Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Zayeds article

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3919/

Also a shout out from Zayed, for the fans to come out in force on thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

The reason he is overweight, has lost that bit of pace and ran out of steam after 60 mins is down to his age imo, hence why he is not ideal for the role (not his fault).
    Iv been delighted with Crowes contribution in the last 2 months or so from what iv seen and reports from other fans. The guy was never brought in to be our main striker and unfortunately he has been put in a role (lone striker) that doesnt suit him or his style of play. I do still think the guy will play a big factor in anything good that happens to our club, whether that be in the dressing room or on the pitch.

Fair enough Lamper. The fact that Crowey and I are 4 days apart probably has something to do with my viewpoint!

I think you are right on his role at the club at the moment. He's better feeding the man upfront rather than being the man up front. Fingers crossed O'Neill will be back soon, as Paul mentioned (and I spoke to him last week) he won't be back for tomorrow night.

Pity about O Neil. I didnt really think he would make it and to throw him in if he was fit after all this time might have been a gamble anyway. I just hope he is back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Your always on your own :p

so i noticed :o

Just kidding buddy.
    Fair enough points but at the moment we are falling behind the top 3 not just the top. I will feel a successful season (league wise) would be to finish in the top 3. (I really want European football again next year:))

w
    e have it now :p

At the beginning of the season I thought a mid-table finish would have been a good league position but after seeing all the teams up close now and most twice or more, there really hasnt been much to fear. In a lot of cases we should have had more points on the board if we had just gone for the win instead of sitting back on 1 goal leads. Iv lost count of the games we have gone 1 up in and then been pegged back. Actually there are very few games where we have actually gone behind in. Bohs 3 times (gits), Shams once and im not sure who else off the top of my head. (Im sure someone will let me know)
    Point being that we should actually be a few points futher up the table than we are and then the Drogs loss might not have been as big an issue as it was.

Roll on thursday :D

cant wait:D

Looks like a few of us will be heading for pints tomorrow before the match. Whatever pub that suits before the game. Hopefully we will see others there.:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Good luck for the game tomorrow, lads.
    Would be great to see ye beat a Portugese team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For those not on Facebook -

From Joe Corr-

"Just heard that vuvuzelas are banned from Dalymount. Don't bring them with you tonight in case they're confiscated. Drums are fine!"

Really looking forward to the game. This cold, windy and wet weather won't suit Maritimo, but then again, doesn't suit Fingal football either.

Hopefully there will be great home support, with plenty of drum and singing.

2-1 to Fingal is my desired result. 1-0 to Fingal at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CSMaritimo

Hi every1. In the Portuguese press, they say the stadium is very poor in conditions to host an European game. Is it true?

They say it's really bad.

Many League of Ireland stadia are in fairly poor condition, due to age, compared to larger European team venues. The newest venue (Tallaght) is a wonderful stadium though.

Dalymount is old, mostly built in the 1940s, but with a new stand and seating added in 1999.

There is not much money in the league to build new venues, unfortunately.

CSMaritimo wrote: »
    Hi every1. In the Portuguese press, they say the stadium is very poor in conditions to host an European game. Is it true?

They say it's really bad.

For the most part thats true but the main stand is fine and thats where everybody will be. Like said above our facilities are not the best unfortunately and very little money around the game to improve them. We are a very small league compared to a lot of European leagues.

dublin_dalymount1.jpg

The bottom link is the stand where everybody will be. Which is on the left side of the above picture.

http://img152.imageshack.us/i/20060831sligobohs0021yh2.jpg/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

This is it boys heading out for a pint then the bus, then a few pints then hopefully a great game. First of what i hope to be many games in Europe. See ya's there

I love pints hahaa

Thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Off to get a few in then bus to match. See you lot there.

Come on Fingal!!!

Finn to score the winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Best of luck lads. Just don't concede early and you never know what might develop!

Any1 knows a stream where we can watch the game? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jaysus hard luck, no shame in losing 3-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Absolutely great effort lads. You gave it a real go. Chances at either end by the sound of it but you more than held your own against a team that probably expected to steamroller you.

Excellent performance and obviously your lads fought hard and grafted and battled unlike some I could mention in recent days.

Well done

Very disappointed, and the whole team were disappointed in the result. But, they did us proud. 3-2 (in each game) is not a poor result at all.

I'm very proud of the lads, and look forward to the game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sporting60s

hard luck,but a big well done,not only to the team on the pitch,the team off the pitch[club officals/security,etc,etc]and the fans,i thought were all excellent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

firstly its a loss, but a 3-2 (6-4 agg) is better than a 4-0 (2 goals in dalymount is more than bohs got against welshe opposition lol) or a 2-0 (8-0 agg).

secondly it was a spirited game, and the last 10 minutes we played some great football and made a game of it.

thirdly its fairly decent for the clubs first time in europe (also 2000 at daleyer!!)

I felt zayed should have been on sooner...the goals he scored were too late to really change the tie and had we stepped up sooner it could have been different. The disallowed goal was a pity (did anyone see if it really was offside not that it matters) that would have been a good time to get back into it.
    Its a pity we couldnt hold on longer before conceeding. I still felt that they were the better side, not letting us play, bigger threat for first haf or so and we seemed to let them more so....we seemed to be waiting for them to make a mistake and we were making plenty by ourselves....
    Clarke made some good saves but def wasnt a good night for him (the ball bouncing behind him off the crossbar!!)
    I dno if Crowe is up to it, didnt seem in it much at all....
    the fans were great, our heads dropped with the players after 2 nil, when we scored our first, the belief and the excitement came back and we kept singing but an earlier goal would have helped.

their goal in the 95th minute last week and our disallowed goal was probably the biggest tragedies but in fairness dont think we played better than maritimo.

• Advertisement

Firstly its disappointing to go out. Not that Maritimo didnt deserve it, they did. It was obvious who had the better quality. In saying that though we did put it up to them at times and the last 10 mins or so we played really well.

Even after the loss though, I felt proud of the club, The players, staff and fans. I felt we became more of a club tonight and there was a real unity amongst the fans. We never stopped singing no matter what. So well done lads.

Fair play to everyone who supported the club tonight, Fingal fans and LOI fans and congrats to Rovers for keeping the LOI European dream alive.

Pats on sunday anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

I think the players did themselves proud. Terrific football in front of 2150 people at Dalymount. Hopefully, we will get to taste European soccer again soon.

(Still a bit horse myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

Congratulations to the team they were excellent, grit, determination and drive was what they were all about last night. Every single one of them.
    The attitude to never give up no matter what drove us to the two goals, Maritimo's class was there to be seen their forward passing on the counter attack was sublime and congrats to them hope they do well and get into the group stages, but while they had it in buckets with silky passes our teams spirit was amazing and once again well done lads.
    Thanks to all the fans who turned up, great to see the stadium littered with scarfs hats and jersey's and the noise level was pure class.
    Thanks to all Boh's supporters who turned up and the supporters of the League of Ireland it was appreciated.
    And well done to all the players who came back out and signed jerseys and programmes fair dues to Shaun Williams who won man of the match and gave his shirt to one of the younger fans.

I still have a load of photos to go through from last night. Some were taken with the players coming off the pitch at the end. They mostly looked disappointed and down. But, I think that was an unfair reflection on the night and their overall performance.

They were massively outclassed (no disrespect to them) by a full-time professional team who play to a much higher standard in European football.

Fingal played way above their grade, as such, and put in two great performances. One or two simple mistakes cost us on the night.

3-2 to a team of that level?? You'd take that on any day.

It is disappointing we're out so early. There is no other way to put it, but, still ... I think everyone is proud of the team, and we need to let them know that.

Fair play to the lads after the game, stopping to sign jerseys and autograph books. Roll on the league and the next game on Sunday.

News for the game on Sunday -

In squad news, Colin Hawkins has at least another three weeks on the sidelines with broken ribs. Shaun Maher is doubtful because of a hamstring strain but Gary O’Neill may be in contention having resumed full training with the squad this week on the back of two months out with a groin problem.

Paulw wrote: »

In squad news, Colin Hawkins has at least another three weeks on the sidelines with broken ribs. Shaun Maher is doubtful because of a hamstring strain but Gary O’Neill may be in contention having resumed full training with the squad this week on the back of two months out with a groin problem.

We really are having no luck with defenders again this year. Its part of the reason we sometimes concede silly goals. We have never had a settled back four.

On the plus side, its great that O Neil is coming back. We really need him back in the team as he was one of our best performers in the early part of the season.

1st of all, you guys must be really proud of how your team behave in both games. 6-4 agg. is a very good result for Fingal, and a little bad for us, if we compare CSM and Fingal backgrounds, our defense can't take 4 goals like that.

It was a fair match, the referee had nothing to do with the final score, and both teams and fans had a really nice behavior.

Just to finish, I really hope you guys can win the Irish League, and you have another Sp. Fingal fan from Madeira :) Next year, the Europe League will be on your schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Congratulations btw to Shaun Williams, Ger O'Brien and Alan Kirby who have been selected by Damian Richardson to compete in the LOI Select Vs Manchester United game in the Aviva on August 4th.

Very good for the club that 3 of our players are considered to be the elite of our league by Damo.

Yeah, great news about the selection for the LOI select. Damo was there at the Drogheda game, keeping an eye on things, as was Roddy Collins.

Shauny is doing well, with her under 23 callup and now thing, and being made Fingal captain for the last few games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Yeah I saw Roddy Collins ducking out just at the end there. But well done lads...the standard of Maritimo compared to what we come up against week in week out was much higher. You could see that easily with their running off the ball, first touch, pace, and general discipline. We were great though...Zayed can play when he bothers his hole: it's been a while, Eammo! But I suppose he thought he was in the shop window? Let's nail the junkies on Sunday!!!! (Needle? the junkies?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CSMFAN

Hi people,

Just arrived today at Athlone, after 3 great days in Dublin.

First of all congratulations for how you received Maritimo and Maritimo Fans, a very good example from who really does football a big party.

About the game, I guess was a normal result, as I expected, Maritimo looks better comparing with last week, since Maritimo is in pre season, and every day of pre season works will make difference, even if I think stills lot to develop in Maritimo performances, specially the defensive sector.

However, the attitude of Fingal lads was simply brilliant, they never quited, trying to at least have a positive result.

I was particulary impressed with the number of young Fingal fans, thats a great sign for the club future, and if Fingal lost was not because of lack of support by the fans, great atmosphere !!

I really think you all just need to be proud, and Fingal gived a good image of Irish football in the total of the eliminatory.

I just wish football can develop in Ireland in what concerns about conditions, to be honest made me a bit confusion, how Uefa doesnt allow the Maritimo Stadium with 1 active Stand, and allow Dalymount Park, where the wc´s are very poor, the entrance for the stadium etc, and when we think was even the stadium of the actual irish champions, even worse, really hope FAI works more serious to help the irish clubs to have better conditions, and to promote more the sport.

Here I let you some pictures.

A special Thanks for Joe Corr, a great Fingal and simply 5 Star person !

dsc03584gn.jpg

dsc03527b.jpg

dsc03531.jpg

dsc03534e.jpg

dsc03537.jpg

dsc03538.jpg

dsc03539r.jpg

dsc03543k.jpg

dsc03545d.jpg

dsc03547d.jpg

dsc03548q.jpg

dsc03551r.jpg