Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail & Bike Bags

• 06-06-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Does anybody have any experience with irishrail and bike bags. Do they take them on intercity trains. Do they charge for a bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anybody have any experience with irishrail and bike bags. Do they take them on intercity trains. Do they charge for a bike?

Thanks

Just bring the bike on the train and play dumb when they tell you you need to pay for the bike. Get a ticket from the machine and claim you didn't see a button for bike (there isn't one on the machines)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks, Have looked on their website and there doesn't appear to be any info. on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I brought my bike by bikebag to Killarney last year for the ROK cycle, I got four trains (Heuston-Mallow, Mallow-Killarney both ways), none of the ticket checkers gave the bag a second glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I have travelled the bike in a bag on the train a few times and had no problem.Though it as mainly at times when the train is not busy. Took the single seat ust inside the carrige where there is room for a buggy/wheelchair as you can keep an eye on the bike there and unless you have to give it up for the above its not in anyones way.I think the rules apply to wheel on bikes being limited to 3 apart from Cork train where you book the guards van.

Heuston Station is the only place I ever got asked about it but as it as carry on luggage I was let go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just bring the bike on the train and play dumb when they tell you you need to pay for the bike. Get a ticket from the machine and claim you didn't see a button for bike (there isn't one on the machines)

Poor advice. Not paying for a bike when you should is the same as fare evasion. All you need then is a ticket inspector in a bad mood and you have a 100 euro fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

is it clear that u have to pay? how much is it btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

ipodrocker wrote: »
    is it clear that u have to pay? how much is it btw?

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

Bicycle Information
    On Intercity services Iarnród Éireann can carry a minimum of three bicycles: Dublin’s Heuston to/From Ballina, Westport, Galway, Limerick, Ennis, Tralee, Cork, and Waterford. Dublin Connolly to/from Belfast and Sligo. Bicycles are only accepted on a first come first serve basis. Charges below:

Fares 2009 ~ Bicycles
    up to 56km single/return €2.50/€5.00
    up to 108km single/return €4.00/€8.00
    up to 137km single/return €5.50/€10.50
    over 137km single/return €8.00/€16.00

DART or Commuter trains bicycles cannot be carried unless folded and suitably covered.

I contacted them recently re same and you cannot book your bike onto the train...ie if you turn up with it and there are people (with bikes) ahead of you, your bike does not travel :-(
    However, I doubt that many people take bikes on trains....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

price isnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Does the 'bikebag' that the OP referred to mean a bag into which the various parts of the bike are put into? As in the bike is disassembled and flatpacked for reassembly later? If so then is it not just luggage, a bag of parts, and IE do not seem to have much to say about size and weight allowances?

AFAIK the bicycle rates are a traditional fare for a fully functional bike which went, with the goods being carried, into the guards van.
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I agree with @JMJR. From what I've heard, if it's in a bag, particularly a bag with nothing that would identify the contents as a bicycle, they will just treat it as luggage. I have a friend who removes the front wheel, turns the handlebars and puts the lot into a garbage bag when he wants to get the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

penexpers wrote: »
    Poor advice. Not paying for a bike when you should is the same as fare evasion. All you need then is a ticket inspector in a bad mood and you have a 100 euro fine.

True but in the last six months I've been asked once, although maybe they don't bother because I'm on a monthly ticket. This is the advice given to me at the station.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Lads thanks for the replys my aim is to use the bike bag I have ordered from CRC on the Cork-Dublin train next weekend. Their web site is devoid of any info on luggage restrictions. I'm dambed if i'm paying 16 yo yo's if its dismanteled and in a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand the weight limit on Irish Rail for luggage is 50kg for an adult. If your bike weighs anything like that, the train is the least of your problems. :)
    CHAPTER TWO
    REGULATIONS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO PASSENGER LUGGAGE

2. Weight Allowance
    2.1 Subject to these regulations and conditions the under mentioned passengers are permitted to take with them, without extra charge and irrespective of class of travel, the quantities of luggage set out hereunder: -
    Articles Weight
    (i) Children holding tickets at less than adult fare Personal luggage 25kg / 55lbs
    (ii) Children travelling to or from school Personal luggage 50kg / 110lbs
    (iii) Passengers holding adult tickets (including Free Travel Scheme Ticket Holders) Personal luggage 50kg / 110lbs

For the avoidance of doubt, this concession does not apply to certain animals (other than guide dogs) and articles listed in Condition 4.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Lads thanks for the replys my aim is to use the bike bag I have ordered from CRC on the Cork-Dublin train next weekend. Their web site is devoid of any info on luggage restrictions. I'm dambed if i'm paying 16 yo yo's if its dismanteled and in a bag.
    Which website?

Cork-Dublin train can easily carry 6 bikes.

Advertisement