Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the Better Way to Get to University?

• 06-06-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

FETAC or repeating the Leaving Cert? I'm, 90% certain that I'm not going to get the course I want to do, so I was wondering which route would be better. Both would take a year, and while I would be more familiar with the Leaving Cert and know what is required of me, perhaps doing a more interesting FETAC course would be an easier route. There are many interesting FETAC courses like European Studies, but I'm not sure. :/ Did you repeat the Leaving Cert? What was it like? Do you think there were other, better options in retrospect etc?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Comments

What do you want to do in university ? Any similar courses in Institutes of Technology an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

RoverJames wrote: »
    What do you want to do in university ? Any similar courses in Institutes of Technology an option ?

Here's the course I want to study: http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/sefs/foodpolicy/

The points will be somewhere around 400 this year and I don't hope to get that unfortunately. It is quite a unique course and I haven't found much else related to it with lower points.

Repeat the leaving if you can afford it I suppose, or if your folks can .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think the max points you get for the fetac is 400. If so it would be a bit of a gamble trying to get all distinctions, but you would be much better able to get 400/600 in the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 3rocksigns

Depends on what you wanna do in college,If i knew this i could help you out a bit more:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

This course was 355 last year and it didnt go up from the year before..

I dont think that it will jump 45 points! Stay positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

brian1991 wrote: »

Here's the course I want to study: http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/sefs/foodpolicy/

The points will be somewhere around 400 this year and I don't hope to get that unfortunately. It is quite a unique course and I haven't found much else related to it with lower points.

thats my number one too!! ughhhh..... gonna be rough :( emm u could do something in stiofan naofa... assuming you are from cork too..its out sorta by woodies.. lol.. tramore road like!!

-FETAC level 5, 1 year in applied biology, food, health and nutrition
    -FETAC level 5. 1 year in human health science &health promotion

you could always take a look at college of comm. and st john's too, theres really loads of options out there. if i fail maths(which is possible) id never repeat the lc!!! much rather have a bit of fun and learn something new!!

hope this helped!!

Advertisement