Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Dont take this the wrong way. I only went to a handful of SF games and I am over here in Blanch. I wouldnt feel comfy getting involved with a load of Swords lads, and tbh I dont know where River valley even is. But can just I say that you lads are brilliant. In a lot of ways the club never deserved you as fans if you can pull off a rescue of the name at least and enter a team into a lower level of competition.

Every time i see a post from the indo all that comes up is Blah,blah,blah blah ,blah blah, waffle, waffle, waffle.

Seeing as this is a message board maybe you can tell us whats wrong with the article, factually or whatever? Or don't bother participating and instead go use twitter to your mates who will obviously know what ur talking about... but no, but ye, but no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

And there was me thinking i was the only one from Blanch :)

Seeing as this is a message board maybe you can tell us whats wrong with the article, factually or whatever? Or don't bother participating and instead go use twitter to your mates who will obviously know what ur talking about... but no, but ye, but no

Relax there, its my view on the indo in general. No need for the drama.

Relax there, its my view on the indo in general. No need for the drama.

I thought you had a prob with the article. I was interested in reactions, which is why I posted it. If you just have a problem with the Indo that ok, sorry for the misunderstanding :)

• Advertisement

Part Indo part Article but no probs with the article being posted or with anyone agreeing or disagreeing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

FINGAL FAN wrote: »
    I'm involved in the supporters club in Rivervalley and as Lamper says there is a farewell do in the Rivervalley Community Centre starting at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Conan Byrne wishes to attend to give the players slant on events. All welcome .
    We have also been discussing the idea of our fanbase supporting another team this season.We will take soundings on the idea on Wednesday or on here if anyone has any views.

The fanbase going to support another club really is the final nail in the coffin of SFFC. Or maybe its burying the already firmly nailed coffin.

I must be missing something blatantly obvious, but if the club have no debts, why can't it continue with a new set of players who will play for nothing in the 1st division? Then if the club does make a profit at the end of the year from gate receipts, prizemoney, etc., then it can make a bonus payment to the players at the end of the season. So then you'd be clearly in a position of only paying the wages you can afford, and if that's zero, then its zero. But hopefully in the long run the supporter base could grow, especially when the club actually moves to Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The fanbase going to support another club really is the final nail in the coffin of SFFC. Or maybe its burying the already firmly nailed coffin.

I must be missing something blatantly obvious, but if the club have no debts, why can't it continue with a new set of players who will play for nothing in the 1st division? Then if the club does make a profit at the end of the year from gate receipts, prizemoney, etc., then it can make a bonus payment to the players at the end of the season. So then you'd be clearly in a position of only paying the wages you can afford, and if that's zero, then its zero. But hopefully in the long run the supporter base could grow, especially when the club actually moves to Fingal.

just popped in to get the reaction on here and can i just add cork managed to set themselves up again as a fan owned club.alright its a much bigger fanbase but then again look at the state of where salthill and mervue play their home games surely if ye got a decent pitch somewhere around swords and got yer heads together sporting mark2 could be set up in the a championship for next year or something?however if ye want to go elsewhere come down to united park,we could do with the extra bodies at the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I must be missing something blatantly obvious, but if the club have no debts, why can't it continue with a new set of players who will play for nothing in the 1st division?

To me this is the biggest indictment to thos who claimed the club was set up as a community venture.

If it truly was for the community, the club, and all its branches, could survive and begin to build form the bottom. By taking the decision not to pursue without a competitive budget for the premier division shows that the 'community' angle was just dressing for yet another cynical push for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Dodge wrote: »
    To me this is the biggest indictment to thos who claimed the club was set up as a community venture.

If it truly was for the community, the club, and all its branches, could survive and begin to build form the bottom. By taking the decision not to pursue without a competitive budget for the premier division shows that the 'community' angle was just dressing for yet another cynical push for success.

I totally agree. I asked a while back on here what model the club was based on, no one had a definate answer. Surely the council had studied community based clubs in Europe before going ahead and investing?

Any of the european models I read about such as Norway and France are centred on tight fiscal control and nurturing homegrown part time players, a cap on squad size and a set number of young players in the squad. I think some serious questions need to be asked about the level of input the council had into the off field management of the club and its community activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I think the clubs model was lost somewhere along the line. I think the powers that be where like kids in a candy shop with gannons money. In the first two years we where hearing about plenty of the good work the club was doing and they did, but little by little we heard less and less. On the website itself they where forever talking about the various schemes the club had and where providing but eventually the info coming from the club was not good. Now maybe these schemes where still going but we where not being told much. Cut backs where made to a certain degree but not really on the Playing staff it seems.
    It seems to me that the club was starting to lose the identity it had tried so hard to build. It wasnt sticking to the values it proclaimed at the beginning and we where losing a lot of our original fans from year one and two. We did gain some new ones when we got promotion, thank god and they added greatly to the void of losing the others but in the end we probaly only upped our home support by an average of 50 to 100 (home fans). Now considering that we went up a division this was not really what should have happened. In my mind this seems to show a lot of the support had lost heart. Why I wonder.

The principles the club where founded on where the right ones. Councilors like Alan Farrel, Joe Corr and others (if im not mistaken) had done research into clubs in Norway. Im sure these guys know the in and outs when it came to that side of it. Alan posts here from time to time. There really was an honest attempt from most to build the club and integrate it into the community but as I said, it got lost along the way due to certain peoples misstakes and lack of forward planning it seems and now the staff, players and Fans have no club. The good the club did, may now get forgotten due to the negligence of certain people running the club. Its a shame really.

I still am hopefull that something could be done. There is no reason we couldnt start up in some field somewhere but maybe the appetite is not there. Not sure, time will tell I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

Dub XV wrote: »
    This area as in Ballymun? You would closer to Dalymount than Swords or even Lusk, no?

I'm in Northwood Ballymun Santry. I think I'm about the same distance between Swords and Dalymount. I personally wouldn't go towards Dalyer because I've been a North County resident and most of me mates are there :rolleyes:. That wasnt the point I was making - I was referring to most people who supported the club and they came from Swords.

I am still gutted by the whole thing. Its amazing how someone or a small group of people effed up the whole thing. I am not blaming Gannon or Corr and I think Im not blaming Bucko.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think Im not blaming Bucko.

Why not?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I totally agree. I asked a while back on here what model the club was based on, no one had a definate answer. Surely the council had studied community based clubs in Europe before going ahead and investing?

Any of the european models I read about such as Norway and France are centred on tight fiscal control and nurturing homegrown part time players, a cap on squad size and a set number of young players in the squad. I think some serious questions need to be asked about the level of input the council had into the off field management of the club and its community activities.

Questions was asked at nearly every council meeting. I thought with you being a councilor you would know this. There are a few there that was against Sporting Fingal from day one and tried their best to run it down. I bet Clare Daly is happy now she got what she wanted.

Paulw wrote: »
    Why not?

Well was he demanding too much when the doubts about funding came? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Questions was asked at nearly every council meeting. I thought with you being a councilor you would know this. There are a few there that was against Sporting Fingal from day one and tried their best to run it down. I bet Clare Daly is happy now she got what she wanted.

Corsendonk is a councillor? :confused:

Well was he demanding too much when the doubts about funding came? What do you think?

It's not about what I think, it's about what I know. ;)

Two men ran Sporting Fingal, and called all the shots. They didn't listen to the advice from people in the know. They employed people to do jobs but didn't let them do those jobs properly.

That's the information I have from people employed by Sporting Fingal, but were eventually forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

This is the case alright and this is also what I know.
    Anyone who was trying to make the club cut back on finances was ignored. It was a two man show and then when it became aparent the club was in trouble, it seems instead of the council backing the club with maybe competing at a lower level they jumped ship and left us hanging. Cheers Mr O Brien. Nice sense of community there:rolleyes:
    Iv been reading a few interesting articles in the Fingal Indo and our glorious Councilor Mr O Brien refuses to anwer any questions on the fact the council pulled the the plug. So one of the Fingal two (I like the sound of that:D) Deserted the club right at the death when we needed them. So not only did they gamble with the clubs future but when it didnt work they ran and hid. They brought us on this path, a path the club didnt have to take and in the end where not willing to fight for us. A club which could have kept going. (No Debt remember)

Now before anybody wants to wade in and say the indo had it out for fingal and print miss truths. I might add that the Fingal Ind reported aproximately 3 to 4 weeks ago that the backer from England was not nailed down and that there was serious doubt over whether they would get involved or not (Article validated with quotes from O Brien on the matter). The fingal Indo had it spot on. So lets also get rid of this notion that the finances where suddenly taken away and that the club was suddenly shocked at what happened. The fact is it seems the club knew there was doubt about the finances at the very least and they knew this at least 3 to 4 weeks ago (and in all probability even longer than that) and still brought in players and a new finance manager from pats. Miss management from the outset by the Fingal two

Some people have actually implied to me that by doing what im doing is an attack on the Club. Its not. Its an attack on the people who took our club from us. Iv been here since day one and have done nothing but try and defend the club I loved and I will continue to defend it from the people who hated us to the men who destroyed us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

Well done, and well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is the case alright and this is also what I know.
    Anyone who was trying to make the club cut back on finances was ignored. It was a two man show and then when it became aparent the club was in trouble, it seems instead of the council backing the club with maybe competing at a lower level they jumped ship and left us hanging. Cheers Mr O Brien. Nice sense of community there:rolleyes:
    Iv been reading a few interesting articles in the Fingal Indo and our glorious Councilor Mr O Brien refuses to anwer any questions on the fact the council pulled the the plug. So one of the Fingal two (I like the sound of that:D) Deserted the club right at the death when we needed them. So not only did they gamble with the clubs future but when it didnt work they ran and hid. They brought us on this path, a path the club didnt have to take and in the end where not willing to fight for us. A club which could have kept going. (No Debt remember)

Now before anybody wants to wade in and say the indo had it out for fingal and print miss truths. I might add that the Fingal Ind reported aproximately 3 to 4 weeks ago that the backer from England was not nailed down and that there was serious doubt over whether they would get involved or not (Article validated with quotes from O Brien on the matter). The fingal Indo had it spot on. So lets also get rid of this notion that the finances where suddenly taken away and that the club was suddenly shocked at what happened. The fact is it seems the club knew there was doubt about the finances at the very least and they knew this at least 3 to 4 weeks ago (and in all probability even longer than that) and still brought in players and a new finance manager from pats. Miss management from the outset by the Fingal two

Some people have actually implied to me that by doing what im doing is an attack on the Club. Its not. Its an attack on the people who took our club from us. Iv been here since day one and have done nothing but try and defend the club I loved and I will continue to defend it from the people who hated us to the men who destroyed us.
    Who was the second person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads,

I thinking of jumping on the Bohs supporters bandwagon. I know they are also having debt problems but I need to follow some team this season for my weekly live football fix and they are the nearest club now that Sporting Fingal are finished. Any reasons why I shouldn't follow them or ny encouragement that I should post them here:D

Any feedback from the meeting tonight? I'm curious as to what was said. Feel free to PM, if you don't want to post in public.

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads,

I thinking of jumping on the Bohs supporters bandwagon. I know they are also having debt problems but I need to follow some team this season for my weekly live football fix and they are the nearest club now that Sporting Fingal are finished. Any reasons why I shouldn't follow them or ny encouragement that I should post them here:D

Feel free to support who you want.

It's not about what I think, it's about what I know. ;)

Two men ran Sporting Fingal, and called all the shots. They didn't listen to the advice from people in the know. They employed people to do jobs but didn't let them do those jobs properly.

That's the information I have from people employed by Sporting Fingal, but were eventually forced out.

One of those has to be Bucko because it looked like he got every player he wanted, whenever he wanted them... DESPITE the worries about funds if Gannon pulled out. Well I guess we have our two :mad:. A real shame that two people could run the club into the ground. If this was a plane crash and those two were pilots at least they would go down with it.

Any feedback from the meeting tonight? I'm curious as to what was said. Feel free to PM, if you don't want to post in public.

Please include me on that info. The only thing I WONT do is shift allegiances to Bow-es or Skullbums.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads,

Given this is a thread about Sporting Fingal, for Sporting Fingal fans, I would suggest you seek this advice in the soccer forum ;)

I have a friend who dragged me to the games who was doing a bit stewarding for the SF club. He reads this forum so if I am wrong he will correct me.

He told me that everything was dandy starting off. As time passed one of the "fingal two" behaved like a child if anything went against him. You say the wrong thing and he would ignore you forever and tell others you were a douche etc. My friend had a run in with this person after a game that sounds smallish silly/petty and he would admit that he should have known better than start it. This person ruled the roost and all the ppl around who were stewards were afraid of him. In the end my mate was unceremoniously removed from an e-mail for the Stewards that used to go out from the Council as a bangwaggon gathered on the cup run. He put a lot into that and got pi$$ed on if you pardon my french.

The forum doesnt allow names be named but its been said already and ppl in the know will recognise from the description who that was I am sure. Thankfully I never had the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Great to know you're giving your input to the situation having been dragged to games by a mate that was a steward at games. Bore off and come back when you're info isn't from someone that feels hard done by because of a disagreement with one of the now infamous "Fingal 2". Why are people looking to be pm'd any info from last nights meeting? It wasn't a secret meeting, all info was given out to any one that was prepared to listen. We were given information regarding the final weeks of the clubs life from what I would consider a very honest and in my opinion heartbroken man. Liam basically put the demise of the club down to the fact that we didn't have an owner. We had funding, all be it not on the scale of Gannon but it was money none the less and it would have got the ball rolling. The new investor wasn't prepared to put his name down to ownership of the club for fear of potential losses. It was a what if situation really. Could have made a 100k, could have lost a 100k. What if he lost a million? He wasn't able to back that potential loss. The council weren't going to put their name to a project that could potentially lose them money, mind you it was their project so something went wrong there. I might mention that with John O'Brien being a coinciller, he wasn't prepared to sit there and have the council talked about so he left the room while all questions were asked. The club was told to cease trading by the council! Thats the way I see it. They were the majority share holder without Gannon and not being prepared to take ownership, they pulled the plug. We were told by Conan himself, a man that put his every effort into the club, that Liam could not have done anything more. Liam wasn't the treasurer or one of the 3 commercial managers we had so I can't see how he can be blamed. This project was way ahead in its planning and was stopped in its tracks prematurely by what I can say is a council with underlying issues that they won't care to disclose. I have no fear of naming anyone on this forum so i have aired my feelings. Regarding the sale of Shauny. The club were offered a joke of a fee for a player that was voted Young player of the year. I don't know the exact fee but I think it was less than what was offered for Madden. Celtic knew our financial plight and took advantage of it. Anyone on here that posts is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. Feel free to debate or question what you will.

ViperGTS wrote: »
    Regarding the sale of Shauny. The club were offered a joke of a fee for a player that was voted Young player of the year. I don't know the exact fee but I think it was less than what was offered for Madden.

I believe that the fee was absolutely a farce. I think they made an offer for Shauny and Finn, and that the fee was less than half of what was paid for Madden.

I think that Fingal Co Co were delighted to be able to pull the plug. Too many were against the idea from the start, and failed to see how much good was being done by the club, especially in the schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Although Finn got the call over last summer, he refused. Williams got it later and went straight away so Ronan decided to go aswell. Unfortunately Williams performed better and only a bid for him was put forward. Finn was over with Crystal Palace this week so hopefully something will come of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement