Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

paul w pics - defo get rid of:p only messing, should have way more on the fingal website (maybe thats down to paul charging to much, sort it out paul:D)

Yeah, that's what it is. I'm charging too much. :eek: I wish.

But, certainly something I can look at, with the club. :P

Of course, I could just pimp my own site, which has a gallery for each game played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

^Post reported!
    Not really, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Not been on the last few days so here's my input :)
    Programme: So far I've read that nobody usually buys it. From when I was a kid going to GAA or International games a programme from a game i've attended has been a must and I can honestly say if I don't get one i'm rather pissed off :D I've tons at home and more or less all of them from this season, home and the away games I got to (even the slip of paper @ Mervue haha) The club programme in my is shocking. Barring the ground rules and regulations and the managers note the thing is a glorified advertising booklet. Now and again it throws up a match report or a note from someone or other but it really is bad. Comparing it to the Sligo one or the Dundalk one its at the bottom of the ladder.
    Website: I'll be truthfull and say that I don't even bother looking at the website anymore. I get all my info from here or facebook. As stated before, some player interviews, more pics and some more general club info would help.
    Stewards: I get on quite well with a couple of the lads and always get the customary nod or hello from most. I admit some of the moments this season have been a bit silly but I guess they were just doing their job.
    Facilities: I've never bought anything food wise from the ground so I can't comment on that aspect. I know portaloo's cost money and maybe the toilets on the far side are used to save a few quid but the walk over and the general condition is a pain.
    Pics: Paul, great work every game and the updates on facebook are really appreciated. Maybe as has been said, a few more on the site and if possible a few more from the fans. I thought the few u got up this season were great and would really encourage new fans on the fb page or the club site itself.
    Club shop: The 'van' is great in my mind. I know prices are steep for some things but I see it that its quality O'Neills merchandise we buy and be it Fingal or Dublin GAA stuff, its not cheap anywhere. One thing i'd like to see in the shop? FLAGS!!!! My van has been crying out for one all season :D
    As I've said to P.Stu already, I despise Tolka and think the crowd would be lost with the size of Dalymount. Saturday games would help for travelling fans but would unfortunately would rule me out of the majority of games :( I relish friday nights and would hate to see it changed.
    Johnny out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Any time last season when the games where changed from Friday, the attendances suffered. This was the same for other clubs whos games where not on the friday. For what ever reason moving from a friday doesnt seem to improve attendances whoever tries it. I dont think there is a quick fix and hopefully we can build and grow our fan base over time.

Oh and like Viper said, flags would actually be a good thing in the shop. More colour in the stand would be great. (and on Vipers van ;))

Nice to see Sporting Fingal's Freddie the Fox win the MNS Mascots' Race. :D

We won't say who the mascot actually was. :D

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Nice to see Sporting Fingal's Freddie the Fox win the MNS Mascots' Race. :D

We won't say who the mascot actually was. :D

The head falling off didnt help:D

I see the PFAI list is out.

The players no longer under contract -

Alan Kirby Sporting Fingal Midfielder 33
    Kenneth Browne Sporting Fingal Defender 24
    Gary O'Neill Sporting Fingal Forward 28
    Brian Gannon Sporting Fingal Defender 26
    Ollie Cahill Sporting Fingal Midfielder 35
    Glen Crowe Sporting Fingal Forward 32
    Eamon Zayed Sporting Fingal Forward 26
    Colin Hawkins Sporting Fingal Defender 33
    Keith Quinn Sporting Fingal Midfielder 22
    Lorcan Fitzgerald Sporting Fingal Defender 21

Hopefully a few of those will be resigned.

It wasn't Lorcan by any chance Paul was it? I'd recognise that turn of pace anywhere :D
    I think kids and also senior football on a saturday has a major part to play in the attendance drop. That and possibly the EPL being on aswell.

Obviously i'm not there to decide but from the list my definate picks for new contracts would be:
    Kenny, Hawkins, Quinner and Lorcs. Kirby, Gannon and O'Neill are players i'd love to see signed again but I think an influx of youth is much needed in the usual positions they fill. I think Cahill is well past it and was probably a waste of a signing. Zayed in my mind although he scored some vital goals this season, needs to be replaced. Same goes for Glen too i'm afraid.

Quinn got very few games, and I wasn't impressed at all. I wouldn't resign him.

I would resign -

Kirby, Browne, O'Neill, Gannon, Hawkins, Fitzgerald.

Crowe would be a possible, depending on any other striker signing.

Zayed is currently in Libya on national duty, so may also be checking out teams there while in the country.

• Advertisement

I guess it will all depend on the budget we will be working off next year. The only thing I will say is even if we do reduce our budget, we wont be the only side. Baring Sligo, Shams and possible Derry, I dont think other teams would be able to offer players much, so im hoping we could still sign back some of our better players but probably on lower wages. (if the budget is reduced of course).

I would like to see a little more pace up front as conan was really the only player who looked like he could outrun a defender. The left side of the attacking 3 could do with a pacey winger/striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The players in Bold to stay and the others are either getting on a bit or are not good
    enough to play for us

3 Areas that need addressing if we are going to challenge next year are
    A holding Midfielder the likes of Paul Keegan, Mcfaul was very injury prone last year so I think a destruction type of player would be ideal.

A left winger/wing forward. The fact we never really had one person nail down that role last season says it all. Someone direct with pace would be great. Gary McCabe?

Another center forward, a goal scorer who can get us them 15-20 goals a season. Kilduff from UCD is very good but heard he could be going away.

An then in a perfect situation a better GK would be great and another CB to partner Kenny. Hawkins should be kept too but I don't rate Maher at all.

I think we can do without a left winger. If you play two through the middle (two strikers), and 4 in midfield (Finn, McFaul, Williams, and Conan), then leave Conan to run with wing, and the others push through the middle.

We'll definitely be working from a reduced budget. How much it'll be reduced has yet to be decided.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    An then in a perfect situation a better GK would be great and another CB to partner Kenny. Hawkins should be kept too but I don't rate Maher at all.

A better GK? The 2 keepers we have are more than up to the task. Quigley (the one that doesn't wear the white boots, possibly taller than the other lad) got the shout as 1st choice keeper with the U23's and is up there with the best in the league. Clarkey (the one with the white boots, possibly a bit shorter than the other lad) is another outstanding player. Unrivalled distribution of the ball and knows how to organise and control the back 4. I admit there's been mistakes from both this season but thats the life of a keeper and football in general. We probably have the strongest options for GK's in the league and i'd hate to see either of them leave.
    Another centre half? Hawkins was the best person at centre half with Kenny without doubt. Until he went off injured at Maritimo I think we were winning the game. He made a huge impact from the time he signed and i'd love to see the partnership get another season at least. I know Hawkes is getting on but he's one of the most experienced players in the league and is a great asset to have in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I guess it will all depend on the budget we will be working off next year. The only thing I will say is even if we do reduce our budget, we wont be the only side. Baring Sligo, Shams and possible Derry, I dont think other teams would be able to offer players much, so im hoping we could still sign back some of our better players but probably on lower wages. (if the budget is reduced of course).

I would like to see a little more pace up front as conan was really the only player who looked like he could outrun a defender. The left side of the attacking 3 could do with a pacey winger/striker

Its not just players he can out run :D

Thats the turn of pace I recognised ;)

There's a nasty rumour going around - Brendan Clarke is over in Liverpool this weekend. Also, Colly James will be at Old Trafford tomorrow.

You heard it here first. :D

ViperGTS wrote: »
    Quigley (the one that doesn't wear the white boots, possibly taller than the other lad)

Clarkey (the one with the white boots, possibly a bit shorter than the other lad)

I've been requested to clarify an issue here. Clarkey is taller than Quigley. :D

A very important issue, it seems.

Oh, and Clarkey will now not be meeting with Liverpool tomorrow. Instead, he's just going over for a social weekend.

I did use the word possibly. According to wikipedia they're both 6' 1". You can pass that on and get the lads to have this rectified ;)

You can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. :D

I see, from the soccer section, that Gary O'Neill has signed for Shamrock Rovers.

• Advertisement

You can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. :D

I see, from the soccer section, that Gary O'Neill has signed for Shamrock Rovers.

Thats a big loss if true. He is very important to how we play.

Very good signing for Rovers as he will do a lot of the work for twigg. I think it would end up being a very good partnership for them.

Clarky isnt 6ft 1. Closer to 5 ft 11 i would have thought.

What a pity Gary O'Neill is leaving a 4-bed Semi in Swords to be homless and surviving out of a cardboard box in Tallaght.

So is that a car and an apartment we get back then? :)

So is that a car and an apartment we get back then? :)

Plus im sure that means we must have at least 5 to 6 thousand a week freed up from the massive wages we are obviously paying him from all the money we get off the council for holding all those files for them in SF HQ. ;):D

Not forgetting the villa in Spain and the €50,000 watch he got for making more than 10 appearances in a season

Dont forget the Kinseally supporters are having their awards night on the 4rth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Okay - I know I'm dead late but I'd thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth about Matchday etc .

Venue in general: Ok you are a little far from the pitch but generally there is a good view for everyone . Most seats remain dry during any rain and the stand can accomadate the home supporters and often away too . Love the atmosphere when the stand is jam packed .(Sligo game - Bohs - Shels Derby )Parking isnt too bad as if you go a little early you can easily get a free spot near Centra which is only 2 mins away .
    Morton is VERY accesible by car - I'm back in Swords in 10 mins -15 max . I'd hate a move further south . WE MUST STAY IN FINGAL-otherwise there is no point .

Programme - never a big fan of programmes but I have to say ours is very nicely printed seems to have good info - and compared to others I have seen reflects well on the club .

Food : Buy food from van almost every time so I have good experience . The burgers are fab -real homemade full of meat , well worth the fiver . The chips are just ok - frozen ones deep fat fried but absolute robbery at 3.50 at one stage ! Likewise the coffee is ok but 2 euro for a tea??? robbery esp when the sugar is damp !

Club shop - Love the shop -best of staff there and a joy to go to . One gripe. Even though we have "summer football" about four months plus of the season fans could wear a heavy club jacket to games . The club need to bring one back .

Photos - great -well above average. I really admire the guys shooting in torrential rain sometimes.

Stewards - Sorry to say but this is a long running problem . Certain individuals seem to think the fans are a nuisance invading their space that at best should be tolerated and at all times may cause trouble .
    As for banter once while taking my ticket stub a steward said "enjoy the game" but thats about it . This is for someone who has gone to 90% of home games for 2 1/2 years !! . There seems to no positive customer relations policy - in fact an effort seems made to leave a stoney divide between fans and stewards . Sad .

Freddie - a legend - really keeps the kids (and me) amused if the match is a little dull in parts . Sometimes Freddie is worth the ticket price alone!

Toilets - Need to be improved RADICALLY especially if the fairer sex is to be encouraged to go Morton . People in 2010 take top class toilet and nappy changing facilties for granted . This one item may be keeping 150 + people away per game .

Enough ? thought so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

I discover from other forums that John Frost signed for Limerick and Kenny Browne for Waterford. Would be really nice to have this news on our website but it really needs a upgrade and a change of attitude.

• Advertisement

FINGAL FAN wrote: »
    I discover from other forums that John Frost signed for Limerick and Kenny Browne for Waterford. Would be really nice to have this news on our website but it really needs a upgrade and a change of attitude.

Seen that myself. Surprised kenny dropped a division. Great signing for Waterford.

All the best to Frosty as he is one of our longest serving players.

As for the website, I dont think it has had an update in a about a month. Pretty poor by any standards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement