Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

ViperGTS wrote: »
    The Pats game is the quarter final of the FAI Cup (we're current holders) Its in Inchicore on Saturday at 1pm and is live on RTE. I'm sure this is gonna be a great game and hopefully we'll get a good turn out and it'll be a great atmosphere. It might not be on the fixture list beacuse it's a cup game

TBH, it should be. Its a massive game.

Tangy. If you are looking for info on the LOI and Fingal. Extratime is a very good site. Plenty of info on all the teams, good articles and an extensive fixture list. Also the Fingal Facebook page is very good aswell for up to date info (and here of course;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

Really looking forward to the trip to Pats, hopefully a good turnout from ourselves, we have made our defense of the cup hard on ourselves against Mervue and Limerick but hopefully the lads are up for this one. Would be nice to be going into this one on the back of some great results, but thats football.
    That's what makes the the victories(when they come) the more sweet.
    Have to say on Monday night and tuesday morning i wanted to kill them but its thursday now and all is well and Bray is forgotten.
    So Richmond Park for what i hope will be a great clash and result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Has the game been moved to Tolka ? :)

We had a decent turnout the last time we played them in the cup in Richmond so hope we better that on saturday. It should be an even contest but Sporting have plenty of ability to get through this round so lets stop the messing around at the back Fingal and put in your best performance of the season and get a much needed win and continue the march on the Aviva.

FINGAL TILL I DIE.

Shelbourne v Fingal - Tolka Park - Sunday 19th - KO 2pm.

A championship game. Parking will be a problem seeing that the bogball final is on the same day down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

What? 19th.. as in September 19th? or October 19th?

• Advertisement

Has the game been moved to Tolka ? :)

We had a decent turnout the last time we played them in the cup in Richmond so hope we better that on saturday. It should be an even contest but Sporting have plenty of ability to get through this round so lets stop the messing around at the back Fingal and put in your best performance of the season and get a much needed win and continue the march on the Aviva.

FINGAL TILL I DIE.

Thats just nasty, :cool:

Looks like our car may be full tomorrow. I think its time we beat Pats. God knows we should have done it before this. Really looking forward to this now.

Sorry Gooner :D.

I know they say attenences suffer when played on saturdays and sundays due to many things not least of all the EPL is back on now.
    However there is a great buzz getting up on Saturday morning knowing your heading out to support your team in a game of live football.
    THE RAVENS

See you lads up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Great atmosphere at the game. Plenty of Fingal noise. What a stupid first goal to give away. What the hell was Kenny Browne thinking? Crazy. A good few chances for Fingal though. Still early.

• Advertisement

Lads, that was great craic! we were makin some noise! We should have had.. what.. two penalties at least? had two goals disallowed and Im still tryin to figure out how their third goal made it across the line.

Ryyyyaaaaaaaaan.. Ryyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

edit: So here's our remaining fixtures according to extratime . ie, any Im missing or that are wrong? (dates, KO time etc.)

Fri. 24 19:45 Drogheda United - Sporting Fingal
    Oct,2010
    Fri. 01 19:45 Sporting Fingal - St. Patrick's Athletic
    Sat. 09 15:00 Shamrock Rovers - Sporting Fingal
    Fri. 15 19:45 Sporting Fingal - Galway United
    Fri. 22 19:45 Dundalk - Sporting Fingal
    Fri. 29 19:45 Sporting Fingal - U.C.D

Lads, that was great craic! we were makin some noise! We should have had.. what.. two penalties at least? had two goals disallowed and Im still tryin to figure out how their third goal made it across the line.

Ryyyyaaaaaaaaan.. Ryyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

edit: So here's our remaining fixtures according to extratime . ie, any Im missing or that are wrong? (dates, KO time etc.)

Fri. 24 19:45 Drogheda United - Sporting Fingal
    Oct,2010
    Fri. 01 19:45 Sporting Fingal - St. Patrick's Athletic
    Sat. 09 15:00 Shamrock Rovers - Sporting Fingal
    Fri. 15 19:45 Sporting Fingal - Galway United
    Fri. 22 19:45 Dundalk - Sporting Fingal
    Fri. 29 19:45 Sporting Fingal - U.C.D

I think the pats game is on sat at 1 o clock due to it being on tv again. Terrible time for a game and the pats crowd was half what it would have been due to the early start.

Maybe someone else can confirm this as my hangover only allows me a limited ability to function today.

I think the pats game is on sat at 1 o clock due to it being on tv again. Terrible time for a game and the pats crowd was half what it would have been due to the early start.

The problem there is that there are athletics on in Morton Stadium that day. So, there's a bit of an issue.

Paulw wrote: »
    The problem there is that there are athletics on in Morton Stadium that day. So, there's a bit of an issue.

Could they not postpone any field sports til later on in the day after the match? Surely they can still do track sports while our match is played.

Sporting Fingal don't own the stadium, the athletics club do.

So, there's no way that the athletics will be postponed or anything like that.

The game may have to move, to an alternate stadium (Dalymount, Tolka, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Could they not postpone any field sports til later on in the day after the match? Surely they can still do track sports while our match is played.

just to add to pauls post, do you think they would let a football match go on while there was lads runing on the track? one of them mite get a smack of the ball:p or what if 1 of the runers was called ryan and we start chanting ryan.... ryan..... again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Paulw wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal don't own the stadium, the athletics club do.

So, there's no way that the athletics will be postponed or anything like that.

The game may have to move, to an alternate stadium (Dalymount, Tolka, etc).

is there a chance it could just have the date changed again (midweek maybe, monday-wendsday)? i mean such a big game at the end of the season and we are fighting for a european spot we shouldent be giveing up our home advantage, especialy in a dublin derby even if it is on tv.

id say liam buckley and joe corr will be saying the same.

So we're out of the cup, to be honest i am not surprised. The way we handled ourselves with our previous two competitors we were always going to give this one away. Yes we scored two goals that were waved away and yes we should have at least one if not two penalties but it's sunday and all the discussions ain't going to change that.
    So congrats to Pat's and i hope they go all the way. But i hope we really do them when they come to Morton.
    I have to say i thought our lads fought well and showed at least a desire to not loose against them even if basic errors allowed the opposition to capatilise.
    The atmosphere was great, the noise level was great. All credit to the lad with the megaphone great craic with the siren and who ever came up the hup hup hup hup hup to drown out that annoying fan deserves to take a bow, class.
    And now for the gripe. Does it take that much for our players at the away games to at least come towards us and acknowledge us, yes great to clap us as they head down the tunnel but it used to be they would come over towards us now nothing. Our away crowd is small we all know that but at least it is starting to grow a little so surely the players and the manager could at the very least give encouragement to those that have bothered to travel and maybe next time one of us tells a mate 'You know the away fixtures are some of the best' and look what happens then we actually start to build an away support.
    Having said that well done to all who came out to support, hope to see you all at the next one.

And now for the gripe. Does it take that much for our players at the away games to at least come towards us and acknowledge us

They don't even run towards me to get their pict of the celebration. :eek:

They just seem to run and celebrate. No specific direction or plan.

It would be nice if they ran in a particular way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Gooner. You have touched a subject that has bothered me all season i.e.a disconnect between the players and the fans. I go to the vast majority of games both home and away and it seems there is little if any will among the players to even acknowledge our existance. I was in Galway about six weeks back.We won 1-0 but players walked straight of the pitch without turning their heads in our direction.At the game on Saturday we made more noise than the St.Pats fans and at end of the game only Shaun Williams even glanced towards us walking off. I feel unless this attitude is sorted we give credence to opposition jibes that we are a "franchise" rather than a club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

You guys! it was so neat shouting R--y--a--n at that 'sawcer meet'. Still he was the one laughing in the end since we lost. It's so frustrating watching how poorly we defend. How many stupid goals have to go in before Bucko and John Devine take defending as seriously as playing passing, 'attractive' football? What was Kenny Browne doing? Kenny is a great defender...but that's the point...he's a centre half...centre halfs can not and should not be called on to play passing football in their own half. In almost every match this season we've let in soft goals because we're playing football in the wrong part of the pitch. No more defensive errors!!! Please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

The loss of acknowledgement of our fans is THE number one thing that gets to me. Defensive errors and missed chances are part and parcel of the game but to get applauded from 40 yards by 1 or 2 players is desperate. I've been to a few away games this season and 2 stand out in my mind. The away game at Mervue. Bucko came over to us at the end and shook all of our hands (5). This was appreciated but why only Liam and not even the team to walk over and throw in a thank you (not looking for a handshake all the time :D) The Sligo game. I'm not sure how many fans were there all together as some could have got into the home stand but I doubt it. For 15mins I was alone in the away stand and at the end of the game there was 4 of us. Again Shauny was the only 1 that acknowledged us but this was a clap from the opposite side of the ground. Not everyone has the convenience of getting work near hard to get to away games (I do try :o) but for those that get to be it Bray or Galway, Tallaght or Dundalk appreciation would be much appreciated. To see Bohs and Rovers and the like going over to their fans at our ground to celebrate or congratulate really gets to me and the little effort would go a long way. We've never boooed our players and no matter what the result they've got applause and chants coming off the field. I must go now, gonna cry :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nothing on in Morton on the day of the pats game other than Clonliff training at 11am.

I watched the game again on tv. How we didnt get a pen in that game for what could been seen as two handballs by the one player. The ball struck his left arm albeit while it was down by his side but he did move it towards the ball and then out popped his right hand to stop it again, all this while the ref was standing right in front of it with nobody in his way.

I watched the two corners we scored from as well and couldnt see a single thing wrong with the first one from Hawkins and the Glen Crowe goal was scored by him outmuscling the defender. No push just out fought him for the ball. When stuff like that goes against you and then add in our silly mistakes to concede, I guess we where never going to win that game.

It was enjoyable to see us play some great football with a 4-4-2 formation for the whole of the second half. I know i always go on about this but its time to go back to this way of playing. We need to try this from now till the end of the season. It aint working the other way and we need a different way of playing. We created so many chances from the wings it was great to see. Also nice to see O Neil have a partner up front and not look so isolated. I have no doubt that Zayed would score plenty with O Neil holding the ball up and Kirby and Conan whipping balls into the box.
    So time for something new Liam, it really is. What have we got to lose.

As for the lads clapping or lack of, well its something that has annoyed me for a good while now. Unfortunately Morton doesnt do us any favours when it comes to player/fans interaction which probably goes a long way to the disconnect between fans and players but it aint enough of an excuse and certainly not when its away games. I undertand the players where disappointed but if they can shake the opposition players hands then surely they can clap there own fans, It was a decent away support for us, we did make some great noise and did our part to spur the team on. As Viper has said, we dont boo the lads (something I personally hate, booing that is) We cheer them off win lose or draw, so a little appreciation back would be nice.

It tends to be Conan (always), Wiliams (always), Kirby and one or two of the others who clap from time to time, while Conan seems to be the only one who looks to the supporters when he scores. Not good enough for a club who are trying get bigger gates. I always remember Dave Rogers clipping Hynsey around the back of the head in year one and telling him to clap the supporters when a game was finished. We need a few more characters like him in the squad. Its what we are lacking for so many reasons.

Lads, what position do we have to finish above to get into Europe?

Lads, what position do we have to finish above to get into Europe?

3rd, unless one of the top 3 win the cup, then 4th is good enough.

Well considering the 4 sides left in the cup are in the top 4 spots, thats a given. So do you's think we'll make it? We're only a point behind Pat's as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

I reckon we can get into Europe. I really hope we do will help the club loads and bring in more fans.

Third, but if the second or third placed team wins the cup then the fourth placed in the league gets their league spot in the europa cup.
    If the league champions do the double then i would have thought that the cup runners up would get the cup spot as the winners would have the champions league spot and the unless the runners up have already qualified for europe then surely it would be right for them to get the cup spot.
    If we win our remaining games then we could get third with other results going our way and if we play like we did on saturday then we have every chance if the defending improves.
    Its still all to play for.
    personally i think Crowe should start and be replaced with zayed sometime in the second half. It worked against Maritimo away when his goal had us winning until the 76th minute, he scored a hat trick for the A team last week against Sligo and SCORED with his first touch on saturday and he looks far sharper than what he was at the start of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Colly James out for the rest of the season with a grade 2 medial cruciate ligament tear :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement