Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

I agree with you completely Paul, Sporting Fingal is not just a football club, they have other investments in the community, as in the Futsal and more. So I am not taking this as the demise of our club by any means, or anything close to it, it is a re-structuring.
    As in who will be up front Kilduff(UCD, we do like them lads) and Sheppard(Galway Utd. and local) anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

How does that Novena thing work again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Not sure about the specifics but its basically a whole load of praying.

Not sure, but i know how this one goes, "The smile on your face lets me know that you need me..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sounds like part time football next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Jesus lads, don't believe everything you hear especially anything from a paper that hasn't got anyone quoted in it. It's all just hearsay at the min and the statement from the club is proof that nothing is out of sorts as of yet. Heres hoping for a stronger and more solid squad and season next year.
    Just chillax the beans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The same happened last season, that those not on contracts were told new discussions would happen prior to the season starting.

There are 9 players still on contract, so the team will be built around them.

It's natural that the club will review it's budget before anything is set for next season.

Out of interest when Fingal CC were in the planning stages for the club what existing club models did they base it upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Corsendonk - Please start a separate thread for this discussion.

Reason being that a serious discussion such as this (a) really should be in the Soccer forum & (b) given the fluid nature of this thread the discussion of one specific topic could easily get derailed by any number of other posts on other fan topics.

Thanks,

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Out of interest when Fingal CC were in the planning stages for the club what existing club models did they base it upon?

Im not to sure on that one. I know they had a look at the set up of a scandanavian club possibly Rosenborg but im open to correction.

ViperGTS wrote: »
    Jesus lads, don't believe everything you hear especially anything from a paper that hasn't got anyone quoted in it. It's all just hearsay at the min and the statement from the club is proof that nothing is out of sorts as of yet. Heres hoping for a stronger and more solid squad and season next year.
    Just chillax the beans ;)

Nobody has said they believe what they have read in the paper, what is being commented on is the fact that there will be possible changes at the club, with the economic climate as it is there is a lack money in sponsorship for example. Most clubs have to re-evaluate there budget for next season as money is tighter than it has been, and that includes ourselves. Although this may not be as big a thing as it at first seems as it will mean that most clubs will have to cut back therefore it still remains a level playing field with regards to signing new players and extending other players contracts. Those whose contracts are ending have not got many choices available to them and those clubs who were looking for marque signings may now have re-evaluate the value of such players. I do believe there will be a change at the club but i also believe that it will not be a disaster as others might allude to.
    So my good friend the 'Beans' is well and truly chillaxed over here, you just concentrate on getting that baton of yours up to professional standards for next season, and the small matter of European Football. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 derekobrien

anyone know who is still in contract? and what were your thoughts on the players over the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd say the vultures who had it in for us since the beginning will be lapping up all the news and rumours. A budget will be prepared and the wage bill etc. will be set. If the finances are really poor then we won't be so high in the league next year but we won't be going bust any time soon; ever hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Ah finally have the computer back up and running properly again. What a time for it all to go down.

As fingal fans we all knew that this would happen(if stories are to be believed). Hoped it would be later rather than this soon. There wont be many club who will have much finances for next year and it looks like possibly we will be the same. This is not the end of the world and hopefully we can start producing some good players from the youth side and mix them with the more experienced. We have to become a club who produces good young talent (similar to ucd) and allows that talent to break into the first team. Give young players who come back from england their chance (Lorcan, Quinn) This wont bring success to the club straight away but will help to keep the club up and running. We have to get into fingal proper. We need this lusk project to get the go-ahead (tired of talking about it)

The club needs to do everything in its power to make sure we keep up the good work already done on the pitch and off. If this means a reduced budget and less marquee signings so be it. I dont care about the players as much as i care about the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

Like most Sporting Fingal fans it appears, I was fairly new to the league of Ireland this time 5 years ago.
    I always considered myself a northsider even tho i actually lived in ashbourne for most of my life.
    I was fortuanate enough to get a job in a bookies and was working in the head office which meant i had to keep an eye on prices, results etc of alot of football matches. I had a soft spot for bohs at the time but would hardly consider myself a die hard supporter (although i did make a detour while inter railing to see them play in salzburg). Anyways 5 years ago i moved to santry. i noticed there was team called sporting fingal playing there in the first division and tried to get along to a few matches (twas hard cos of working hours etc). At the time the singing section was brilliant (we also went unbeaten for ages). I'll never forget the away match at the end of the season against shels where the stupic schooligans tried to egg us into a fight. Despite being older and presumably stronger we just laughed at them, saps. lol
    It was probably a good thing not getting promoted straight away, i think we needed time and experience to settle as a club.
    Wining the FAI cup was something speical and something i missed out on cos
    I still wasnt getting to as much matches as i wanted. This year our first in the premier league was brilliant. The biggest regrets was not making it to portugal it sounds like we played our hearts out esp coming back against top class opposition. The atmosphere in dalymount (are largest crowd!) was amazing for the return leg and again we came close but were still outclassed by opposition out of our league.
    I def got to more matches this year altho in the last two months i was living in galway., my brothers are living here so i was bringing them along and even got my dad along once. That pats away match was so funny.....i had such a great laugh and brot me back to the first year singing chants we had (some of which were understandably censored) winding up the opposition!
    Anyways since then i really have started just loving it all! I just hope we keep it up. I know 800 doesnt sound much but against a team like UCD with nothing really to play for and very small away fans (similair games were getting haf that) was a great way to finish the season.

The singing section seem to be getting more settled and back to confident ways. We need to keep it up (whatever happened to all those kids from the first year tho?)!

The fans voices are heard given the players have been told to aknowledge us so make sure we dont get silent.
    I hope we can keep this momentum into next year and even if there are cut backs that we can keep the atmosphere as we have the last few games. Also try and build on our away crowd.....i mean most ppl are coming from swords or further into santry anyways so games in dalymount shudnt be too much of a stretch....not that im one to talk!
    Also if anybody wants to get into the early europa league jitters;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_UEFA_Europa_League#First_qualifying_round

Now altho we came fourth and only got the last slot this has an upshot because it means we aare seeded in this round....
    which means that like dundalk last summer we should get erm easier opposition (bohs lost 4 nil to easier opposition so take nothing for granted). We are alot better thn dundalk so if all goes to plan we shud have 4 matches thats 2 away euro trips.....so fun times ahead!!

One other thing, one of the matches they were waving giant flags (the disrespect of it lying on the ground aside)....we need more of them, in the fan section....preferably plain black....nice and threatening....

Anyways 5 years ago i moved to santry. i noticed there was team called sporting fingal playing there in the first division and tried to get along to a few matches (twas hard cos of working hours etc).

Sounds like you were following Sporting Fingal before they even existed. The club was only formed 3 years ago (2007). :D

Roll on next season.

Flags would be deadly, but we're not allowed flagpoles in the stand.

Didn't rovers or shels try the flags before. Looks alot better at the San Siro, here it just blocks the view.

No matter where you have flags its going to block the view. Its not about enhancing viewing conditions, its about enhancing the atmosphere.

edit:

Doubt many lads here have a clearcut view of whats happening on the pitch
    3788058850a3883788471b142126837l.jpg

Similarly, but on a grander scale :eek:
    ultras18.jpg

..I say, bring on the flags!
    th_bohstosporting.gif?t=1288901673

• Advertisement

How about cheerleaders? That always enhances the atmosphere, they even have them to warm up the crowd in soccer.

A few of us have been talking about getting some flags together for next season. So hopefully some more colour. It is great that the singing section has started to come together again. This time with some of the old and some new. It took moving over to the other side of the stand for this to happen. It was a lot easier for like minded fans to go there than that pokey little bit on the other side. The sound is better on the new side as well. It also meant people who might not normally sing or clap where being encouraged to as well. Iv consistantly looked down at the rest of the crowd and seen smiles from parents and their kids from the noise we make. It all adds to what makes a great day out for all. Another good point is that the players could hear us chant them on and off.

The crowds away from home where starting to pick up a bit as well due the fact we are all starting to get to know each other and in turn organising lifts between the fans to help get people to the games.

There is definitley the start of something good here again. Something that had been lost a bit from year one. Lets keep this going and another fans meeting with the club would not go astray. Best way for us all to get talking.

The flags tend not to stay up for the entire match. mostly when teams are coming out and off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

As a shels fan who knows what its like to be a fan of a club with "financial problems"; good luck with your club, hope it pulls through.
    Obviously you don't have many fans cos you're so new, but no league of Ireland fan is in a position to slag another team about number of fans. But the ones there seem pretty passionate about the club.
    Although Gary o'neill is still a prick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Flags: Definately a good idea
    Noise: We need to encourage more to get involved
    Many thanks to all the lads that got involved with helping out the less fortunate of fans and offered lifts to away games, it really helped with numbers. Went to the end of season awards last night. It was a brillant night and great craic had by all. Shauny Williams took player of the year (even arriving later on after playing half an hour in Tallaght). Johnny Mcguirk's daughter too young supporter of the year and Tommy and his family took supporter(s) of the year (unsure of the family surname). A few players turned up and the night itself was a great success. The Kinsealy branch are having another night soon aswell. There was a big mix up with dates but I think they settled on the 15th of this month. I'll confirm as soon as I can anyway. Regarding the 9 still in contract, don't quote me on it but I think its as follows.
    Clarke, Quigley (2 seperate players there lads), Shaun Williams and Maher, Conan, Finner, Mcfaul, Ger O'Brien and Dawson. Again don't quote me but I think thats right.

Regarding the 9 still in contract, don't quote me on it but I think its as follows.
    Clarke, Quigley (2 seperate players there lads), Shaun Williams and Maher, Conan, Finner, Mcfaul, Ger O'Brien and Dawson. Again don't quote me but I think thats right.

I have to agree. Great to see the fan base growing and becoming more vocal. It was definitely noticed at some games.

As for your 9 ... have to disagree about 2 there. ;) Then again, I don't have confirmed info either, but from chatting to two of the players on your list, I don't believe they're still in contract.

What do yas think of a bastardised Scotland flag? Ill try my hand at a bit of photoshop and post up an example when Iv finished.

Many thanks to all the lads that got involved with helping out the less fortunate of fans and offered lifts to away games, it really helped with numbers. Went to the end of season awards last night. It was a brillant night and great craic had by all. Shauny Williams took player of the year (even arriving later on after playing half an hour in Tallaght). Johnny Mcguirk's daughter too young supporter of the year and Tommy and his family took supporter(s) of the year (unsure of the family surname). A few players turned up and the night itself was a great success. The Kinsealy branch are having another night soon aswell. There was a big mix up with dates but I think they settled on the 15th of this month. I'll confirm as soon as I can anyway. Regarding the 9 still in contract, don't quote me on it but I think its as follows.

I call him Cluigley. Easier that way.

Im sort off sorry I missed the night now. Sound like good crack.

bastardfingalflag.jpg?t=1289049226

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Corsendonk wrote: »
    How about cheerleaders? That always enhances the atmosphere, they even have them to warm up the crowd in soccer.
    I know I'm on boards.ie but I just have to say it: 'Now ye're talkin' Missed last night, though.
    Anyone going to cup final next week? I'm gonna be in with the Shams at the glass wall end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement