Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC Supporters' Thread - IMPORTANT: Read Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sporting60s

have booked tue 13th dublin-gatwick 7.45am,arrive 9.15am
    gatwick-funchal 1.50pm ,arrive 5.45pm..

fri 16, funchal-gatwick 11.45am,arrive 3.30 pm
    gatwick-dublin,8.55pm, arrive 10.15pm....

ryanair e105 and tap portugal e300
    all taxs and fees included...=e405

no accommodation booked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Killester travel are looking after a few bookings for the supporters. Give Michelle there a ring, she was very good when she helped me yesterday.

Dublin to Lisbon aer Lingus Tues morning
    lisbon to Madeira Air Portugal .

Same back on saturday.

4 star hotel B&b Bia Azul

Transfers

695 euros

Looking for the Dublin gatwick flight but the prices was going up quickly so she rang around and got me through Lisbon. Cant remember the flight times but they are handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

this is the third ****ing time im posting this....urgh is it even in worth it....

basically i was having a look at the seedings
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html

We have a ranking of 1.908, bohs are ranked at 2.908 and pats are 4.041.
    So we could reasonably argue that are ranking is understated given this is our first time (if we are bohs and pats standard well then...).

Maritimo are ranked at 7.659

Irish teams have done very well in the past against much higher ranked opposition, pats last year beat Krylia Sovetov who are ranked 8.024, the year before they beat elfsborg (seeded this year in our round at 7.338) and did very well against hertha berlin (lost 2 nil away but unlucky not to get the win at home, twas a nil all draw) ranked 25.020.

Drogheda the same year were very unlucky to lose out to dinamo kiev who are ranked this year at 42.910.
    Bohs last year narrowly lost out to RB Salzburg (1 all away, an unlucky goal in the dying minutes lost it for them) who are ranked at 19.915, Salzburg had an excellent season both at home (as champions) and in europe. Note the two other austrian teams in our round Austria Wien at 16.915 and rapid wien at 11.915. most LOI fans argue that irish teams at their best could beat scottish opposition (outside the top 2) so note motherwell at 6.158.

Well maybe im looking too deeply at the rankings, obviously it all comes to nought on the day and if theyre inaccurate in defining us then they are probably just as inaccurate for them.
    but it helps give a bit of perspective.
    Yes, they come from a good league and are obviously a good team (brazilian and portugese players could be exciting to watch) but if the other teams can stick it to the european teams, then so can we. If we up our game fot the occasion, a bit of luck, get a draw away (an away goal) and a sneaky win at home then we could be in for something specal!
    We have nothing to fear. As long as we show them we believe in them, have a great atmosphere in dalymount (im thinking lost of giant black flags and ravens!) and they believe in themselves and mirror and out do the other irish teams then who knows eh....?

edit

also further optimism is that the winner of the game is seeded in the next round, so were we to magically win the first round the next round would be relativly easier against opposition closr in rank to us.
    Winning that round puts us in to the last round before the group stages and amazingly tough as it would be we have a good chance of drawing a big team (eng, italian, french, spanish, durch, belgian russian etc).

You are right in saying that we are not without chance in this one because they dont have Ronan Finn ;).

i think if we get seeded in the next round ( if we win ) then it still will be tough no matter who we draw but it may mean we couldnt get drawn against liverpool or juventus. We will find out who our potential opponents will be the day after the first leg as the draw is on the 16th.
    Which would be the better financial outcome for the club if we go through, a winable tie with not much traveling which would mean holding on to a larger chunk of the prize money or get drawn against a big big team in the hope of a bumper crowd and making a few quid on top of the prize money for that round?

Taken from the Rte page.

Sporting Fingal's clash with Drogheda United originally scheduled for Friday 16 July will now take place on Monday 19 July at Morton Stadium with a kick-off time of 7:45 pm.

Fingal's game in Richmond Park against St Patrick's Athleic originally down for Friday 23 July will now take place on Sunday 25 July with a kick-off time of 3:00pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CSMFAN

Killester travel are looking after a few bookings for the supporters. Give Michelle there a ring, she was very good when she helped me yesterday.

Dublin to Lisbon aer Lingus Tues morning
    lisbon to Madeira Air Portugal .

Same back on saturday.

4 star hotel B&b Bia Azul

Transfers

695 euros

Looking for the Dublin gatwick flight but the prices was going up quickly so she rang around and got me through Lisbon. Cant remember the flight times but they are handy enough.

Curious, Hotel Baia Azul is even less than 10 minutes walking from my Apartment in Madeira :-)

I read with attention about the opinion of Fingal fans about Maritimo game, as any fan of any team all have legitimate hopes.

To be honest, and with all respect I think Maritimo will eliminate Fingal, usually Maritimo is in Fingal position, I mean, usually Maritimo face teams more with more experience than Maritimo, and in this kinda competitions, usually the experience its an important upgrade.

But for that Maritimo have to proove in the pitch that they are really favourites, and that depends of the atitude of the players facing Fingal, since Fingal players will be "full" of motivation to play in european competitions,it´s an unique oportunity !

Football is full of surprises, and that´s why is the "king sport" around the world, so who knows if Fingal doesnt surprise Europe ?

What I see Fingal can have an advantage is the fact Maritimo is just in beginning of pre season, and Fingal is performing in League already.

Madeira game will be very important for Fingal hopes, score in away game in european competitions is crucial, and Maritimo in european competitions have good results at home, just losing with top teams:

1993 - Maritimo 2 Royal Antwerp FC 2

1994 - Maritimo 1 Aarau 0

1994 - Maritimo 0 Juventus 1

1998 - Maritimo 1 Leeds United 0

2001 - Maritimo 1 FK Sarajevo 0

2001 - Maritimo 1 Leeds United 0

2004 - Maritimo 1 Glasgow Rangers 0

2008 - Maritimo 0 Valencia 1

In my opinion Irish league is much equilibrated, and after see Dundalk did a draw 3-3 away with a team from Luxembourg, I think will be very very hard to Fingal eliminate Maritimo.

But who knows ?

cheers :-)

Like i said before, they dont have Ronan Finn :)

I read that the hotel is close to Maritimo's ground but how far is it to Nacional's ? Cheap enough in a taxi ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sparky12345678

CSMFAN wrote: »

To be honest, and with all respect I think Maritimo will eliminate Fingal, usually Maritimo is in Fingal position, I mean, usually Maritimo face teams more with more experience than Maritimo, and in this kinda competitions, usually the experience its an important upgrade.

But for that Maritimo have to proove in the pitch that they are really favourites, and that depends of the atitude of the players facing Fingal, since Fingal players will be "full" of motivation to play in european competitions,it´s an unique oportunity !

Football is full of surprises, and that´s why is the "king sport" around the world, so who knows if Fingal doesnt surprise Europe ?

What I see Fingal can have an advantage is the fact Maritimo is just in beginning of pre season, and Fingal is performing in League already.

Madeira game will be very important for Fingal hopes, score in away game in european competitions is crucial, In my opinion Irish league is much equilibrated, and after see Dundalk did a draw 3-3 away with a team from Luxembourg, I think will be very very hard to Fingal eliminate Maritimo.

But who knows ?

cheers :-)

ha yes weill dundalk certainly didnt do our leaue any favours losing the 2 goal lead. Any game in europe for us will be tough. Dundalk have only recently been promoted and havent been in europe in a whie.

That said both apply to sporting fingal. lol
    In terms of experience Zayed was with the drogheda team and Crow with the bohs team for their respective european matches. Obviously Marítimo will be giant favourites they are the seeded team and arefrom the top 12 seeds in the group but irish teams have proven that if they go out with confidence in themselves and belief and passion anything can happen! lol

But like you said anything can happen especially when we irish get ourselves fired up for a scrap ;) lol and we are in season playing tough games (like tonight :s) each week....
    We are becoming known for our creative/positive football so hopefully it will be a good game and nick an away goal draw and well we'll see what happens.

ha yes weill dundalk certainly didnt do our leaue any favours losing the 2 goal lead. Any game in europe for us will be tough. Dundalk have only recently been promoted and havent been in europe in a whie.

That said both apply to sporting fingal. lol
    In terms of experience Zayed was with the drogheda team and Crow with the bohs team for their respective european matches. Obviously Marítimo will be giant favourites they are the seeded team and arefrom the top 12 seeds in the group but irish teams have proven that if they go out with confidence in themselves and belief and passion anything can happen! lol

But like you said anything can happen especially when we irish get ourselves fired up for a scrap ;) lol and we are in season playing tough games (like tonight :s) each week....
    We are becoming known for our creative/positive football so hopefully it will be a good game and nick an away goal draw and well we'll see what happens.

Besides that Fingal will face Maritimo in Nacional Stadium, the stadium of the rivals, maybe they will do some black magic to Maritimo lose there hehe

Like i said before, they dont have Ronan Finn :)

I read that the hotel is close to Maritimo's ground but how far is it to Nacional's ? Cheap enough in a taxi ?

The hotel is in a great zone, its touristic zone, full of Hotels, restaurants, bars, near the sea, near a great promenade, shopping center (Madeira Forum), even near Cristiano Ronaldo Sister's Store (CR7) hehe.

Well I just went once by taxi to Nacional stadium and from downtown, was less than 10 euros, your hotel is about 2 kilometres from downtown, I think will not be much, specially if you are 4 in the taxi, then the cost can be spread.

So the transfers is just between airport - Hotel and Hotel - airport, not included transfer for game ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CSMaritimo

Hey guys. Like CSMFAN, I'm also a Maritimo supporter, and he told me about this thread, so I registered, if you wish any help or tip, feel free to ask.
    Good luck :)

Will you make any of the games ? Welcome to the board.

A friend of mine collects the club badges, is there anywhere i could pick up a Maritimo and National badges ?

Will you make any of the games ? Welcome to the board.

A friend of mine collects the club badges, is there anywhere i could pick up a Maritimo and National badges ?

I'm studying in Lisbon, so I'll try to attend the game in Madeira Island, at least.

Concerning the badges, it's really easy to do that, you can buy from the official store, or maybe you can trade with some CSM supporter.

BTW, is there a way any1 of you would like to switch scarfs in the end of the game?

Cheers, and sorry for my English.

Cheers,

I'll get a scarf for you.

Im flying in through Lisbon and ive 2 hours between flights, would i need to change terminals and if so is it handy enough time wise ?

Cheers,

I'll get a scarf for you.

Im flying in through Lisbon and ive 2 hours between flights, would i need to change terminals and if so is it handy enough time wise ?

It's really simple, all you have to do is change from terminal 1 to terminal 2. There is a free BUS that will take you to the correct terminal, it's simple and problems free :)

Thanks for the scarf.

Cheers, you might get a shirt as well if you are lucky :)

LAST NEWS ABOUT SPORTING FINGAL OPPONENT: C.S.MARITIMO (Portugal)

160px-CS_Mar%C3%ADtimo_Venezuela.JPG

Guimarães - 0 Maritimo - 2

"Red-green"indicators provided a positive test that showed interesting details

Maritimo wins and makes good indications in Guimaraes

In the second match against Guimaraes in a short space of a week, Maritimo won, after both teams were tied (0-0) in the first meeting held in Ofir.
    At the official presentation of Vitoria Guimaraes, Mitchel van der Gaag presented the stronger "eleven" at this moment what it becomes important to gain form for the game of July 15 with Sporting Fingal, the first leg of their second qualifying round of the Europa League.
    The team that played from the beginning it might even be an outline of what the Dutch coach has in mind to officially start the season.
    Maritimo went stronger than your opponent, requiring toughness and determination, always in tune to counter-attack.
    After only two minutes, a good combination between Marquinho and Baba, provided a Nilson a good save.
    Surprised by the strong entry of madeirian team, Guimarães has a goal after just five minutes, in a move that Kanu crossed and Baba with head did not forgive.
    Guimarães entered stronger on second half, but with the goal of Maritimo, at 65 minutes, obtained by the newly entered Fidelis, the team returned to take control of the game until the end, enjoyed the best opportunities that it provided.

D. Afonso Henriques. Stadium

Referee Cosme Machado (Braga),

the teams lined up:

Vitoria Guimaraes (0): Nilson, Alex, Freire, Ricardo Bruno, Flavio, Edson, Renan, Bebe, William and Maranhão

Played also: Serginho, Victor Bastos, Valdomiro, Ostolaza, Douglas, Rui Miguel Moreno, Pereirinha, Joao Ribeiro, Custodio, and Edgar Anderson,

Maritimo (2): Marcelo, Briguel, John William Robson, Alonso, Balu, Roberto Sousa, Kanu, Marquinho, Baba and Djalma

Played also: Peçanha Gonzalo Luís Olim, Cherrad, Luciano Amaral, Tchô, Ricardo Esteves, Fidelis, Sapin, Roberge.

Goals: Baba (5), Fidelis (65).

Mitchell pleased with the players' attitude

Mitchell Van der Gaag was pleased with the performance of the team on friday´s night in Guimaraes.
    The coach of Maritimo devalued the victory, praising the attitude.
    "I was pleased with the game that the team did, but the result is not very important. The most important was the attitude of the players and the fact theyl have trained well in recent days, "he explained.

For the foreseeable future, the Dutch perspective that the team "continues to work well, taking into account the objective that is the Europe League games," he said.

1.JPG

Marafona for four years

Goalkeeper signed from Varzim is a bet to the future. Maritimo had interest since last season.

Goalkeeper Marafona, 23, is one of the latest new players of Maritimo, having signed for four seasons. Main keeper of Varzim in the last two seasons, Marafona realizes the Jump into the league and a club that followed him for some time to hire him. Good relations between Maritimo and Varzim favored this transfer was negotiated and closed in less than a week and may involve compromise of athletes to the emblem of II League.

The immediate future for a place in goal ahead of Maritimo will not be easy for the goalkeeper in the face of hard competition offered by Brazilian Marcelo and Peçanha.

Marafona.jpg

Adilson (ex Feirense) sign for Maritimo

Adilson, Brazilian forward 28 years ex-Feirense player, will be player of the Maritimo in next four seasons.

Adilson came to Portuguese football season 2008/09 to join the club of Santa Maria da Feira. Scored nine goals in 31 games.

It is the eighth new player of "green-rubles" for the new season.

Adilson_CDF-Trofense.jpg

Position: Forward
    Height: 192 cm
    weight: 88 kg

Career:

2009/2010 Feirense (Portugal)
    2008/2009 Feirense (Portugal)
    2007/2008 Botafogo-SP (Brazil)
    2006/2007 Vilnius (Lithuania)
    2005/2006 Vilnius (Lithuania)
    2004/2005 URT (Brazil)

Danilo Dias arrives for Maritimo
    Forward from Brazilian Ipatinga

Is discovered one more reinforcement for Mitchell van der Gaag.
    This is Danilo Dias who represented the Ipatinga, Brazil in the series B, and should arrive tomorrow to Ofir. A Forward who inlast season where he served in Uberaba Sport appointed 19 goals.

"A week ago they talked to my manager but yesterday reached agreement. It is a sign that my work was also positive in Ipatinga (in the Tigers have appointed six goals this season)," said Danilo to JM Sports.

OgAAAJPHNoUMqHg18hRQGleFvqjNQUKV6faW_4w8-LFMTmRhlCMf3ThHw4w3_tb08pnr_N6fsBVOazihzrK0k67dWusAm1T1UMpoXgl6bTUkUinUIofV4NmSrDqj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

A new thread!! :eek:

i was wondering where the hell everyone went.
    Has anyone gone down to the credit union in swords to see what the crack was with this little ''sporting fingal supporter loan'' thing for the trip??
    I know im pretty broke and wouldnt be able to afford it, the problem is (and now that ive said im broke this sounds stupid) im working non-stop on these damm night shifts, finish to early to sit outside the place, start too late to head down before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Looks like a lovely evening for a game, as long as the rain stays away. I see they have now moved the away support to under the press box, near the toilets and food. The home faithful have now been moved over to beside where the players come out, at the half way line. A good move, I think.

I see there's movement in the club.

Club captain, Stephen Paisley has left the club.

Fingal have also signed Colin Hawkins (to replace Paisley). An interesting signing. He's a big bloke, and will certainly fill the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

How long will Hawkins last is my question :rolleyes:

Until the end of the season, at least. He's been very keen in training this week, and is hoping to get a start tomorrow night. He's available for selection. I was up at training today, to get a few picts. He looks handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Won't make it out tomorrow night but i'll be looking forward to see how he gets on. With Maher out the last few games I think Kenny hasn't been his usual self. Hawkins in a really dominant player and has no bother throwing himself about.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

sorry to see stephen leave the club, as Liam sad he helped us win the FAI cup and get us promoted to the premier division, he'll be missed.

but he wants to further his career in the Financial Services sector and i wish him the best in his career. ( try and sort our countries finances out if you get a chance and come to the fingal matches as a fan, you know when and where we play:))

Great game tonight. Can't believe it was ONLY 3-0. Fingal were all over them. Should have been a lot more.

I must say, Hawkins played well and controlled the back.

Also good to see players get a rest and prep for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A couple of foreign bookies have priced up Fingal at 10/1 to win away to Maritimo. I suspect that might grow a bit larger when other bookies finally put up their own prices. Weird seeing us getting priced up in the Europa League :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

more money for us to collect:D

Thats a a big price and suggests that we havent a chance. Its worth a tenner at that price.

more money for us to collect:D

I made a bet for 10 euros on Fingal to win. At least, if my team loose, I cash some money.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sporting60s

i hear we have signed ollie cahill,great signing if true,left full and left mid covered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement