Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-regretable tattoo's

• 06-06-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I want to get my first tattoo but I want to make sure it's something I definitly will not regret in years to come, what are the best themes/designs to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's no such thing as a non-regretable tattoo theme/design.

You have to put time and a lot of thought and consideration into what you want in order to be pretty certain that you won't end up regretting it. Even then that's not a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 asahi

The Simpsons are very popular- what about a nice image of Homer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

asahi wrote: »
    The Simpsons are very popular- what about a nice image of Homer?

lol

for me my tattoos will never be a regret as they are a reminder of what I am or in the future, what I was(possibly?)
    either way it's nothing to regret..

I think I might regret something like a decorative tattoo though as it doesn't define anything in most cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 musicmattersx

haha, or even family guy! yeah i know what you's mean, I want mine to remind me of my family and important stages in my life, i wouldn't get something without any meaning to it, cause i know ill definitly regret it. are there any particular symbols or designs that represent family?! apart from it written in different languages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just don't think the design has to mean something.

• Advertisement

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Just don't think the design has to mean something.

if you NEVER want to regret it then it always should.

you might not even if you just like the look of it but you might do.
    if it was for something then there's always a reason it's on you..as opposed to the reason "got it cos eh..liked it at the time"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

are there any particular symbols or designs that represent family?! apart from it written in different languages!

Are there any particular symbols or designs that represent family to you? Isn't that the important thing, even if they don't mean anything to anyone else?

If you want to get something you won't regret for years to come, it's a good idea to put a couple of years (or at least several months) worth of thought into it before getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

if you get something simple on the top of your back even if you come to hate it least you wouldnt have to look at it all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

SV wrote: »
    if you NEVER want to regret it then it always should.

you might not even if you just like the look of it but you might do.
    if it was for something then there's always a reason it's on you..as opposed to the reason "got it cos eh..liked it at the time"

not true.
    One can easily fall out with family, lose faith in god and decide horoscopes are for morons.

a well drawn design is always aesthetically pleasing, and not bogged down with what you thought you knew about life at 25.

not true.
    One can easily fall out with family, lose faith in god and decide horoscopes are for morons.

a well drawn design is always aesthetically pleasing, and not bogged down with what you thought you knew about life at 25.

No but it shows where you came from.

a design that you find aesthetically pleasing now might not always stay the same.

• Advertisement

No but it shows where you came from.

a design that you find aesthetically pleasing now might not always stay the same.

nor might where you thought you came from....how you feel about that can easily change

nor might where you thought you came from....how you feel about that can easily change

well hardly, if you feel strongly about something to get a tattoo of it then it's obviously going to be a big part of your life(at least for me it is) so it will always be somewhere you came from.

and that's what I mean, if you never want to regret a tattoo it should be based on something like that.
    I'm not saying if you don't do that you will regret the tattoo..but minimise the possibility.

well hardly, if you feel strongly about something to get a tattoo of it then it's obviously going to be a big part of your life(at least for me it is) so it will always be somewhere you came from.

and that's what I mean, if you never want to regret a tattoo it should be based on something like that.
    I'm not saying if you don't do that you will regret the tattoo..but minimise the possibility.

I see tattoos all day everyday that people thought were very meaningful at the time, but now have grown ujp a bit more and are pissed that it is in the way of a sleeve. Loving you family, or god or whatever, is absolutely not the same thing as loving the tattoo you got about it.

If you read back throught vairous posts on this forum, you will frequently see people asserting that they are confident about their potential design because its about "blah". this is a very dangerous thing to do - believing that your tattoo choices are bomb-proof because the "mean something". All the meaning in the world won't help bad placement, workmanship, design or placement.

All the meaning in the world won't help bad placement, workmanship, design or placement.

I'm not talking about that.
    I'm talking about the reasons behind getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

As long as you dont get a tattoo on your face you should be right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Think long and hard about what you want, do lots of looking around (tattoo books/mags/google/etc) for ideas, talk to people you see with tattoos you like the look of (if its well done, ask where they got it - same as when its badly done!). Then when you've settled on something you're happy with, put it to one side for a few weeks. If you're still happy with it after that then go for it.

Thats what I did anyway for my first. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I see tattoos all day everyday that people thought were very meaningful at the time, but now have grown ujp a bit more and are pissed that it is in the way of a sleeve.

Agreed I dont hate this one tattoo that I have but I hate the fact that its in the way of a sleeve.I`d still get the same tattoo but I would have placed it elsewhere looking back on it.
    If you read back throught vairous posts on this forum, you will frequently see people asserting that they are confident about their potential design because its about "blah". this is a very dangerous thing to do - believing that your tattoo choices are bomb-proof because the "mean something". All the meaning in the world won't help bad placement, workmanship, design or placement.

I blame Miami Ink to be honest--every fooking tattoo done on that show has to have a meaning.Its a load of crap.Just go get a tattoo that you think is asthetically pleasing and that you think you can live with forever--you dont have to put a meaning on it.

Advertisement