Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I climbed the Reek yesterday...and aside from wondering about the sanity of some of the people there (bare feet, runners, platforms!, etc) I'm also wondering if anybody has climbed it from the Ben Goram side? The traditional route is very eroded and if I try it again I'd consider going up from the western side.

It doesnt look as steep as the "pilgrim's route" but is possibly a bit longer, but then I'm just judging it from a cloudy view from the summit and an OS map....

Any information gratefully received.

E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

exaisle wrote: »
    I climbed the Reek yesterday...and aside from wondering about the sanity of some of the people there (bare feet, runners, platforms!, etc) I'm also wondering if anybody has climbed it from the Ben Goram side? The traditional route is very eroded and if I try it again I'd consider going up from the western side.

It doesnt look as steep as the "pilgrim's route" but is possibly a bit longer, but then I'm just judging it from a cloudy view from the summit and an OS map....

E

have a goo at mountainviews.ie i would say the different approaches are listed there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

duckysauce wrote: »
    have a goo at mountviews.ie i would say the diiferent approaches are listed there

http://mountainviews.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah the entire ridge is a good walk in either direction. You will need to do a car split or somesuch obviously. I prefer to do it East to West as it is easier on the knees.

Not my favourite walk to be honest, there is a level of ignorance on Croagh Patrick that you don't get when you are on hills that are frequented only be hillwalkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

hmmm wrote: »
    Not my favourite walk to be honest, there is a level of ignorance on Croagh Patrick that you don't get when you are on hills that are frequented only be hillwalkers.

Ah...that would be the Matt Talbot School of Sado-Masochism....idiots traipsing up and down in bare feet wondering why it hurts so much...although the women in heels (I kid you not!) take the biscuit.

There was a very disappointing amount of litter to be seen. I wish these holy joes would take their rubbish home with them.

If anybody is considering climbing Croagh Patrick, I would strongly advise bringing a stick or a walking/trekking pole (or even two). These are invaluable, particularly on the descent.

E

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lukem

Am thinking of dragging a stag party up the Reek via the ridge walk approaching from the West. Am I mad?

• Advertisement

In a word, yes.

Given that its a stag party, alcohol will most likely have been consumed on the way. This isnt a mountain to f**k with. There is too much chance of serious injury occuring and if somebody gets hurt anywhere near the summit it will take the best part of three hours for help to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

In a word, yes.

Given that its a stag party, alcohol will most likely have been consumed on the way. This isnt a mountain to f**k with. There is too much chance of serious injury occuring and if somebody gets hurt anywhere near the summit it will take the best part of three hours for help to arrive.

Completely agree with this! Unless it's a completely sober stag party, but what are the chances of that....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Ditto, not a good place for a stag. Dingle would be good, there's a rock climbing wall there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is lots of good surfing near Croagh Patrick. Usually its easier to keep people off the sauce if they are in the sea than if they are wandering up a hill. I am not sure about how the surfing is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

I'm also wondering if anybody has climbed it from the Ben Goram side? The traditional route is very eroded and if I try it again I'd consider going up from the western side.

E

The Ben Goram route is much easier, especially as a way to come down. You should also stumble upon the trial holes which are a throwback from the gold expedition in the 80's. I only learnt last week that they intended that to be an open cast operation. Can you imagine?

The fastest route up is via Owenwee (off the Leenane Rd). There is a Mountain Rescue station there which is used every July for Reek Sunday. Setting off from there you'll be on the summit in just over an hour.

osprey wrote: »
    Setting off from there you'll be on the summit in just over an hour.

You dont know how unfit I am....but thanks for the info re Owenwee.

I'll probably head back there around (but not on) Reek Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

You dont know how unfit I am....but thanks for the info re Owenwee.

I'll probably head back there around (but not on) Reek Sunday.

Last Reek Sunday the Gardai cordoned off the Owenwee Rd for the sake of the Mayo Mountain Rescue and emergency services. I don't think you can get down there that day unless you are local traffic.

Advertisement