Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a student account

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Was off the banking radar for a year because I became unemployed, then I closed my account with Ulster bank a huff over an overseas bank draught that my uncle asked me to cash for a boat he wanted to sell. Long story short, it turned out that they were Nigerian scammers or something and it cost me 50 quid.

I have been with Ulster Bank since I started my working life, but i wont go back to them, which bank do you think is best to go with for my new student account, or is there any difference? I can't see one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hey guys,

Was off the banking radar for a year because I became unemployed, then I closed my account with Ulster bank a huff over an overseas bank draught that my uncle asked me to cash for a boat he wanted to sell. Long story short, it turned out that they were Nigerian scammers or something and it cost me 50 quid.

I have been with Ulster Bank since I started my working life, but i wont go back to them, which bank do you think is best to go with for my new student account, or is there any difference? I can't see one.

So someone tried to scam you and the bank saved you a loss and its their fault :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd not be opening any Student A/c now. The banks have not finalized there offers so best to wait till Aug/Sept to see whats on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

So someone tried to scam you and the bank saved you a loss and its their fault :rolleyes:
    I think that if it costs €50 to find out whether a bank draught is real or not you should be at least told that it costs €50.

I was not told, when I did say something to the manager about it - she said that I would have been told and defended said employee that was in at the time. after I pointed him out she snubbed me and said well thats the cost. Even though i had been with the bank for over 8 years and was not lying.

My Uncle gave me back the money but that is beside the point it shouldn't have costed anyone I was not previously warned of a charge so I should not have incurred one.
    Anyway, I'd not be opening any Student A/c now. The banks have not finalized there offers so best to wait till Aug/Sept to see whats on offer.
    Thanks i'll keep an eye out

I think that if it costs €50 to find out whether a bank draught is real or not you should be at least told that it costs €50.

I was not told, when I did say something to the manager about it - she said that I would have been told and defended said employee that was in at the time. after I pointed him out she snubbed me and said well thats the cost. Even though i had been with the bank for over 8 years and was not lying.

My Uncle gave me back the money but that is beside the point it shouldn't have costed anyone I was not previously warned of a charge so I should not have incurred one.

Thanks i'll keep an eye out

UB would have sent the Chq on a collection basis. This is to get the chq 100% cleared and give you piece of mind. You should have been informed of the charges, but the normal UB charge is 6.35. The rest would be made up of agent charges from the other bank, so totally out of the control of UB again this should have been explained. You should have sought a refund of the UB charge atleast.

As for the student accounts. Always look past the big carrot that banks offer and get into charges for day to day stuff and interest free overdrafts and loans. Not that I advise you get into a loan and overdraft but for later in college they are very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

In retrospect I should have demanded one, but i was so annoyed by the girls attitude I just said to myself whats the point in even dealing with someone like this.

I have a habit of cutting my nose off to spite my face.

In retrospect I should have demanded one, but i was so annoyed by the girls attitude I just said to myself whats the point in even dealing with someone like this.

I have a habit of cutting my nose off to spite my face.

:)

Ah well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement