Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnighter in XGC

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to one of the guys in XGC about the possibility of doing a 12 or 24 hour session in XGC.

He says that we might be able to get a discount on the price if we do something for charity. He seemed to think we might be able to get the discount even if we did half charity/half evo money.

So would anybody be interested in doing an overnighter in XGC for the purpose of raising some charity money and getting some money to pay back Chunkis/Doom or even give Liquidswords some spending money?

I don't have full details yet but I just wanna gauge interest. I was thinking some time in the next two weeksish so throw up the kinda days/dates you would like to see.

Also throw up any charity you want to donate to. Dreddy mentioned that their was a charity that buys games for kids in hospital. That sounds good to me so if anyone knows the name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Crumlin Children's hospital is usually pretty underfunded.
    https://www.cmrf.org/ is their charity website address.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I spoke to Crumlins hospital late last year about something very similar (running a gaming event to raise funds for the hospital), but real life stuff got in the way.

I would be very interested in helping with this. I even came up with a name for it...Childs Play. That was until I found out that there is a charity with that name that does the same thing in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

When i did an overnighter with IT Tallaght GamesSoc before it was 20 euro per head, and 20 people went. 24 hours would be way too mch, trust me. Most people barely survive 12 hours 10pm-10am. That's usually the best one to go for, and usually the best one XGC agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I'd be well up for this. 24 hours may be a bit much though. Maybe go with 12 seeing as it'll be the first event we run of this kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Ye this sounds good. I'd be up for it. 12 hours would be the right lenght as its our first time at this event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'd be up for this but i'm not sure about an all night event. Not worth messing up the body clock for :eek:

Maybe it could coincide with the day of champions so there will be a wide selection of games to play in the event of getting bored with other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

animaX wrote: »
    Not worth messing up the body clock for :eek:

Take some crack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

animaX wrote: »
    I'd be up for this but i'm not sure about an all night event. Not worth messing up the body clock for :eek:

Maybe it could coincide with the day of champions so there will be a wide selection of games to play in the event of getting bored with other games.

I can see the concern, which is why I'm asking if people if they'd be interested.

As for games, I'd be bringing along every game I can muster, run some tournaments throughout the night and I was thinking we could run some fun events as well.

One I was thinking was name the character based off a song from the SF2. I'm sure we can come up with other better games but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Orim wrote: »
    I can see the concern, which is why I'm asking if people if they'd be interested.

Maybe run it from 6pm or something so that (old) people like me can hang out for a while but still get to bed at a decent hour while the night owls can hang out till the early hours?

But, whatever the general consensus is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My main concern was if I was awake at 10AM to come to XGC for 12 hour event, I'd be knackered, pretty much would be awake for 24 hours or more. If it starts late I can sleep all day then catch the late bus up, so it's like a normal day for me at XGC but in reverse

• Advertisement

I don't have the exact details yet. Maybe xinkai can tell us what kinda of times the ones he has been at ran for.

I was also thinking a stream (for shoutouts and puttings people on blast) and maybe a paypal donation system. I don't know how hard/easy these would be to set up but we'll see if we can get it off the ground first.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

I'd be up for this depending on the dates and stuff

I'd be up for this depending on the dates and stuff

What kind of dates would work for you? And what's the stuff?

I need you guys to give me as much detail as possible because I imagine this will be something only a few of us will be available for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Terry unfortunately it'd have to be an all nighter as that's how its run in these places. The whole place is rented out to us for the night, they couldn't do that during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

Orim wrote: »
    What kind of dates would work for you? And what's the stuff?

I need you guys to give me as much detail as possible because I imagine this will be something only a few of us will be available for.

Sorry I just meant in case something came up that I couldn't miss, an exceptional circumstance, nothing you should need to worry about.

Um as far as i know, you need to tell the staff 2 weeks in advance, they will only do fri-sat nights and that they won't take the offer if there is less than 20 people. The one's i've been to, you can bring any console, any games, you can get games from downstairs etc. But you cannot use the PC's downstairs. You can also bring any amount of food you want, but no alcohol. There is a staff member downstairs at all times, he won't disturb us, he'll watch a few movies on the PC's downstairs. For smokers you can go out for a ciggy just ask him, you can leave at any time also. All that's asked, don't break anything, & be out before opening time. AKA the 10AM time. Also i've been talking to Linoud apperently his college's games soc is trying to set up an all nighter too, so if people are interested i can talk to him about possibly merging the 2 groups AKA us & the college into making 1 big over nighter? If anyone wants to ask me a few questions that i can either answer myself, or pass onto Linoud seeing as how he arranges the all nighters i'll be glad to ask/answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

As long as Linoud is cool with doing the charity/evo thing with the money Xinkai, I don't think there'd be a problem with that.

I don't think he does it for charity, he more does it for entertainment/college purposes, but to make numbers people ho don't go to his college go too, at the last 12h one, there was 10 people from college, 15 who were just friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

An all nighter in XGC? Yeah I'd definately be up for that. I've done all nighters in internet cafe's in town plenty of times over the years and they are always great craic.

So sign me up anyway. Work permitting ofcourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I would be very interested in helping with this. I even came up with a name for it...Childs Play. That was until I found out that there is a charity with that name that does the same thing in the US!

Child's Play was pretty famously set up by the guys who run the webcomic Penny Arcade, in direct response to an article about how gamers are nothing but a bunch of prostitute killing psychopaths.

If you could donate video games to Crumlin and somehow get approval from the PA guys for the activity to be an official "Child's Play: Dublin" thing, you could get massive massive press of the back of Penny Arcade (a website so big that most sites they link to break under the traffic pressures).

Not quite so sure about an all-nighter myself. XGC gets kind of.... sweaty.

If you want to tie this to charity though, I heavily recommend talking to Child's Play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Good stuff Prinny

If this went down I'd deffo try my best to bring a fan with me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im in!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I'm in :p

Right, spoke to Andy the owner about the overnighter for yourselves. He is willing to give a discount and it doesn't necessiarly need to be for charity.

So I worked out some pricing for yourselves. As I said it's all dependant on the number of people you get:

40+ people = €12pp with a bottle of coke free

30+ people = €15pp with a bottle of coke free

20+ people = €18pp with a bottle of coke free

We can accomodate any night during the week or the weekends and can also arrange for food from our Chinese/Thai restauraunt, however we would need to know in advance if you would like to avail of the service. The food is excellent and the price is very reasonable.

We can also guarantee no interruptions from the travelling community.

There's the info, looks like we could do full on to get money for the EVO ticket. I'm getting times at the moment.

So lets get numbers down and let start bashing dates out. I'm free anytime after tomorrow I think. I would say it would have to be soonish and preferably before the the weekend of the 19th for me.

19th sounds grand i'll inv some friends if it's ok to make up numbers too.

It's 10 till 10 but we may be able to get it to 9 till 9 if some people want to come in for a couple of hours (make up numbers) and then get last bus.

So far I'm counting about 10 people and however many Xinkai can bring. We need moar people.

Oh and as regards the heat, it would nowhere near as bad. There wouldn't be as many people, we would have the full area to use and it would be night instead of a scorching day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm in.

Can we bring booze? :pac:

Jim wrote: »
    I'm in.

No booze :( We could hit an early house afterwards though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im old and there's no way I'd last the night but I'd certainly try and show for a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Jim wrote: »
    I'm in.

Apparently, you get supplied with Coke....

Advertisement