Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Just out of interest how many would you be expecting Friday? Soccer in this country is very much kept within a small community so not sure what your crowds should be like, but given that it's a local enough team your playing is their a rivalry?

P.S Very unlucky in Europe, Eamon Zayed took his goals very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

justshane wrote: »
    Just out of interest how many would you be expecting Friday? Soccer in this country is very much kept within a small community so not sure what your crowds should be like, but given that it's a local enough team your playing is their a rivalry?

P.S Very unlucky in Europe, Eamon Zayed took his goals very well.

I dont think there is much of a rivalry yet between the two teams. These type of things develope over time and usually happen due to certain circumstances that happen during a season or Geography to name two. Our main rivalry and basic hatred would be Shels (they started it:)) After that, there isnt much love for Sligo due to us beating them last year and some of them still bitter over what was clearly a penalty. Move on lads:p

As for what crowd we would be expecting, well it s hard to say. If I was to guess Id say between 600 to 700 home, hopefully. As said previously it been a while since a friday game so it might add a few more bums to seats.

Im looking forward to the game. I was up in Dundalk for our last meeting and I thought it was a great game won by a brilliant goal from us. That said, Dundalk where unlucky on the night and a draw would have been a fair result.

Can we expect the usually good away support from Dundalk or has the recent bad results reduced the travelling support?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I dont think there is much of a rivalry yet between the two teams. These type of things develope over time and usually happen due to certain circumstances that happen during a season or Geography to name two. Our main rivalry and basic hatred would be Shels (they started it) After that, there isnt much love for Sligo due to us beating them last year and some of them still bitter over what was clearly a penalty. Move on lads

As for what crowd we would be expecting, well it s hard to say. If I was to guess Id say between 600 to 700 home, hopefully. As said previously it been a while since a friday game so it might add a few more bums to seats.

Im looking forward to the game. I was up in Dundalk for our last meeting and I thought it was a great game won by a brilliant goal from us. That said, Dundalk where unlucky on the night and a draw would have been a fair result.

Can we expect the usually good away support from Dundalk or has the recent bad results reduced the travelling support?

Not to bad for a team starting off, beats Kildare, Kilkenny, Dub City an the likes! Sligo fans do tend to hold grudges, seemed to hate Dundalk last yr due to Sean Connor taken over!ha

As for the away support, to be honest i would'nt really know, im a fan alight but from the Midlands so not to sure what they would be expecting maybe 200?! I was at a game their when we both occupied the dreaded graveyard, finished 0-0, hard to get an atmosphere going in such a open space. I think if ye score first you'll win comfortably.

justshane wrote: »
    Not to bad for a team starting off, beats Kildare, Kilkenny, Dub City an the likes! Sligo fans do tend to hold grudges, seemed to hate Dundalk last yr due to Sean Connor taken over!ha

As for the away support, to be honest i would'nt really know, im a fan alight but from the Midlands so not to sure what they would be expecting maybe 200?! I was at a game their when we both occupied the dreaded graveyard, finished 0-0, hard to get an atmosphere going in such a open space. I think if ye score first you'll win comfortably.

Agree about Morton. Not really a football stadium at all. The quicker we are out of there the better. God damn recession holding up the building of the new ground in Lusk.:mad: Plus shels will need a new ground soon so we will be only happy to let them have it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just FYI -

There will be a LIMITED number of our Europa League 2010 jerseys on sale from the Club Shop this Friday. Make sure to get yours before they sell out!

I must say, I do like the look/design of the Europa League jersey. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Paulw wrote: »
    Just FYI -

There will be a LIMITED number of our Europa League 2010 jerseys on sale from the Club Shop this Friday. Make sure to get yours before they sell out!

I must say, I do like the look/design of the Europa League jersey. :D

Thats great, thanks for letting us know Paul.

Preview of tonights FAI Cup replay game against Mervue

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12359/0/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Wont be able to go to the game in work tonight, Damn =[

We really should have far too much for them tonight though.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    We really should have far too much for them tonight though.

That was said before the last game, and we didn't win at home. :eek:

Hopefully there will be a good result for us tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I went to Galway at the weekend but I can't make tonight's trip there. We should make light work of these lads, though. Hope I'm not tempting fate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

1.0 up, Shaun Williams(Captain) header from a free kick on the 12th minute. Nice.

It's on Extratime livetracker.

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/12359/1/

2-0 according to RTE - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/234-01.html

Looks like a nice 4-0 result to Fingal. Well done lads. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

2 goals from Conan two. Hopefully he'll get back to the form he was on last season.

Great article by Zayed this week. Really echos what I feel about the game between the Airtricity league 11 and Man U. Totally embarassing to see Irish football fans cheer against an Irish eleven.

Im a lifelong Leeds fan and always will be, but when it comes to who I would like to see win between Sporting Fingal and Leeds, well, there is no contest in my mind, Fingal everday of the week.

I just couldnt think of a worse way to open our National stadium, than having it filled with Irish people cheering against an Irish side. Depressing to say the least:( And a terrible way to kick off football in the stadium. The national side should have played a LOI side imo.

Anyway here is the article. See what you think yourselves

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4086/

Finn refused an Opportunity to have a two day trial with Celtic this week. According to the Fingal Ind. anyway.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/premium/sport/soccer/bhoy-oh-bhoy-2291281.html

Full article in the paper itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Eamon Zayed piece was spot on and it needs to be said. As for tonights game , Dundalk have been going through a really bad run recently but will get confidence from their draw with UCD last week .They haven't kept a clean sheet in 16 games so with our style of play and current form we should give them plenty of problems . We'll score goals tonight and if we defend well we'll win . Ill go for Fingal 2-0 or 2-1 .

A good win tonight. A well take goal by Shauny.

Conan played well too.

I haven't read the article about Finn and Glasgow, but I did ask him about it. I asked if he was going over, and he said "Not yet".

Interesting scores around the league tonight, so it's a good win.

Paulw wrote: »
    A good win tonight. A well take goal by Shauny.

Conan played well too.

I haven't read the article about Finn and Glasgow, but I did ask him about it. I asked if he was going over, and he said "Not yet".

Interesting scores around the league tonight, so it's a good win.
    Good win, yeah but I thought Conan played badly: his touch was way off and his passing was a bit wild.
    Ronan Finn...maybe if we all chipped a euro a week in for a bonus and he was fixed up with a contract advertising JC Savages he would stay?

Great article by Zayed this week. Really echos what I feel about the game between the Airtricity league 11 and Man U. Totally embarassing to see Irish football fans cheer against an Irish eleven.

Im a lifelong Leeds fan and always will be, but when it comes to who I would like to see win between Sporting Fingal and Leeds, well, there is no contest in my mind, Fingal everday of the week.

I just couldnt think of a worse way to open our National stadium, than having it filled with Irish people cheering against an Irish side. Depressing to say the least:( And a terrible way to kick off football in the stadium. The national side should have played a LOI side imo.

I agree with Eammo there but I'm hardly ashamed to be Irish: rather frustrated and annoyed that these millionaires get all the loyalty. I was at the Aviva that night and I was talking to people next to me about the LOI squad and they were looking at me like I was a stamp collector or a train spotter. It was a stupid stupid thing to send an unpractised squad of lambs to the slaughter. Any one of the Premier League teams would have had a better go. Still, after a while, I got a few people around me shouting for the LOI players !!!

• Advertisement

Not a great game tonight but a very important win. Thats 3 games in a week, 6 goals scored and none conceded:)

Its no coincidence that we have scored a few and conceded none since O Neil has come back and we can play two recognised central defenders. Hopefully we can keep it up

Robbie Doyle's been released from Bray...buy him back? Keep him out? Let's start a campaign either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

born2bwild wrote: »
    Robbie Doyle's been released from Bray...buy him back? Keep him out? Let's start a campaign either way.

Certanly not to come back here anyway, too (sometimes) lazy strikers is enough.

Certanly not to come back here anyway, too (sometimes) lazy strikers is enough.

Or two too lazy strikers? ;)

I doubt Doyle would be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

Ive already vented a few times on this but just re emphasise, Im a Man u fan all my life, was delighted yesterday when they/we won 3 nil with giggs and scholes still playing brilliantly....but there is no way in hell id support them over any irish team...shels included
    it was disgusting to see, the worst possible idea for the opening match. Now people will be even more entrenched in distancing from LOI after a mauling like that....

anyways great to see us getting some good wins and hopefully we take limerick in the fai cup as well and get back into this thing lol

Ive already vented a few times on this but just re emphasise, Im a Man u fan all my life, was delighted yesterday when they/we won 3 nil with giggs and scholes still playing brilliantly....but there is no way in hell id support them over any irish team...shels included
    it was disgusting to see, the worst possible idea for the opening match. Now people will be even more entrenched in distancing from LOI after a mauling like that....

anyways great to see us getting some good wins and hopefully we take limerick in the fai cup as well and get back into this thing lol

Totally agree, up to the Shels comment thats is ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Sporting Fingal’s A Championship team will meet Bohemians next Tuesday (Aug 23) in the final of the Newstalk Cup at Dalymount Park (7.30pm).

Good win tonight. Should have been a lot more. Our finishing was dreadful.
    On another day we would have won that by 4 or 5 goals.

Now for the big one on Monday. Pats at home :) cant wait.

• Advertisement

Monday will certainly be a big test, but I'm looking forward to it ... and then to the cup game for the A team on Tue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement