Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for the supporters of Sporting Fingal FC to discuss their club & associated activities from a local & community perspective (eg, general fan banter, travel plans to away games, etc.).

Any topics relating to the 'serious' side of Sporting Fingal FC should be raised & discussed in the Soccer forum & are subject to that forum's rules. This applies to SFFC supporters & other club supporters alike.

Trolling by non-SFFC supporters will not be tolerated.

This thread will be heavily moderated to ensure compliance to the 'local & community' focus mentioned above.

If you have issues with a post - use the Report Post button (report.gif) & leave it to a Moderator to deal with. Back-seat modding will lead to an infraction & possibly a ban.

The general forum rules & guidelines as described in the DCN Charter also apply to this thread. All posters should ensure that they read & understand the charter before they post here.

If you are unsure of any of the above - send a PM to Beasty or Hill Billy.

All that said, enjoy the thread & best of luck to Sporting Fingal FC & the supporters in the coming season.

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

This could be a quiet thread for a short while, due to the break. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hope that it is quiet in terms of troublesome posts for a long while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well before our next home game there will be a little distraction on the 21st of June when the draw for the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League will take place. Olympiacos, Besiktas, Maritimo, Brondby and Motherwell are some of the more recognisable names we could face.

1st leg is on 15th July and the 2nd leg will be on 22nd July.

Should we manage to progress then Liverpool and Juventus are two of the teams that could be awaiting us in the next round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

dsmythy wrote: »
    Well before our next home game there will be a little distraction on the 21st of June when the draw for the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League will take place. Olympiacos, Besiktas, Maritimo, Brondby and Motherwell are some of the more recognisable names we could face.

Should we manage to progress then Liverpool and Juventus are two of the teams that could be awaiting us in the next round!

At least there will be something to look forward to when there isnt much football.

Does anybody know if the FAI cup replay against Mervue will be played before or after the mid season break?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

I wouldn't have thought it was before it. Dundalk away tomorrow night and then I think its the break. Am I right in thinkin that?

• Advertisement

On another note. Would there be any interest in running a bus to games that would pick fans up in the various main towns of fingal. The lads from swords use to run one just from swords but it seems there is no longer an interest in this. But maybe if one was organised to run from Balbrigan through Skerries, Rush, Lusk and Swords there might be enough interest. Plus it would be another way of helping to promote the club. If people see fans waiting for a bus with their jerseys on plus maybe the bus could have a supporters flag on the back window also, it could help to generate some more interest.

The Fingal bus is coming and everybody running:)

OK maybe not as corny:D

ViperGTS wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought it was before it. Dundalk away tomorrow night and then I think its the break. Am I right in thinkin that?

Yeah, I think your right. I just read from one or two other posters that replays where to be played this week but that would clash with league fixtures.

Has anyone got any serious interest in going to the away leg of the Europa decider? I can honestly see it being a small minority that do.

Has anyone got any serious interest in going to the away leg of the Europa decider? I can honestly see it being a small minority that do.

I guess it will depend on who and where we get. I will be going if possible, depends on my money situation though and how expensive trip will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

Oh this place looks nice, a lot newer looking than our old place. And is it my imagination or is it a little bigger...
    So we should all agree to keep this place clean, and that means things have to change.
    PaulW Don't be leaving your camera equipment lying all across the mantlepiece and then giving out to the rest of us when it ends up going missing.
    Viper If I trip over that bleeding drum of yours one more time it's getting turfed out into the back garden.
    Rockee Seriously pal with all these draws...look new place no bad Karma.
    Johnnie As of next monday it's back to school with you and your learning how to spell so as you don't get into so much trouble from here on in.
    Pineapple Stu Mate i love ya, but the jokes are going to have to improve.
    Lamper My dear Lamper, where to start with ya, I swear if ya leave the toilet un-flushed once more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

If we beat Mervue a home time awaits Limerick in the cup....

Happy with that.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    If we beat Mervue a home time awaits Limerick in the cup....

IF.

A home draw again would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

dsmythy wrote: »

ill post this again,
    this is in order of seeding;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifying_round

Olympiacos
    Beşiktaş
    Dinamo Bucureşti or Rapid Bucureşti (depends on TAS's decision concerning the match Rapid-FC Timisoara: 1-0 on the court but 0-3 because Rapid used 2 players illegally)

Levski Sofia
    Austria Wien
    Winners of match involving Anorthosis
    Brøndby (denmark)
    Rapid Wien
    APOEL
    Wisła Kraków
    Karpaty Lviv (ukraine)
    Marítimo (portugal, nice island place)
    Baník Ostrava (czech republic)
    IF Elfsborg
    Utrecht
    Winners of match involving Randers (denmark)
    Motherwell
    Winners of match involving Kalmar FF (sweeden)
    Lausanne-Sport (switzerland)
    Cercle Brugge
    Winners of match involving Bnei Yehuda (israel now wudnt that b fun)
    Stabæk (norway)
    Ventspils (latvia)
    Molde (norway)
    Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Dukla Banská Bystrica (slovakia)
    Winners of match involving Nitra (slovakia)
    Winners of match involving Rabotnički (macedonia)
    Honka (finland)
    Winners of match involving MYPA (finland)
    Maribor (slovenia)
    Winners of match involving Gefle ç (sweeden)
    Dinamo Minsk
    OFK Beograd
    Spartak Zlatibor Voda (serbia)
    Winners of match involving Zrinjski (bosnia)
    Baku (azerbajan)
    Winners of match involving Qarabağ (azerbajan)
    Winners of match involving Ruch Chorzów (poland)
    Cibalia (croatia)

all of these teams are a good bit above us as an irish team in terms of ranking, realistically we wouldnt be favourites even at home except for the bottom teams (or if a flukey team gets through from the previous round). Some of them might be quite hard to get to and others will obviously be quite tough especially away from home.

That said on top form, with a bit of luck we could/should probably take any of them (motherwell anybody...?). note that near the top in terms of seedings is an austrian team, bohs were unlucky to lose to salzburg who again were champions and did very well last year in tthe europa league. Derry only lost by a goal on aggregate to sofia last year and look at the situation they wre in. st pats also beat elfsborg 2 years ago (elfsborg last year beat the portugese team). the top 3 there tho would probably be nightmares.

Ive been looking forward to an away trip for months, rounding up my brothers to come is harder than expected though....was at the bohs salzburg game in salzburg last year and it was brilliant atmosphere....
    So hope its an easy enough to get to kind of place.

Great away win tonight against Dundalk. Keeps the table interesting.

Just concerned about another sending off.

Paulw wrote: »
    Great away win tonight against Dundalk. Keeps the table interesting.

Just concerned about another sending off.

Dundalk FM said it was a very harsh decision.... We all know about the refereeing standard is this league by this stage.

Another great win and another goal for Finn....Great stuff half way into the season.

Don't know where the ref got the sending off decision from. He was terrible beyond belief tonight. About 10 mins late and I missed the 1st 2 goals haha. Glen Crowe's flick for the winner was sublime. 2nd on goal difference, would have taken that position at the break from the start hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

Great result, Finn and Williams on the score sheet, nice. And as Viper posted, 2nd from top half way through with a game in hand sweet. I know it's gonna get tougher from here on in with the games coming thick and fast, but going into the break in this position was not what i expected at the beginning of the season so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

2nd half performance last night was spot on . Lads deserved the win . Dundalk played well 1st half but when they tired 2nd half our midfield took over. Another good goal from Ronan Finn and a super flick from Glen Crowe . Ronan is a real plus for us this season . To me what what Ger O'Brien was sent off for was only a tangle of legs and wasn't even a free kick .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I'll be going no matter where it is ;) I got my shots last year so i should be still vacctinated in case its in a dodgey area and i dont mean Dundalk :)

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dfctv.asp

Highlights of the Dundalk game...

Might aswell have a gander since MNS isn't back for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 derekobrien

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dfctv.asp

Highlights of the Dundalk game...

Might aswell have a gander since MNS isn't back for a few weeks.

What are people's thoughts on the highlights? We're getting into a habit of giving away soft goals. Clarke hasn't been great the last couple of weeks (Mervue and Dundalk). Could he of done better for the Dundalk goal? Granted it should never of got that far seeing as Finn should of put his foot through the ball and cleared it instead of trying to be clever and run it out.

Anyways, 2nd in the table. Would've jumped at that a the start of season. Roll on UCD, and the European adventure. Not to mention the retention of our trophy.

Viva la Ravens

What are people's thoughts on the highlights? We're getting into a habit of giving away soft goals. Clarke hasn't been great the last couple of weeks (Mervue and Dundalk). Could he of done better for the Dundalk goal? Granted it should never of got that far seeing as Finn should of put his foot through the ball and cleared it instead of trying to be clever and run it out.

Anyways, 2nd in the table. Would've jumped at that a the start of season. Roll on UCD, and the European adventure. Not to mention the retention of our trophy.

Viva la Ravens

Id agree that clarke hasnt looked quite as good as he did at the beginning of the season but its only two games and he did pull off some very good saves in those games aswell. Its hard to say whether he could be blamed for the dundalk equaliser. He was caught off his line but some of that was down to the fact we lost the ball when it should have been cleared, plus it was an inch perfect lob.
    I think id rather say it was a great strike rather than a mistake from clarky;)

I tend to disregard a lot of what happens on that Dundalk pitch. Players tend to be more conservative, and not tackle as much, due to the surface.

In fairness, look at the thread here - some people complaining about Quigley and now complaints about Clarke. You can't please some people. :rolleyes:

The boys are back to training tomorrow after their break, in preparation for their next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

Just got confirmation from the FAI that our scheduled match against Sligo Rovers is being switched from Tuesday 6th July to Monday 5th.

Why?

Why?

The World Cup Semi-Finals is on the 6th...There is nothing on the 5th.

Makes sense to change it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The World Cup Semi-Finals is on the 6th...There is nothing on the 5th.

Makes sense to change it in fairness.

Cheers, that was nice of them :)

• Advertisement

Rockee wrote: »

Ye, i will be going. Its a good shout on the clubs behalf to do it now and i urge all supporters to try their hardest to attend .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement