Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Indian PC Doctors phone calls

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been receiving phone calls from an Indian call center claiming to be Microsoft Indian PC doctors, a complete scam but I think a lot of people are getting caught and handing over a lot of money.

The calls came from 00194766321760 and they are persistent hard to understand buggers!:mad:

Pass it on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been getting a lot of these phone calls but had read about this crowd before I got the first call.

I've taken a number of different approaches from blowing a whistle down the line, to saying I don't have a PC but my favourite was playing the petulent child approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

PCs eh? They've come a long way since smoke signals...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

With the phenomenally bad reputation Indian technical support has, its amazing they'd even try a scam like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I discovered if you say the word Ubuntu they get very very confused :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

deisemum wrote: »
    I've been getting a lot of these phone calls but had read about this crowd before I got the first call.

I've taken a number of different approaches from blowing a whistle down the line, to saying I don't have a PC but my favourite was playing the petulent child approach.

You have to give us the script for that, go on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

racram wrote: »
    The calls came from 00194766321760

001 947 is somewhere near Detroit!

My wife answered a call from these guys yesterday and just told them no thanks, we're OK.

I hope they call again. I'll string them along and p155 them off no end!

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    You have to give us the script for that, go on!

Ah I just went along with them and when asked if I had a pc I said yeah and when he got to the "will you switch on your pc and log on" I just said no then was asked why did I not want to log on I just said because I don't want to and when asked why don't I want to I just said because and when asked why for a second time I just because ye're scammers and to sod off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

We had the same people call us earlier this week, they kept on ringing too. For some odd reason they wouldn't talk to myself or my mother, but when my brother answered the phone, they would.
    001 947 is somewhere near Detroit!

My wife answered a call from these guys yesterday and just told them no thanks, we're OK.

I hope they call again. I'll string them along and p155 them off no end!

I have an Indianapolis number thanks to Google Voice. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Google Voice or some other similar service for the US number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I've received these calls a few times too, but just now answer and remain totally silent except for some heavy breathing.......

What exactly is the scam they're trying to pull anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I've received these calls a few times too, but just now answer and remain totally silent except for some heavy breathing.......

I assume theyre trying to get you go to an infected website so they can install keyloggers & sh!t on your PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Ask them for their phone number so you can call them back when they are busy.....whenever I get calls like that I ask what time they have their dinner so I can be sure to call then!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Don't know what this particular scam is but the girlfriend got a call on her house phone from an Indian "agent for Microsoft" telling her that she downloaded an illegal version of Windows and that he wanted her computer details so they could register the copy and charge her credit card -- which she was going to be presumably asked for. She handed me the phone and I told him we had a Mac and he hung up without responding.

So like Chin said earlier mention Ubuntu / any non Windows OS and they will just leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

I just ask them hold a second that there is someone at the door and just leave them hanging on the phone they normally hangup and I dont get calls again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

frodos63 wrote: »
    I just ask them hold a second that there is someone at the door and just leave them hanging on the phone they normally hangup and I dont get calls again

That's what I've done in the past. Just leave them hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

The mother of a friend of mine actually paid these dudes <facepalm-smiley>.

They took the money via paypal and got her to install a very simple VNC style client with some added bonuses - it takes all control away from the machine. You can still browse the net, open documents etc, but you can't change any settings or disconnect from the internet.

My solution - FORMAT - followed by changing passwords on everything online AND getting a new credit card.

I seriously hope these dudes ring me, I'll try to reverse scam them somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Whatever happened to the old-fashioned technique used for nuisance-callers and perverts? You know, blow a whistle down the phone at them.

Took me three months before I could listen in stereo again!

gscully wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the old-fashioned technique used for nuisance-callers and perverts? You know, blow a whistle down the phone at them.

Took me three months before I could listen in stereo again!

ROFPMSL :D:D:D

I used to work for BT in London. As it was free to phone BT we had about 10 - 12 regular pervs that would phone in with the usual what colour knickers are you wearing etc. However the staff used to put them on loud speaker and give them a run for their money with some of the pervy comments they'd say back.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

what i do when phoned by any call center, just keep asking them questions like, you know my name what yours?, what the weather like in you country?,what the price of bread where you live? etc??,they are expected to grab your attention and try and make the sale as Quickly as possible so if you keep them taking their boss will whip their donkey for wasting time on you.This also work out for you for your number is put down as a waste of time ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

1971 wrote: »
    what i do when phoned by any call center, just keep asking them questions like, you know my name what yours?, what the weather like in you country?,what the price of bread where you live? etc??,they are expected to grab your attention and try and make the sale as Quickly as possible so if you keep them taking their boss will whip their donkey for wasting time on you.This also work out for you for your number is put down as a waste of time ringing.

Oh I'll have to try this next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

A person told me that when the call center ring his house , all he says to the caller is : both Sir and Madam are on official holidays and will not return home for approx 6 weeks.This will live your call center caller silent for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

frodos63 wrote: »

I think the best response to any harassing call is the silent treatment. If you hang up you are being active. However if you keep them on the line they are being charged, and eventually they will give up. They will also be less inclined to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shinto29

Ha Ha i kept sayin I DONT RUN WINDOWS I RUN UBUNTU 10.04 LUCID LYNX DESKTOP EDITION!!!!.They hung up:D

deisemum wrote: »
    ROFPMSL :D:D:D

I used to work for BT in London. As it was free to phone BT we had about 10 - 12 regular pervs that would phone in with the usual what colour knickers are you wearing etc. However the staff used to put them on loud speaker and give them a run for their money with some of the pervy comments they'd say back.

LOL i got that before,i said ''Get a Life''

eightyfish wrote: »

WE CAUGHT THE GUY!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

The words "Fcuk" and "Off" leap to mind.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

just say you have someone in the house who looks after the pcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Why say anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I just started saying random words in Irish and he kept saying he didn't understand me until he hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

Yer man told me he has a record of my Windows System and it needed to be
    upgraded. I told him to look again as I use Linux he hung up. Another guy rang
    me from Northern Ireland looking for donations for Concern and gave me an
    unmerciful rant about poor children in Africa, i asked him what percentage of the
    donation his company gets, amazingly, he hung up too.......................

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement