Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban fox with mange - help!

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

We have had a fox visiting our garden nightly since we moved in last year and have been feeding it. Recently it has been showing signs of mange. At first I thought it was just losing its winter coat but now it has started appearing in daylight and it is definitely mange. Its appetite is growing daily, probably due to internal parasites. It has been wreaking havoc with our garden wildlife and now our 2 hedgehogs have disappeared, including one we over-wintered:(.

Has anyone tried treating a wild fox for mange and can you offer me any advice? Would a local vet have an over the counter remedy that I can spike its food with? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would contact your vet & ask them.
    My two dogs picked up fox mange (so we think) before Christmas, took 3 bathing sessions in the vets and over €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There's a huge amount of info here:

http://www.nfws.org.uk/mange/index.htm

I would suggest contacting them & also Tiggywinkles:

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

The NFWS will send out treatments to the UK so they might help. The fox really needs to be trapped, treated & released. Have you searched to see if their is anyone locally who might be able to help ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Mange is a really awful disease and the animal can and will tear itself to pieces scratching. One of our dogs got it once and it took ages and lots and lots of treatments to cure it.

If it is to be treated, the fox, as mentioned in a previous post, will have to be captured and treated by a vet. Some of the links posted above would be the best places to go first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thanks for the replies. Have sourced a mange medication that can be put in the foxes food and got a wormer from the local vet. Hopefully it will be cured and stick to munching rats and mice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well done !. Remember that it made need several treatments to kill un-hatched eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Thanks for the replies. Have sourced a mange medication that can be put in the foxes food and got a wormer from the local vet. Hopefully it will be cured and stick to munching rats and mice.
    You will need to repeat treatment in 11 days. Most antimange drugs ie ivermectin will kill only adult mange mites. So a repeat dose in 11 days is necessary. Hope it goes well.

Advertisement