives, so i doubt a plasterer is going to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Many thanks, great advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

snyper wrote: »
    You cant really. Price isnt an indicator, neither is amount of work done. You need to get a refrence from somone that got work done. Perhaps a friend of yours has work done

Sagging ceilings are due to the plasterboard being poorly fixed or perhaps theres a traped wire between the board and the joist

You can plaster over painted walls but they need to be primed with pva

Get a plumber, when the rad is taken off, and then put back, the system will get airlocked, its normally simple enough to solve but also the connections want to be resealed with boss white etc and will need new olives, so i doubt a plasterer is going to do this

Why would you need to replace the compression olives if you're just taking off and putting back on a rad? You'd have to cut them off the pipes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why would you need to replace the compression olives if you're just taking off and putting back on a rad? You'd have to cut them off the pipes

You're correct you may not, ive come on an odd situation now and again where you would, but in alot of cases some boss over the old olive will do fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Good plasterers all have arms like steel wire from skimmin ceilings -ask him for an arm wrestle, if it feels like trying to beat Arnie, he's good. Never pick a fight with a plasterer, always reckoned that. Or a blockie, or a scaffolder. Also, a good plasterer will have bits of plaster stuck to him, but no big blobs. The blobs show you he's a "one for the wall, one for the floor" type.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement