Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting help

Options
  • 06-06-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

In the 2007 company account there is the following note "A cheque for 670 issued to a supplier had been entered in the books as 760".

Would I be correct in saying you debit creditors 670 and credit creditirs 760? Please help:confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Yes, you increase creditors by 90, if I am correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Think of it in English - according to the books, we have paid the cr's 90 more than we actually have, so we owe the cr's 90 more than we think

therefore the correction is
    Bank 90 dr
    Cr's 90 cr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Think of it in English - according to the books, we have paid the cr's 90 more than we actually have, so we owe the cr's 90 more than we think

therefore the correction is
    Bank 90 dr
    Cr's 90 cr

Cheers. By the way, you do know you can get the correct bank figure without doing that right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

kev9100 wrote: »
    Cheers. By the way, you do know you can get the correct bank figure without doing that right?

Yeah I do but I like to do it both ways to check the figure. It is on the syllabus that they won't give you the Bank's balance. Instead of saying "A bank statement arrived showing an overdraft of 1220" they could just say "A bank statement arrived showing a different closing balance" or something similar.

I usually do a mini bank recon (I don't make a ledger account or anything, I just list the 4 or so figures down and total) and then I do the Bank's point of view (which 99% of the time is just a cheque not presented) and once they are the same, I'm confident that I have the correct bank figure.

Advertisement