Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Suck, help!

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was fishing yesterday evening on the river Suck, not far from Athleague. There was spent mayfly and other small fly on the water. I could see a few rises so i thought i was in for a good hour or two fishing. I finaly hooked into one after a few missed takes to reel in (quite easily) a small roach. The water level was on average knee high and there was a nice flow. As it looked like a good place for Trout, but there only seemed to be Roach along the run. Is it common for roach to take the fly?? :confused:
    Has anyone fly fished the suck around that area or know a good spot for trout???
    I know that it is mainly a coarse fishing river but I know that there are trout in parts of the river.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

All fish feed on flies pretty much!! Especially mayfly time. All fish go on a feeding bonanza during MayFly!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Roach take flies, but nymphs a bit more.
    Rudd are more surface oriented - I catch many rudd each summer while trout fishing as they seem to participate in the evening rise alongside the trout. Sometimes I go out targetting the rudd specifically.
    rudd04.jpg
    Could it have been a rudd that you landed?

Ahh yes you do get a good few rudd of the surface as they've got those upturned lips. They love buzzers too :-)

I never mind catching rudd, cracking fish they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Ya, looked a bit like that but, lets say not as a round shape as the pic. The one I got was barely the length of my hand, so I didn't spend much time looking closely. I just expected it to be a roach as they are everywhere in our waterways!!!!. Maybe if i go out again one evening soon, i wil solve the mystery...:rolleyes:
    Tks. lads

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fishder

Iwas fishing the suck a few weeks back for pike and there was a good hatch off mayfly same thing roach or rudd feeding like hell on them there used to be good trout fishing on the suck many years back but the roach took over now I fish for roach and pike one fish is as good as the next.

Advertisement