Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

study over the summer

Options
  • 06-06-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

should I?Headin into 6th year in september.
    Are other 5th years planning to?is there any point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Don't. It's your last proper break in a long time. Enjoy it!
    6th year is very long and it's quite difficult to stay sane studying from September to June, let alone beforehand... But sure it's your own choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I'd advise against it. If you start studying in June, you will burn yourself out by March. Just enjoy the Summer:).

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

zam wrote: »
    Don't. It's your last proper break in a long time. Enjoy it!
    6th year is very long and it's quite difficult to stay sane studying from September to June, let alone beforehand... But sure it's your own choice!

Couldn't have put it any better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Don't really think there is any need to.

At the very most maybe just try to get all you 5th year notes sorted and filed so you'll know were everything is in Sept.

If you are starting to get anxious maybe re-read your texts for English as light summer reading because the better you know those the higher you score will inevitably be. Also you could make reading the paper a daily routine so you get familiar with the different styles of writing also you'll get ideas for potential essays.

You could maybe look into some language courses because they do really help with fluency for your orals. Also you could maybe read some of the foreign language newspapers to help with comprehensions. They are all available Easons type shops

Also what would be beneficial would be to research all the courses you think you are interested in. If you could have a mock up cao ready to go it means that you'll save a lot of time during the year trying to figure out what you want to do when you should be studying.

You could maybe even look into getting some work experience in some of the areas you are interested in.

Other than that enjoy your summer because as the above replies say 6th year is a long hall and you need to be rested for it.

But even after all that you still want to do a bit of work the IOE runs summer prep course towards end of August which are a good way to get a head start and a good opportunity to pick up their coveted notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i wouldnt study just maybe flick through the exam papers.just to get an idea of what the exam layout looks like....it may help you grasp the amount you need to learn next yr:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Just watch TV documentaries and things like that about subjects you'd be interested in. Read a few books maybe in a subject you'd enjoy.

Don't do any study as such or you will bore yourself silly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Even if we said yes, you wouldn't do it. There's too many distractions in the summertime and unless you have no-life at all you should just have a mad-time.

There's plenty of time next year, tbh it's all a load of ****e, and really hyped up. I could honestly say if you just do your work all year, and cram from halfway through may onwards you can do class.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

People like this do my head in . go out a kick a ball or something , theres bloody more to life then the leaving cert ....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

DO NOT.

firstly making to-do lists that are bound to fail is a sixth year speciality!
    leave it til then!

there's no need.

if your eighteen or close work out your work-play balance for the year.

as yer man said read a book!

just have fun! thats what summers are for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

no dat wud just be dumb becoz u shud be havin fun. do you not have any friends? perhaps u shud join a club?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Don't do it. However, if you had time you could arrange all your notes, in preparation for the 6th year study. People tend to just stuff everything away for the summer, but it's easy to lose notes in 6th due to poor organisation, especially considering you might have notes all over the place from the summer exams

but there is no real need. Go enjoy your summer holidays. I would simply KILL to be on mine now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I echo the thing about organising your notes over the summer. Get ring binders and get a good filing system in place for when you do start studying. This considerably ate into my studying at the start of 6th year so good to get it out of the way!
    Also as far as I know the institute run 2-week language courses over the summer for people going into sixth year, you could do one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

To be honest, there are probably some who haven't started studying for their Leaving Cert on Wednesday, never mind June 8th 2011 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Study during the Summer??
    LOL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

If you are the type of person who is willing to do study over the Summer in preparatin for sixth year, you don't need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Don't bother, seriously. There's more than enough time to get everything done during the LC year. Enjoy your time off, and forget about schoolwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nicolala

I missed a fair bit of school during 5th year due to various reasons so I'm going to be catching up on notes and such this month, and a bit of August, giving myself July off. But if you're not behind, I really wouldn't bother doing anything! Just take the summer off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 whitneymufc2010

do not study during the summer :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

DON'T DO IT
    Much of the LC is essentially learning off a load ay sh**e and by this time next year you'd have forgotten most of it.
    In my most humble opinion:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

No harm in spending an hour every weekend in the summer, it will pay off especially for subjects like maths and science related. I dont see why everyone is saying no to studying in the summer. Its one of the best things you can do; no pressure and plenty of time to go over 5th year stuff. But its your choice in the end...you tend to forget alot after the summer so keeping your brain fresh during the summer isnt a bad idea.

• Advertisement

fufureida wrote: »
    I dont see why everyone is saying no to studying in the summer. Its one of the best things you can do; no pressure and plenty of time to go over 5th year stuff.

Well we're telling him no because;

1) He asked.

2) He should have a life to enjoy over the summer and not be sitting around doing work. Believe me, you'll be so fed up of the whole thing in a years time that you'd give your right arm to go back and enjoy a summer free of study...

Reillyman wrote: »
    Well we're telling him no because;

1) He asked.

2) He should have a life to enjoy over the summer and not be sitting around doing work. Believe me, you'll be so fed up of the whole thing in a years time that you'd give your right arm to go back and enjoy a summer free of study...

how's an hour every weekend killing yourself? I believe that it is scientifically proven that in order to retain information you need to constantly look at it... If he divided 10 minutes per subject every weekend I am pretty sure he will not only stay on top of his work and keep it fresh in his mind but he might even feel better going into 6th year. It's just my opinion, I think ' don't study ' is a really silly thing to say it's like ' oh lul dnt study lyk go brain ded lol lol lol '
    just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Whatever I actually cudn't give a sh1te at this stage, you'll understand next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

The way I see it if you study over summer you'll be dead inside by the time christmas comes round never mind the mocks! You're going to be dead inside once this time of year comes round anyway but theres no need to prolong your suffering.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Whatever I actually cudn't give a sh1te at this stage, you'll understand next year.

I'm doing paper 1 in two days hun, believe ms I know. I'm also a repeat been there done that... But yeah maybe I'm speaking from a cultural perspective. Being asian my parents have always been quite firm with studies and unfortunately I havnt always done well. As a famous person once said, 'an immigrant has to work twice as hard..'.something something! Yeah you get the drift.

But seriously, if your on top of everything and feel you don't need to study, then don't. I just think that keeping important info fresh is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciara_ily

On a rainy day such as today, I'm just writing up notes on things like English and going over Maths. I don't think spending hours a day over summer is good though as you will get fed up easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

With regard to how much study you have to do, that's a highly individual judgment. Only you yourself can know the quantity of work you can and should do. Most advice distributed throughout this thread is based on others' personal experiences. Bear in mind that they might be vastly different to yours, and so not a good indicator as to whether you should study over the summer or not.

However - you must take into account the possibility of burnout. It has been mentioned above in a throwaway fashion, but it is a very real phenomenon, and it can strike people who study for the duration of sixth year, let alone those who begin earlier. Remember - the longer you do anything without a break, the more tired (mentally and physically) you will become. You may not want to hit exam and final revision season this time next year without having had a rest prior to it. It's a terrible feeling to embark on a set of exams already feeling exhausted.

Advertisement