Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lear help

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I need Advice on my lear, I did an essay a few weeks ago on lear's daughters and got it back the other day w/ a B. But everytime i go to leanr any of my learn character notes i start having a panic attack. I know my poetry and comparetive really well, but how do i get around lear, there so much to learn and so little time??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Strt with learning who's who, who does what and the general order of tat happens in the play, and some quotes.

For most Lear essays you can more or less get away with slightly jay summarising the play as long as at the end of each paragraph you link it to the question.

That's what I do anyways, but then again i'm not the best at english

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

DGRulz wrote: »
    I need Advice on my lear, I did an essay a few weeks ago on lear's daughters and got it back the other day w/ a B. But everytime i go to leanr any of my learn character notes i start having a panic attack. I know my poetry and comparetive really well, but how do i get around lear, there so much to learn and so little time??

Here is what I would say you need to know.

1 The order of events of the play.

2 The major themes

3 Lear's own personal transformation

4 Imagery

5 The Tragic Process

This is what I'm learning anyway and I think I'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

DGRulz wrote: »

Im in the same boat as urself!!!
    If you are really panicing, I would advise watching this new re-make of king lear
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/king-lear/watch-the-play/487/
    I watched it with my book open and high-lighted the key quotes and general important parts. Its quite long but you really get the main points revised!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

im the same!!!! i have no idea what im gunna do :(
    i just wanna do themes cause i like writing about them but have no clue what ones to do !!!

I don't really know much about imagery in the play...I should be covered knowing just characters (minus the Fool...) and themes though right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Im in the same boat as urself!!!
    If you are really panicing, I would advise watching this new re-make of king lear
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/king-lear/watch-the-play/487/
    I watched it with my book open and high-lighted the key quotes and general important parts. Its quite long but you really get the main points revised!!!

Ah I just finished watching that this morning! Its SHOCKINGLY long! 3 hours! Did an hour a day with my book open and it definately has made the order of events clearer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

Conor108 wrote: »
    Ah I just finished watching that this morning! Its SHOCKINGLY long! 3 hours! Did an hour a day with my book open and it definately has made the order of events clearer :)
    oh stop, its seriousely long and unreal boring towards the end. Your man playing Lear takes about 10 mins to say a few lines, your just like hurry up!!! haha...it is very helpfull tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

I don't really know much about imagery in the play...I should be covered knowing just characters (minus the Fool...) and themes though right?

The imagery i did was pathetic fallacy in the storm, lear giving away his crown and the fools imagery splitting the egg to symbolise the crown, insight after the loss of eyesight and the wheel of fortune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yup. My teacher in the institute was really imagery though, just to let you know:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

1. sibling rivalry
    2. love as a redemptive force
    3. journey of lear
    4. suffering

• Advertisement
Advertisement