Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/2 Marathon Help!!

• 06-06-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    I have recently started to run and so far I am loving it. I had no real intention to take up running but a friend of mine who regular does 10km races ect injured himself before the Great Ireland Run so I took his place instead.
    I completed the race in 64mins after 2 weeks "training" and it was the longest I had ever ran.

So here it is, two months later and I'm beginning to love running and I'm planning on doing the Half Marathon in Sept in the Phoenix Park.
    I am trying to squeeze in 3 x5km and a 10k per week. Everything is going ok but my pace is terrible. My last 10k took me 1.13 it seems that my pace is getting slower.

I suppose half the point of starting this thread is to focus as I eat and drink crap and I know this is really not helping. Hopefully with the help of you guys I can cut out these habits, improve my times, lose some weight and get fitter

Here are my stats:-

Sex: Male
    Weight: 185

I'd like to get my weight down by 14lb by the end of the summer and get my times for 10km under 60mins

I'm planning of doing a 10km tomorrow

Any advice guys??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hi. I'm a bit of a novice runner myself, but the best advice I got was to use a plan. Hal Higdon works well for most of us newbies...

Best of luck with it!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    Hal Higdon works well for most of us newbies...
    Would have to agree, the novice or intermediate plans will give a good base for it. If you're comfortably doing 3x 5k runs during the week and a 10km long run now, 3 months out from the race, you'll be fine as long as you train properly for it. Don't worry about pace right now, that will come with training.

For an extra bit of motivation along the way, it would be well worthwhile entering the other two races in the race series as well (5 mile and 10 mile), worth it if even just for the t-shirts :D

Also, make sure you've got the right shoes - a trip to the running shop may be in order if you haven't been properly fitted.

Advertisement