Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Princess and The Daisy

• 06-06-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

A snap I got of my daughter during a match yesterday. C&C welcome.

4672467552_133534e680.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh, saw this originally on my phone - no time to add c&c from there.

In terms of c&c - Principally, imho the crop on your daughter is aesthetically incorrect. So hence, I think you need to simplify further by getting in very close and altering the position of the outstretch hand with the daisy of your daughter to compensate accordingly.

As a suggestion, you could have gone for a very narrow focus on the daisy with your daughters face visible but out of focus though, I suspect the daisy may not be prominent enough.

Also, as is - i'm not sure the angle creates an interesting perspective, so you could try vary it and shoot higher or get right down to the ground shooting lower.

If you don't fancy simplifying then, i'd suggest going wider and encapsulating more of your daughter (full length) in a similar pose. This would at least give a little more of the context.

It is a nice image but probably one that would you would consign to a nice personal memory to have a look back on in years to come.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Thanks CathDubh.

In terms of the photo is was a point and shoot. I was taking shots of a hurling match at the time. She is not one for taking staged shots as she overdoes her smile and facial expressions for photos. She was playing with one of the other kids when i caught her.

Hadn't time to get focus on the daisy but agree with your comments. If only I could get it staged and her looking with a naural facial expression !!!.. The joys of photographing kids. Thats why I stick to sports. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Balfey1972 wrote: »

She is not one for taking staged shots as she overdoes her smile and facial expressions for photos. She was playing with one of the other kids when i caught her.

I have the same problem with our 6yr old. She forces her smiles too much and ends up almost gurning :D So i try to catch her more candidly.

I like this picture, it has a natural joyous feel about it. As you say, it's not forced, and that comes across I think. I would agree a higher perspective might have worked better, but there's little wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Don't want to sound like I'm sucking up but AnCatDubh always gives great C&C!

That sounds rude now...

It's all a matter of opinion. he gives good advice but I wouldn't always agree with some of the more nit-picky points. but if we all agreed all the time we'd all shoot the same shots ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

That's the best part though - I don't always agree with people on here but when they describe their points well then I can consider them properly and possibly learn something (and often do).

I do agree. At times I'm wary of posting stuff for C&C because you will always get the odd bitter and unhelpful post. But in general I think you get good advice on here. But it is also good to get varying views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

thats the whole thing with c and c your gonna get the bad comment but sure every one has there own taste. so what if a photo looks crap as long as the photographer likes it thats all that matter. Unless its for a wedding or something your getting paid to take good pictures for.

Advertisement