Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Paparazzo wrote: »
    As a shels fan who knows what its like to be a fan of a club with "financial problems"; good luck with your club, hope it pulls through.
    Obviously you don't have many fans cos you're so new, but no league of Ireland fan is in a position to slag another team about number of fans. But the ones there seem pretty passionate about the club.
    Although Gary o'neill is still a prick :D
    Thanks for that...except the O'Neill comment. I think he's been released now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Congrats to Shaun Williams on collecting the PFAI Young player of the year award. A model for the club and an outstanding player this season. Richie Ryan of Sligo picked up the player of the year award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Congrats to Shauny. Well deserved. Nice to have some positive press about the team.

Tangy. Nice effort on the flag and its things like this we really need to bring into the club next year. Colour and more colour.

There is a nice tri-colour design(green,white and black) done by a lad on Facebook. Really looks the part plus I like the idea of flags with a raven of some sort on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Might be close to the concept your looking for, if someone has a decent photoshop or knowledge of grapic design perhaps place a football in the Ravens talons. You dont want too complex of a design otherwise more cost to make the flag. I tried inserting but pdf files don't work in posts it seems.
    134072.pdf

Finn wins last goal of the month comp for the season on mns. Congrats. It was a great goal that nearly matched his other wonder strike up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Two options now for goal of the season - Gary O'Neill or Ronan Finn??

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2851067.smil

Looking more and more likely that there will be no relegation for next season.

It seems that a 16 team Premier Division will be formed for 2012. Not a bad thing imo. It was getting too repetitive playing some teams 4 times a season and in some cases more when you got them in the cup.
    It means when you come against Rovers at tallaght or at home it will feel like more of an event.

The downside is that you wont have 2 visits of large away support from the likes of Rovers and Bohs but there will be more teams like Cork and shels who will bring decent away support.(if they come up that is).

Here are some links.

http://foot.ie/threads/142928-16-Team-Premier-Division-Winter-Season-from-2012-13-TODAY-S-DAILY-MAIL

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1110/1224283029198.html

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1110/gavinf_airtricity.html

I doubt the winter football idea in the first link would be a runner and personally wouldnt want that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Like you Lamper I've long thought the ten team /play em FOUR times leauge was crazy for the reasons you describe . The fixure list was frankly mononotonous . Also the real gap in the leauge was not between the bottom clubs in the premier and the top clubs in the first but between the top and bottom clubs in the first .
    However the decision to ONLY NOW look in to the possiblity of a 16 leauge makes fools of so many teams and fans . As early as April if I'm not mistaken certain managers such as Eddie Gormley were calling for 16 teams for the very reasons above .
    Once again all the heartbreak / drama of the playoffs have been made totally unnnecessary and pointless . Players and fans efforts were shown no respect . Last year we could blame Cork and Derry - this year we can only blame people like Gavin who must also be members of the "flat earth society" .
    One quick thought to leave you with - if (GOD forbid) a fan/player had been seroiusly injured in the wall collapse or players who made mistakes on the night had done drastic things - would the possibility of scrapping the relegation battle of 2010 be on the table ? I think not .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sffc wrote: »
    Like you Lamper I've long thought the ten team /play em FOUR times leauge was crazy for the reasons you describe . The fixure list was frankly mononotonous . Also the real gap in the leauge was not between the bottom clubs in the premier and the top clubs in the first but between the top and bottom clubs in the first .
    However the decision to ONLY NOW look in to the possiblity of a 16 leauge makes fools of so many teams and fans . As early as April if I'm not mistaken certain managers such as Eddie Gormley were calling for 16 teams for the very reasons above .
    Once again all the heartbreak / drama of the playoffs have been made totally unnnecessary and pointless . Players and fans efforts were shown no respect . Last year we could blame Cork and Derry - this year we can only blame people like Gavin who must also be members of the "flat earth society" .
    One quick thought to leave you with - if (GOD forbid) a fan/player had been seroiusly injured in the wall collapse or players who made mistakes on the night had done drastic things - would the possibility of scrapping the relegation battle of 2010 be on the table ? I think not .
    The 16 team won't start this season coming, it'll be the following one.

The FAI better announce it sooner rather than later. The clubs need to know what to expect well in advance of any budgets being drafted up.

• Advertisement

My apologies to Mr . Gavin ! must learn to read slower .... There will need to be an extra financial carrot to saying in the top 7 or 8 next season though .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sffc wrote: »
    My apologies to Mr . Gavin ! must learn to read slower .... There will need to be an extra financial carrot to saying in the top 7 or 8 next season though .
    Why? Nothing changes for Fingal if they finish in the same position as last season. It'll just serve as an advantage for Fingal if they're in a position where they'd normally face relegation or a playoff.

My reasoning is that especially in the second half of the season the bottom half of the leauge will be very uncompetitiive .
    Take the season just gone as an example . By July it was plain to see that Bray , Drogheda, Galway and to a lesser extent UCD had no real chance of a European place . As the season went on Dundalk fell into this list . That makes 5 teams - half the leauge who would have had nothing to play for .
    There needs to be a little extra incentive not to finish last or second last this coming season - thats if the 16 team leauge is coming in 2012 !

Guys,

Well, the season on the pitch has ended (for us anyway).

Just curious as to how people view the club - in general terms.

Club programme
    Club website
    Stewards
    Facilities (food, sweets, etc)
    My picts :D (would you like to see more on the club website, etc)
    Club shop - anything you'd like them to sell that they don't (posters, calendars, etc)

A small comment on each would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

The Programme: Is fine to be honest I don't rate programmes highly anyway but I think ours is as good or bad as everyone elses.

The Website: Needs a massive overhaul, the match reports are copied and pasted from Extratime.ie and nothing else added. The players notes as in Ger O'Brien's ones from Maritimo were great so it would be great to see a weekly two weekly interview with the various players and perhaps a monthly review from the manager. And perhaps a fans perspective at the matches as in a quick 200-300 word count from a different fan each week, could even turn it into a competition. And more pictures of the matches would be great.

Stewards: Overall do a good a job, seem to be a good group of lads, a few moments during the season but they were resolved.

Your Pictures: They're alright...Only kidding yeah as above I would like to see more added to the website.

Club shop: A new style scarf, maybe a home one and an away one. Other than that I think they have a good variety.

Club programme= Not really into buying programmes tbh but from what iv seen, better than some not as good as others. Needs a bit more behind the scenes articles.

Club website=
    An absoulute joke at times. This is one of the first places potential new fans will look to find out info on the team and they cant even be bothered to write up their own articles on matches. They have a press officer or whatever the title is. Can somebody please tell me what he is being payed for if he aint doing write ups about the club but instead copying and pasting from extratime or the FAI site. Not good enough im afraid. Not enough info about the A champoinship side or the youth side. Why not interviews with some of our young lads coming through. Lets get familiar with the club in its entirety. More behind the scenes stuff. Interview with players, manager, staff, fans. If you keep people coming back to read then they may become more interested in the club. It seems all the club want to do is talk about the community stuff. Now im all for telling us about this but we would like more of the football stuff as well, It is first and foremost a football club. More up to date photos of each match. And update the thing for god sake. I wonder, is Paisley still shown in the squad pictures? How hard is it to take it out.
    How many words per answer was it Paul?:)

Stewards = Basically fine. It does seem at times that they stick to the rules too strictly. The standing up one was a little silly. Not one other ground do the stewards ask fans to sit down in the singing section. Just a little common sense which does seem like it was getting better towards the end.

Facilities (food, sweets, etc) = Fine but the various chip vans that where there changes so much it was hard to tell if it was good or not. Dont really buy much anyway.

My picts :D (would you like to see more on the club website, etc) = Good and definitley would like to see more picts of matches like I said previously and personally I think becuase you are a fan you should sell them to the club at a discount price;):D

Club shop - anything you'd like them to sell that they don't (posters, calendars, etc) = I think the stuff they had this year was quite good. I liked the O Neils gear like the Hoody and Polo shirt (have both) The only thing was they where a bit pricey.

Just a quick comment.

The club website article is generally the original (as far as I know), and the FAI website is updated from the Fingal site.

The "various" chip vans are all the same company. They own a number of vehicles so it depends what is available on the day. Same food, same guys, same company.

All this info is good, and I'll certainly make sure the club read it. Doing something about it is a different matter. :D

Paulw wrote: »
    Just a quick comment.

The club website article is generally the original (as far as I know), and the FAI website is updated from the Fingal site.

The "various" chip vans are all the same company. They own a number of vehicles so it depends what is available on the day. Same food, same guys, same company.

All this info is good, and I'll certainly make sure the club read it. Doing something about it is a different matter. :D

Not true im afraid. I actually stopped going into the site to read about our games because they where the same write ups from elsewhere. I know some where done by the club but far too many where copied and pasted. Ask any fan and they will tell you the same. People actually find out what is happening with the club from here or facebook, more than they do the website. Now thats just silly. Iv heard people laughing out loud at the idea you can get info from the website. Not updated with club info enough or in time.

As for the chip thingy. Fair enough but as i said, I dont really buy anything so I couldnt tell whether they where the same or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

As far as i know its the same chap that writes for our site and then gives it to other sites as well as some papers as well.

The chipper van needs to sort out his burgers and make sure they are cooked through. It could put off a fan from coming back for the next game if they paid a €5 for a burger and its not fully cooked.

If you had a choice where we play next season and on what day and time ,which would you choose from Morton, Tolka or Dalymount ?

Friday or Saturday?

5pm kick off on the saturday or the traditional 7:45 on the friday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Tolka!

Saturday, 3:30 would be lovely!

Why Tolka and 3:30 saturday? What makes these attractive to you?

Tolka Iv always loved, and Saturday anytime between 3 and.. midnight, is really the timeframe in which MOST people would be free from things eg. their own football or kids football. I realise now that this time conflicts with the EPL :/

Just a last bit on the articles. When they use extratimes they will say courtesy of extratime so from what I can see is they are pretty much just copying and pasting the articles from one site to ours. Lazy lazy lazy

Paulw wrote: »
    Guys,

Well, the season on the pitch has ended (for us anyway).

Just curious as to how people view the club - in general terms.

Club programme
    Club website
    Stewards
    Facilities (food, sweets, etc)
    My picts :D (would you like to see more on the club website, etc)
    Club shop - anything you'd like them to sell that they don't (posters, calendars, etc)

A small comment on each would be nice.

The more responses the better. There is interest in the responses.

As for next season, I would prefer to stay in Morton. I hate Tolka. Dalymount would be ok, I guess.

As for time, I like the Fri night football.

Club programme Never had the money on me to buy one, Im afraid.
    Club website Needs to be updated much more, as someone who only started following the club this year, I found it attrocious and got most if not all of my info from this very thread.
    Stewards Never had a problem with them, thought they were very good.
    Facilities Didnt like that toilet we had to use the last few weeks, horrible place. Food is alright, they'd be better off not leaving all the condoments out in the rain though.
    My picts Class, keep em coming.
    Club shop Cant do a better job in my eyes, I got my home jersey for €20 because thats all I had on me, lad servin me was bang on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Club programme I couldnt tell you as Ive never bought one!
    Club website I go to the club Facebook page for up to date info.
    Stewards No problems, though one or two seemed to be on a laughable ego buzz a couple of times, right lamper?? :D
    Facilities Sufficient, though as previously commnented, take some utensils and whatnot in out of the rain.
    My pics Fantastic
    Club shop The range of clothing is excellent, though from a personal point of view I kept asking for some XL clothing for the last month or so of the season with no success. Plus I paid out 45 for a European jersey on the last day of the season. Tangy..I shouldve went up to the stall with you! :)

Just home from Lansdowne, fabulous stadium. Anyone who didnt go for €10 has missed out.

Just home from Lansdowne, fabulous stadium. Anyone who didnt go for €10 has missed out.

Really enjoyed it myself. Great crowd, 36000+ was a great turnout from both clubs and also other LOI fans. Heading in on the day made me realise how jealous I was of both teams and supporters and how I would have loved if it was Fingal. Ah well, maybe next year.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Club programme - its vary good.
    Club website- is awfull, players profiles arent updated, some of this seasons scores in matches were not done, the basics realy, update it all the time and it will be a great website.
    Stewards -
    they all seem decent enough.
    Facilities (food, sweets, etc)-
    all pretty good.
    paul w pics -
    defo get rid of:p only messing, should have way more on the fingal website (maybe thats down to paul charging to much, sort it out paul:D)
    club shop - lower the prices a bit for the jerseys, yeah mayb have posters and calendars for sale.

just to end, it has been a great season for sporting fingal fc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement