Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

On another note. Europe BABY :D

Great night last night. Nice to see the promotion worked and id be interested to find out if the club actually made more money on the night than previous games against similar opposition. It was our biggest home support since the first few game of the season and the stand was nearly full which hasnt happened for while.

Really good atmosphere at the game and the football was great with some real quality on the pitch. I have no idea what im going to do on fridays for the next 4 months :(

Cheers to all the lads/ladies for the support this year and cheers to all the new lads we have made friends with this year, its been great.

FAI cup final anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

FAI cup final anyone?

I was hoping to pick up my tickets tomorrow but now ticketmaster are saying theyre not on sale until Thursday :/

The stand was packed last night, its the first time Iv actually seen people stuck for somewhere to sit:eek: Id love to start puttin names to faces, btw. I know the username Viper is that John lad with the big drum, other than that Iv got nothing.

I was hoping to pick up my tickets tomorrow but now ticketmaster are saying theyre not on sale until Thursday :/

The stand was packed last night, its the first time Iv actually seen people stuck for somewhere to sit:eek: Id love to start puttin names to faces, btw. I know the username Viper is that John lad with the big drum, other than that Iv got nothing.

Ill let Viper say whether thats true or not.

As for the rest of us, well, its a puzzle all new fingal fans must go through. When one has completed this task then one can truly call themselves a fan;) Good luck.

Im sure you will get to know us from the beginning of next season.

The stand was packed last night, its the first time Iv actually seen people stuck for somewhere to sit:eek:

UCD muppet on fool.ie is trying to make out the stand was only half full:rolleyes:

UCD muppet on fool.ie is trying to make out the stand was only half full:rolleyes:

Tool, just bitter about some of the chants we had for them ..'Whats that whisper over there,' and the like :)

• Advertisement

I think he basically does it 1) He is a tool, your right and 2) Ucd are always the team getting slagged for poor support so they are delighted we have been getting the slagging the last couple of years, so he is desperate to maintain the idea our support is just as small as theirs or worse. Pathetic really. This guy is also a Mod on fool.ie and in his 30s:rolleyes:. What a sad little life this guy must lead.

Honest question, with regards to the Fingal support. Has it grown since the first season? has it shrunk? or has it always been at the scale it has been for the last few home matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fingal support, without a doubt at all, is growing. Yes, it's still a new club and still a small travelling fan base, but it's definitely growing.

There were more Fingal fans in Dundalk last week, in the soaking rain, than there were UCD fans at last night's game.

As for a club announcement, well, I know there is one due, but obviously I can't give details on what I know. Just that it's good news. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,190 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is it the same source that says that you wont be in tolka next year but using Dalymount?
    No1 ever said that we wouldn't be in Tolka next year, Dalymount was a contingency plan for if we couldn't stay. This wasn't hearsay, it was made public at the fans forum with the board. We are now staying in Tolka next year.

The news about you playing in Tolka next year on the other hand may be just hearsay, but it is something I've heard.

Paulw wrote: »
    Fingal support, without a doubt at all, is growing. Yes, it's still a new club and still a small travelling fan base, but it's definitely growing.

There were more Fingal fans in Dundalk last week, in the soaking rain, than there were UCD fans at last night's game.

As for a club announcement, well, I know there is one due, but obviously I can't give details on what I know. Just that it's good news. :D

Is this not the announcement that was to be made on the 30th? TODAY?! :P

I hope its about the complex breaking ground next month, that would be great. Ill be passing it most days and keeping a keen eye on development :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I think he basically does it 1) He is a tool, your right and 2) Ucd are always the team getting slagged for poor support so they are delighted we have been getting the slagging the last couple of years, so he is desperate to maintain the idea our support is just as small as theirs or worse. Pathetic really. This guy is also a Mod on fool.ie and in his 30s:rolleyes:. What a sad little life this guy must lead.

hey lamper im a drogs fan myself but i pop in here as i live near balbriggan and keep an eye on news from there and nose at what all you fingal fans are at.anyway would this ucd fan over on foot.ie have the same user name on there as a fingal fan on here?if so hes barred off the drogs messageboard for being a general idiot for a few years now.

Its a fairly unique username, Id bank on it bein the same lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

CSF wrote: »
    No1 ever said that we wouldn't be in Tolka next year, Dalymount was a contingency plan for if we couldn't stay. This wasn't hearsay, it was made public at the fans forum with the board. We are now staying in Tolka next year.

The news about you playing in Tolka next year on the other hand may be just hearsay, but it is something I've heard.

To be fair, exactly the same thing was making the rounds this time last year and more than likely will be next year as well.

rpurfield wrote: »
    hey lamper im a drogs fan myself but i pop in here as i live near balbriggan and keep an eye on news from there and nose at what all you fingal fans are at.anyway would this ucd fan over on foot.ie have the same user name on there as a fingal fan on here?if so hes barred off the drogs messageboard for being a general idiot for a few years now.

Thats the one and a fan of infractions if you say the word bitter :)

The very same. He is a muppet and one of the main reason that site is as bad as it is. Not just because he is the main culprit of sh1t stirring but also because he allows others to do it and when they are called on it or others fans object, he changes their posts or hands out infractions. Its a pity because the site could actually be a great advertisement for the league but instead it allows the worst kind of bitter LOI fans to flurish which in turn helps to give the fans and the league a bad rep.
    The actual truth is the majority of fans in the lge are great and just out to enjoy themselves.

I just dont and never will understand fans/posters who got out with the intention to annoy other posters just for the laugh of it or to get a rise out of people. It makes no sense and I think you have to be a pretty sad individual if this is how you get your kicks. I dont mind banter which is just having a laugh but the length some idiots go to just to disrupt threads and annoy others is beyond moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Yeah Lamper, wtf to do for the next few months? I'd hibernate but bills etc...I was in Tolka tonight to see Shelbourne. God, they were awful; Paisley was ok but nothing special. The ground itself is almost a museum piece. The corrugated cowshed roofs and concrete walls around the pitch really give the place a 1950s feel. The mist coming in over the ground made me think that I'd slipped into some kind of time warp. Still l like the place. Fingal shouldn't play there though: it's Shels' ground.

And...Pineapple stu: stop winding people up.... that stand was effectively full in Santry the other night, it was really obvious from the other side of the pitch (looking from the athletics club pub).

812 was the figure given on extratime.ie, thats not just effectively full.. thats capacity plus 12.

Paulw wrote: »

Good news? Haven't you heard there's a recession?

812 was the figure given on extratime.ie, thats not just effectively full.. thats capacity plus 12.
    Yeah but the lads were having handbags over the word 'effectively' on foot.ie. There were a few people standing on the low terrace to the north of the main stand. 812? Maybe...750 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The very same. He is a muppet and one of the main reason that site is as bad as it is. Not just because he is the main culprit of sh1t stirring but also because he allows others to do it and when they are called on it or others fans object, he changes their posts or hands out infractions. Its a pity because the site could actually be a great advertisement for the league but instead it allows the worst kind of bitter LOI fans to flurish which in turn helps to give the fans and the league a bad rep.
    The actual truth is the majority of fans in the lge are great and just out to enjoy themselves.

I just dont and never will understand fans/posters who got out with the intention to annoy other posters just for the laugh of it or to get a rise out of people. It makes no sense and I think you have to be a pretty sad individual if this is how you get your kicks. I dont mind banter which is just having a laugh but the length some idiots go to just to disrupt threads and annoy others is beyond moronic.

better off doing what most drogs fans do stick to your own messageboards(ie this thread)and approach fool with the opinion your gonna laugh at everything on it.

• Advertisement

better off doing what most drogs fans do stick to your own messageboards(ie this thread)and approach fool with the opinion your gonna laugh at everything on it.

Agreed and it was what Iv been doing for the last year or more. I usually have a slip every few months or so:)

Anyway all the best for next season and I hope yous are back sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

I feel that the support base is growing slowly but surely. A crowd of around 800 v a club who carry very little away support themselves is good. The club really could not have come into existance at a worse time economically with people having little disposable income. This has been obvious at other grounds this season with reduced attendance.
    On the pitch its been another season of very good progress. In 3 seasons we've gone from a new team in Div 1 to 4th in the Premier and in Europe for a 2nd season . Terrific by any standard.
    Looking back at the season can't help feeling the the league was there to be won.During our European games we fielded a weakened team against Drogheda Utd at home and lost. Also when it dawned on the management that a system closer to 4-4-2 could work and began starting games with Glen Crowe close to Gary O'Neill we never looked back. If Glen Crowe had started more games could we have won the league?

Yes :)

But lets not forget the goals Zayed the Statue Of Lybia has scored for us and without them we wouldnt have finished where we did.
    Thanks Eammon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

Wouldn't be a fan of Eamon Zayed myself. Only thing in his defence is he was asked to play out of position wide of the left but his workrate is non existent and he doesn't appear to be a teamplayer . The goals he got was all he contributed all season.

I think we have three very good striking options in O'Neill, Crowe and Zayed. I think they have all played their parts in getting us to where we are. Both Crowe and Zayed have been asked to play out on the wing at times, which doesn't suit them at all, and doesn't really suit the style.

Hopefully we'll have more of a 4-4-2 next year, although there will be a few changes to the squad, I'm sure.

I know there's a good few who are still in contract, so who knows what will happen with the rest of the players. They all deserve a good break now, before it's back to pre-season training in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

I LOVE THIS CLUB!!!!

Time to get the votes in, Ronan Finn, goal of the month

1515 717184 (vote B)
    or text GOAL B to 57111.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fingal-likely-to-cash-in-on-williams-after-sponsor-blow-2405011.html

Glen Crowe, Gary O'Neill, Eamon Zayed and Colin Hawkins have already been told that their contracts will not be renewed... Shauny Williams is as good as gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

I thought either way that Zayed and Crowe would be gone, the latter has given us a great end to the season and showed why Boh's hold him in such high regard as do many League of Ireland supporters. But Eamon never did settle in with Bucko, he was a fine finisher but I would be happier to watch Glen Crowe pull on the shirt than Eamon. Don't matter much as both will be gone. Gary O'Niell I liked from the start but his injury this year that he never really came back from meant he did not hit the same great form as last season, i thought that we would be getting in two strikers that he would have to compete with rather than just take up an automatic starting position.
    Shaun Williams will be a big loss, when we got to see him Mc Faul and Finn together they were a match for anybody.
    I guess once the decline of Irelands building trade began and the setting up of NAMA that it was in the mind of every Fingal fan that we would be hit by this. If it were happenning at any other club we would be questioning the morals of it. So we must just wait on the news to come through the same as everybody else does and suffer the slings and arrows of what gets thrown at us.
    What a year though,
    Highs: Pat's away in the cup, i know this is a funny one as we lost but the atmosphere was great, i like Pats as i have posted before they were the first Premier division team we faced(in the cup in our first season) it was also my first time seeing the level of th League at top flight. So the away game for me was all about the atmosphere, hup hup hup and that cow bell. The race of the physios and both supporters cheering them as they came out to their respective players.
    Shamrock Rovers away, their grounds are fantastic and as i came up the short tunnel and came out to a wall of their fans, i thought this is what every game should be like. The result was amazing.
    First match in the Premier League against Boh's we were robbed but the night was a great night, the sense of history and their crowd was huge so once again the atmosphere was class.
    The comeback against Pats at home after they put us out of the cup.
    And the beating of UCD to gain Europe, it was a great night of football.
    Lows, we should have bet Shamrock Rovers that Sunday, ridiculous handball given against Gary O'Niell.
    All the draws, the loss against Drogheda, struggling to beat Bray at home when everyone else was whipping them. This was before they came good.
    And Sligo getting a last minute winner to beat Pat's and secure 3rd.

• Advertisement

If Crowe, Zayed and O'Neill are all gone ... who will be up front to score? :eek:

It's been a rollercoaster 3 years, and I certainly think that this news article is just a blip. Every club in the league is having financial problems. No team is excluded.

It will be interesting to see what really happens in the off season. The plan for Sporting Fingal is a lot bigger than just the main team. I can't see it all falling apart just like that. It would be a disaster for Fingal and Fingal Co. Co.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement