Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storing music collection online

• 06-06-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit sick of having to hook up my external HD to listen to my music, and as I'm 99% connected to wireless when I'm using my laptop I think it would make sense to upload my music onto a remote server. This would mean I'd be able to stream it whenever I want, have the added security of a tertiary storage method, and not have to use my external HD all the time (which is dangerous in itself in case I damage it in transit or from repeated use or whatever - it's my main backup)

I presume there are sites out there that do this. What's important is the ability to download the music in future and not just have it accessible through a stream. Does anyone know where I can go to set this up? I don't mind paying a fee if it means piece of mind or ease of use. I have about 30gb of music at the moment.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

An alternative would be to plug it into a desktop somewhere in the house and have it constantly shared on the drive. If you're willing to pay anyway, put the money towards a dedicated computer you can leave on (even if it is crap). It would be a little more difficult to get it if you're out and about though but only a bit.

I can't see there being many of these services tbh as people would use them to share music rather than just use it for themselves and it'd be hard (as i've said above) to implement it in such a way that would work with normal programs that would look for music on the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a larger drive for your laptop?

You can hardly have THAT much music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

wolfric wrote: »
    An alternative would be to plug it into a desktop somewhere in the house and have it constantly shared on the drive. If you're willing to pay anyway, put the money towards a dedicated computer you can leave on (even if it is crap). It would be a little more difficult to get it if you're out and about though but only a bit.

I can't see there being many of these services tbh as people would use them to share music rather than just use it for themselves and it'd be hard (as i've said above) to implement it in such a way that would work with normal programs that would look for music on the hard drive.

That's an idea but I'm moving between home and college and studio, hence the idea of having it off site.

Working with programs isn't a necessity - I'm used to iTunes but I don't think I need to be. I'll do some research and report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your first problem is you seem to only have one back up. If you had a drive in both places you'd have two back ups, and no need to carry it around. Theres lots of ways to share your music. You can get drives with ethernet that can plug into your wifi. Or just use a old PC as a server. I think the latter is most useful.

Advertisement