Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this soil too stony to rotavate?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice from those of you who have used rotavators.

I've dug my garden over to break up the heavy soil a bit and remove large stones with the intention of rotavating and levelling it, then putting down turf.

The soil appears to be mostly clay - don't think there's much/any topsoil there (so might have to get some of that before putting down the turf).

I've attached some pictures of the garden. It rained here last night which has shown up a lot of the stones still present in the soil.

I've removed most of the larger stones, but there's still a lot left in there. Would a rotavator be able to handle these, or might they break it?

Thanks for any advice.

Pictures: (click the thumbnail for original size)

img2703r.th.jpg
    (Those two boulders on the left hand side were removed from the soil)

img2704o.th.jpg

Some of the stones and other debris I removed from the soil (bucket and chair excepted).

img2709p.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'd reckon a 5 Horsepower + Rotovator should be well able to tackle the area.

Some observations on the garden layout:

-I think you're ambitious expecting your shrubs you grow in such a narrow ( 400mm or less) line along perimeters - is it not posssible to provide additional widths (600-900mm)? I realise you are probably trying to maximise lawn area?

- why go for such a straightline layout? Would you not consider incorporating a different angle which tappers towards rear and help create a longer or stretched perspective?

- pity the garden shed is in such a dominant foreground position which also restricts significantly view of garden. What time of day was the photo taken? A very sunny site, but still I would have positioned shed at opposite end of site and incorporated the planting layout as to almost conceal shed.

- colour of fencing is very dominant and the whole post and panel look is alittle strong. Consider changing fence colour to dark green, more restful, compatible with broader planting hues which would probably mean or demand less planting but still provide an excellent backkdrop for plants with stronger colours/forms.

- Much nicer to see sweeping lawn/planted margins.

Anyways best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Thanks for your comments.

It mightn't look like it, but the side borders are actually 600mm wide, and the back border is 750mm. I suspect that digging over the proposed lawn area has caused the edges to become obscured.

The photos were taken just after 12pm today. It's a very sunny site alright - for most of the day the only shaded part of the garden is the left hand border.

I am considering moving the shed to the end of the garden on the right hand side, but that will have to wait until autumn/winter so the shrubs there can be moved without killing them.

I know design is rather plain, but I am not that artistically minded and unfortunately can't afford to pay someone to design it for me. I will bear your suggestions in mind though, and hopefully come up with something better. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I suggest you acquire lots of humus rich material. compost is best but whatever bulky biodegradable material you can lay your hands on. Then rotavate this through what appears to be a high clay soil. Otherwise you will have a nice bog garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Would a layer of topsoil mixed in be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Some photos of before and after to illustrate some of my earlier points on layout, fence colour, position shed etc etc

0022.jpg

011-470x352.jpg

003-470x352.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Some photos of before and after to illustrate some of my earlier points on layout, fence colour, position shed etc etc

Have to say that is the most gorgeous layout. Love the colours of the garden and particularly the lawn shape.

Advertisement